What's new

St. Johns Bay Rums & West Indian Lime sampling

Hello Gentlemen,

Approximately one month ago I picked up a bottle of St. Johns West Indian Lime aftershave and posted a review, that can be seen here... http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/427295-St-Johns-West-Indian-Lime-Aftershave-Review. After finding complete satisfaction with this splash, my curiosity grew for this company's offerings. I have since picked up some of their soap bars and some samples of their Lime balm, Bay Rum splash & Bay Rum balm. The following is my take on the effects and overall satisfaction of each product's performance/value. My reviews are purely uneducated and quite narrowed down. Not full reviews. Just insight and my brief thoughts. I do not have a degree in cosmetology or chemistry. I speak only from my experience and my level of satisfaction with these products. That said, please remember that "your mileage may vary" and I am only posting this for those who may share the same curiosities to give some kind of light on these fairly expensive shaving/grooming products before taking the plunge.

Please note: I have graded these products on a 1-10 scale. All prices are the same, but I have added a value category as I find they vary, as you will read on.

St. Jonhs West Indian Lime aftershave splash- See link above for full review.

St. Johns West Indian Lime aftershave balm ($42-$48 CDN):
Price: 6 (Expensive)
Scent: 10 (To my nose, this is the real deal. Limes in a bottle)
Efficiency: 9 (Soothing & refreshing. Not much needed, compared to the splash)
Hydration: 9 (Absorbs wonderfully. My face was left moisturised very well, all day, until I couldn't tell due to my beard coming in)
Cooling: 2 (Not very. Slightly more than the splash, but barely noticeable)
Burn: 1 (Little or no burn. I couldn't detect any, however I like high burn, and it may be slightly present. I just couldn't feel it. Though, I'm fairly certain I haven't really used many balms that had burn.)
Presentation: 10 (Just a sample vial, however, the packaging is the same for all products and I rated it as equal to the Lime splash)
Longevity : 7 (Scent lingers for at least 4-5 hours on my person)
Value: 6.5 (See overall for explanation)
Overall: 7 (Excellent balm. Incredible scent. BUT... This balm is a "double edged sword" to me. I like balms in the cooler months and I like lime in the warmer ones. Hence, I find this product to be somewhat not practical. This is purely my opinion. I just don't feel the price and value justifies me considering purchasing this balm in the future. That isn't to say this isn't a high quality balm. It's, like said, "excellent". It's more so the lime/balm mix that, to me, contradicts it's purpose. If you are a lime lover that wears it year round, this would be one to consider for the cooler months and that is why I give it a fairly good rating. It just isn't for me.)

St. Johns Bay Rum splash ($42-$48 CDN):
Scent: 10 (Clove-y, authentic Bay Rum. Period)
Efficiency: 9 (Bracing. Healing splash)
Hydration: 8 (Absorbs very well. My face was left moisturised very well for a better part of the day)
Cooling: 1 (None)
Burn: 7 (This one stumped me. The Lime splash yields one of the highest burns I've experienced. I rated the burn of the Limes higher than Pinaud Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum, and was expecting good things with St. Johns Bay Rum, based on my experience with the Lime & V.I. Bay Rum. It didn't happen. There is definitely some burn and it's higher than mid-range burning aftershaves, but this stuff just didn't produce. I was somewhat let down by it.)
Presentation: 10 (Just a sample vial, however, the packaging is the same for all products and I rated it as equal to the Lime splash)
Longevity : 10 (I could detect bay rum throughout my entire work day. My wife even asked my what aftershave I was wearing that evening.)
Value: 4 (See overall for explanation)
Overall: 4 (I didn't use any mathematics to come up with my rating here. Honestly? It's bay rum. It is sold in 4oz. bottles and edges on $50. Overall, I really enjoyed the product as a sample, but due to the many variables that stack up against this aftershave - like the ridiculous price, lower burn than some bay rums that can be had with over double the volume at 1/4 the price - I can't ever see myself taking the plunge on this one. Seriously.. It's very expensive for a bay rum. Nothing more really needs to be said. If it were price competitively, there is no doubt this would be high up on the shelf of my den. If price is not an issue, go for it. Although, you could buy 3 bottles of (IMHO) superior bay rums and not even hit $50).

