What's new

St. Matilda's

proxy.php

Apologies for a somewhat hastily done thread, but I'm in the middle of moving and massive overtime at work. However, thanks to a small conversation with @Billski I decided to post this small thread on some recent pictures I've posted. I assume most on here know by now that I love both photography and history greatly, and whenever there's a chance to hike, I'm hiking! So with that, I ventured out a couple weeks ago in search of some small Church ruins and a Cabin. I found the Church very easily enough, and a small cemetery area I was not aware of, but after an hour and a few split trails, no cabin.

So, the Church. Here's a little cut and paste from a small site:
St. Matilda’s was built on land given to Bishop Alexander MacDonnell in 1826 by Peter McGill. In 1828, under the supervision of Anthony Manahan, this small church 43 by 25 feet was built of limestone quarried from a pit a mere 200 feet away. An iron cross, constructed in the Ironworks across the river, was positioned on the peak of the roof.

This little church, built on the west shore of the Crowe River near the dam, was in use until 1874. A burial ground was located on the property, though interments were few owing to the rocky limestone consistency of the ground. One of the interments here was that of John, son of Laughlin Hughes, the first burial to take place in the cemetery. John drowned in the Crowe River near the church.

Founded and attended by Catholic families of the area, nonetheless, this little church served all ministries. It had been built through a community effort that had been supported by the Ironworks and all employed there. Methodist preacher, Reverend Henry Ryan, was one who held services here in 1805.

The old stone church was left to ruin from 1875 until well past the turn of the century. The roof and parts of the walls gradually fell in. The cemetery was left abandoned. In 1964, Fr. Walter Healey and Vincent Lynch lead a project to restore and preserve the remaining walls of this old heritage structure. Their work has become, for members of the community, an annual project to ensure the care and upkeep of the grounds and yet surviving ruins of the original church.

Thanks again @Billski for the idea, and thanks all for reading! Like every good picture should have a good story, every good story should have a good history. Seek, explore, record and have fun! Cheers All!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Excellent work Cash. The power of photography as a documentary tool is one of its greatest strengths. I've always loved the story behind the photo nearly as much as the photo itself.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That's really cool! I love comparing historical and modern pictures of the same sites or structures. Thanks, for exploring and sharing!

@sarimento1
I have thought of that, and will venture out, but it's a very dangerous first bit of trail. You can walk only within about two feet wide for about seventy feet or so along a straight drop down beside a damn. The drop I reckon is at least a hundred feet or so. Still going to try though!

Top Bottom