What's new

Speed Queen?

I’ll be buying a new washer and dryer very soon. Is there an option that’s better than Speed Queen? We’ve went through way too many washers and dryers over the years. I want to buy once and done. At my age that can be an option.

My comment is coming from left field, but a couple of days ago I was watching a video about front-loading vs top-loading washers. A video appeared in my youtube recommendations, probably because I googled for something while reading @alpster 's recent thread about his Washer/Dryer pedestal. If you are shopping for a new washer, that video is probably worth watching:
But there was one person who may or may not be a repairman in the youtube comments who was championing Speed Queen as being the best washer. The video author, the person who apparently owns Yale Applicance and has data about reliably respectfully disagreed, though he was using 1 year ownership data.

I’ll be buying a new washer and dryer very soon. Is there an option that’s better than Speed Queen? We’ve went through way too many washers and dryers over the years. I want to buy once and done. At my age that can be an option.
We bought Speed Queen washer from ABT 7 years ago based on reliability and reviews. It’s been trouble free and is top loading. We are done with front loaders.
The only thing with Speed Queen is to us it seems a little loud but that loudness seems like the machine is built like a tank.

We bought Speed Queen washer from ABT 7 years ago based on reliability and reviews. It’s been trouble free and is top loading. We are done with front loaders.
The only thing with Speed Queen is to us it seems a little loud but that loudness seems like the machine is built like a tank.

No front loaders for us. I’ll be looking at a set tomorrow

ABT is a bit far for us, we have a more local dealer. My brother bought a Maytag and both washer and dryer went within 3 years. Good thing the had a 5 year warranty.

No front loaders for us. I’ll be looking at a set tomorrow

ABT is a bit far for us, we have a more local dealer. My brother bought a Maytag and both washer and dryer went within 3 years. Good thing the had a 5 year warranty.
I’m not sure if ABT goes out to your area but if you have a more local reliable source so much the better. You could shop ABT online and have them deliver and install.
But shopping at ABT is sometimes like shopping in a Turkish bazaar.

Reactions: Wid
If you are after a tried and true Speed Queen model that is the stuff of legend, they haven't been produced since about 2017. I encourage you to watch applicable videos from Lorain Furniture and Appliances. The snip below should get you started. I spend entirely too much time on YouTube researching whatever piques my interest, which has included these washers. I have also used front-loads, newer high efficiency top-loads, a pre-high efficiency 2009 Whirlpool direct drive top-load and a pre-high efficiency 2014 (pre-2018) Speed Queen top load. I am very much a fan of the older Whirlpool and Speed Queen top load washers. The challenge is how to get a good one unless you are able to refurbish one yourself. I'm Catfish1969, and that's the way I see it...

1707528893962.png

I ended up getting the Speed Queen TC5003. It has the traditional agitator not the one that’s attached to the drum (TR series) Plus a matching electric dryer although it was last years model. Save a lot on the dryer.

Supposed to be here next Saturday. Also asked who would I call if I needed service. The service is provided by the same shop I bought if from. Happy about that too.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'll be getting a new washer and dryer when I move back to Nashville in late April, Rick. The last set I had lasted a little over 20 years.

I'll be getting a new washer and dryer when I move back to Nashville in late April, Rick. The last set I had lasted a little over 20 years.

Most of these newer sets won’t do that Eric. That’s why we decided to get the Speed Queen. My brother bough Maytag Commercial and both the washer and dryer were replaced within 3 years. Good thing they were under warranty.

Feel bad I missed this earlier. We have a Speed Queen we inherited with the house and it's been really reliable and sturdy. It's one of the older type Speed Queens you can't buy anymore but I suspect the newer ones are similar, based on visiting appliance stores and looking into them a bit.

If you're looking for a top-loader, I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending them. (Maybe even a front loader too, but I don't have experience with their front loaders.)

My only advice is to think about them more as a tool rather than a "push the button and forget it" washing machine. My only complaint is it can be a little rough on clothes, but even that is less of a problem than some other brands we've had, and seems to be mitigated just fine by just washing everything on more delicate cycles.

Most of these newer sets won’t do that Eric. That’s why we decided to get the Speed Queen. My brother bough Maytag Commercial and both the washer and dryer were replaced within 3 years. Good thing they were under warranty.
We have the Maytag commercial. I hope it’s lasts.

After having to call in a repairman multiple times to fix my Samsung washer/dryer, I asked him..."so what do you use at your house?"
His response was immediate, Speed Queen.
Bought a new Commercial Heavy Duty set. Has run perfectly for over a year so far.
One thing...AVOID SAMSUNG!!
Worst appliances I have EVER owned.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I agree. The upside to commercially build machines is their longevity and the down side is they produce more noise.

I have noticed that any appliance these days tends towards the landfill much faster than before. We all have stories about how old our washers etc were before being replaced and I'm no different. I had a w/d combo that went over 20 years as did my dishwasher, fridge, stove etc. What's allowing us to not replace these things more often is we are retired and don't use them as much as a larger family would. I think.

I had a long conversation with a washer/dryer repair guy about a month ago. He's been in the business 40 years. He said Maytag was the bomb several years ago but now they're crap as they're Whirlpool products now. Whirlpool bought Maytag several years ago. He says none of the machines are what they used to be but Speed Queen is probably the best of them.

Top Bottom