St. Johns Bay Rum balm ($42-$48 CDN):
Scent: 10 (Same excellent bay rum scent as their splash)
Efficiency: 9 (Soothing & refreshing. Not much needed, compared to the splash)
Hydration: 9 (Absorbs wonderfully. My face was left moisturised very well, all day, until I couldn't tell due to my beard coming in. Same as the Lime balm)
Cooling: 2 (Not very. Slightly more than the splash, but barely noticeable. Same as the Lime balm)
Burn: 1 (Little or no burn. I couldn't detect any, however I like high burn, and it may be slightly present. I just couldn't feel it. Though, I'm fairly certain I haven't really used many balms that had burn. Same as the Lime balm)
Longevity : 10 (Scent lingered on me for my work day and then some)
Value: 8 (See overall for explanation)
Overall: 8 (Excellent balm. Incredible scent. No "buts" here really. Great performing balm for the cooler months. Plus side is that it's a bay rum, and (to me) it's more suited for a balm formula over lime. The price is just as high as all the others, and I've put a ding in my rating for it, although, that is the only thing that may sway me from purchasing this product, which I won't sway. I will definitely be adding this balm to my collection in the near future. Excellent, excellent balm.)

So that's it... A fairly substantial post with a brief description of each product I have been sampling. All products were sampled at least more than once and I'm comfortable with my judgement of each. In the end this is the long and short of it....

W.I. Lime splash: 8
W.I. Lime balm: 7
Bay Rum splash: 4
Bay Rum balm: 8

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I only have the Bay Rum splash and balm and I'll agree they are priced on the high side. But nevertheless, I like them.

Personally, I "like" 3/4 of the products listed and I'd like to own them all (save the Lime balm, as explained above). I suppose this post was more of an expression of where each of them lie in my own personal value system. Price plays a huge factor when it comes to bay rums for me and (as explained) that is pretty well the biggest factor in St. Johns products. I can personally justify buying 2 of their $50 bottles of aftershaves out of 4, without hesitation, and 1 other if it were priced more competitively/reasonably (While that being the only reason). That's not bad!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I only have the Bay Rum splash and balm and I'll agree they are priced on the high side. But nevertheless, I like them.

As you are a person who owns these, I'd like to know - if at all - my review is in line with your perception of the Bay Rum splash and balm or not. Care to add a little insight for those who may be reading? Do you agree or disagree with my claims at all, aside from the high price?

Last edited:
I have been using St. John's Bay Rum and the lime products since the 60's. I recently started using their balms which I find exceptional. The bay rum is expensive(the 8 oz. bottles are the best value) and I always buy directly from their web site. Someone on this forum previously described St. John's as "....rich and creamy" and I couldn't agree more. Also, good healing properties for using on sunburn, insect bites and scratches. Other bay rums are much cheaper, but to me, they are mostly alcohol with a bay rum scent added. Recommend reading the history of bay rum on the St. John's web page for more insight. Last, but not least, the basket weave bottle looks really cool sitting on your dressing table.

Thank you for your input! A user since the 60's? Now that is some loyalty right there! I agree they are all top shelf performers. As per my review, I stated my personal point of view in a few areas but please, to anyone reading, don't let that take away from these premium products. All of them performed solidly in my sampling. I realize this company has been around a long while, however, I was hesitant on ordering the lime splash at first, as I couldn't find many reviews. It's a company that's stood the test of time. I just wanted to take the time to say a few things about each of the aftershaves, as there may be others out there who aren't too sure about biting the bullet. I will repeat this again. Top shelf stuff. If you feel like taking the leap on any of the above products and don't bat an eye at the pricing, I highly recommend any of these. I agree 100% on the weaved bottle too! Superb presentation, which is why they all receive a perfect 10.

Top Bottom