What's new

Speed Queen?

When we moved into our first house in 2014 it came with a used set of Speed Queen washer / dryer from 1994. When we moved out in 2019, they were still working great. Our new house needed a washer / dryer. I did the research and was discouraged on what Speed Queen was putting out then. I don’t have names or model numbers, but generally from what I read, about 7 years ago they launched a new line of high efficiency washers. I’m guessing they would last a really long time, but the problem is that they weren’t actually washing clothes.

A little further research shows that they also launched a classic line. Not high efficiency. But it also was getting great reviews for cleaning clothes. At the time, it was model # TC5000WN for the washer and model # DC5000WG for the dryer. I’m guessing they may have made some tweaks to the classic line since 2019 and wouldn’t be surprised if there are newer model #s. Going on 5 years later, they’ve worked great and I suspect they will for a long time to come.

I have been looking at the videos as well.The Speed Queen TV2 looks good , but only 3.1 cu ft tub , really small .

We've just learned to do smaller loads. I don't mean that dismissively, it is something to be mindful of, but we kind of found ourselves doing them smaller anyway for sorting reasons and it's worked out for the best anyway. I think if you had a lot of laundry each day or something it might be an issue but for us it's worked out. We haven't tried something like a comforter though; that we just bring to the dry cleaners anyway for materials reasons.

By odd coincidence I saw an ad on TV for Electrolux washers and dryers. Have not heard of them in years. I do remember my mother had one of their drag around vacuum cleaners for a very long time back in the 1950-60s.
Swedish company if I recall. Also made Husqvarna products.

I’ll be buying a new washer and dryer very soon. Is there an option that’s better than Speed Queen? We’ve went through way too many washers and dryers over the years. I want to buy once and done. At my age that can be an option.
Nope. I'm on my second one in 20+ years. The heck with all the electronics and sensors on the new ones. They make about three models I think two are fully mechanical (controls). They just wash clothes with no whiz bang drama. They are also built like a tank. Highly recommended.

Unsure if anything is better, but after several tries at "regular" washers, we bought the Speed Queen. There was one minor repair need early on, which was quickly taken care of under warranty, and we've had no trouble since.

I would not hesitate to recommend or purchase a Speed Queen.

Nope. I'm on my second one in 20+ years. The heck with all the electronics and sensors on the new ones. They make about three models I think two are fully mechanical (controls). They just wash clothes with no whiz bang drama. They are also built like a tank. Highly recommended.
That's what I've been reading as well. SQ went all electronic for a few years , realized their mistake and brought back fully mechanical bullet proof models .

Amazing how far washers have progressed. They saved women a lot of hard work and time . Here's an old Speed Queen amongst others :
Screenshot 2024-03-19 103208.jpg
c95c9c9823b52f8e38a3e159f16d200b.jpg
ec2f6a7eed8ea4b8d5cac1e232ef9792.jpg
e587c012292d75df130b51088f94d109.jpg
167d530ad82f41cdb4421a3156c62a39.jpg
884830fc271b9289218245eed5184393.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wringer type washers are making something of a comeback. There are several manufacturers that offer the wringer or wringer/washer for sale in manual and electric mode.

We have the Maytag commercial. I hope it’s lasts.
Our Bravos XL lasted 8y before the bearings/seal/transmission crapped out in the span of what seemed like 1 weekend.

After having to call in a repairman multiple times to fix my Samsung washer/dryer, I asked him..."so what do you use at your house?"
His response was immediate, Speed Queen.
Bought a new Commercial Heavy Duty set. Has run perfectly for over a year so far.
One thing...AVOID SAMSUNG!!
Worst appliances I have EVER owned.
The amount of play or lack of suspension in Samsung's tubs is astonishing.
I can't imagine using a 5cu or larger with a full load of towels or a King Comforter...

Wringer type washers are making something of a comeback. There are several manufacturers that offer the wringer or wringer/washer for sale in manual and electric mode.

My Aunt used an early 50s wringer washer well into the late 60s, or maybe even later. Knowing her, she may still have had it when she passed away in the 00s. I forgot about those. I'll have to ask my cousin when I see her.

Amazing how far washers have progressed. They saved women a lot of hard work and time . Here's an old Speed Queen amongst others :View attachment 1815044View attachment 1815045View attachment 1815046View attachment 1815047View attachment 1815048View attachment 1815049
I worked with the Amish community and would have lunch at times with them. We would have lunch in the basement and these type of washers were common. Clothes were washed and then hung out on a clothesline.

My mom had a ringer washer up until about 1974. She would wash the cloths and hang them out to dry. It was on our front porch and drained right to the yard. We had no inside plumbing when I was young so there was no sewer or septic to drain it to.

After having to call in a repairman multiple times to fix my Samsung washer/dryer, I asked him..."so what do you use at your house?"
His response was immediate, Speed Queen.
Bought a new Commercial Heavy Duty set. Has run perfectly for over a year so far.
One thing...AVOID SAMSUNG!!
Worst appliances I have EVER owned.
+1 on Samsung, terribly engineered washer (dryer was OK), also terrible fridge. Replaced with LG, no problems.

Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom