What's new

Speakeasy RIP

I seem to recall the bottle being a bit harsh to start. By end was really smooth. Not a complex dram as it's too young, but tasty.
Sweetness of a Highland but more peat than a Dalwhinnie. Maybe closer to HP or Bowmore?
That is a perfect description - or at least I know where to place it! Thank you!

I finished this one up tonight...been around for awhile but it's good stuff.
proxy.php

How was it? I had a guy at my local store was talking it up pretty heavily and trying to convince me to buy a bottle.

It's always in my rather small Whisky/Bourbon rotation. It really is quite good and I love serving it to folks who've never had it before because they're usually buying a bottle the next day.

:sailor:

How was it? I had a guy at my local store was talking it up pretty heavily and trying to convince me to buy a bottle.

I consider it the best "generally available" bourbon. IMO it is better than just about any other easily procurable, "main stream" bourbon. There are more expensive, rarer bourbons that are better, as well as some phenomenal micro-distiller offerings. But you can walk into almost any liquor store and find Blantons. At $50/bottle it's not cheap, so for me it's more of a special occasion bourbon. But it IS worth the price and I almost always have some in my cabinet.

I consider it the best "generally available" bourbon. IMO it is better than just about any other easily procurable, "main stream" bourbon. There are more expensive, rarer bourbons that are better, as well as some phenomenal micro-distiller offerings. But you can walk into almost any liquor store and find Blantons. At $50/bottle it's not cheap, so for me it's more of a special occasion bourbon. But it IS worth the price and I almost always have some in my cabinet.
Sigh.....So many bourbons to try!

@Haggises - What compare to the Ardmore. I can not get it in VA (actually never have seen it) I am intrigued - compare to Highland Park - Peated but smooth?

Edit: for spelling

Ardmore is the main component in Teacher's Highland Cream. I personally like Teacher's but I think I'm alone in that opinion. I bought a bottle of Ardmore and found the finish a bit bitter. In this instance, I actually prefer the blend (Teacher's).

The 3017 is a thread for items you are trying to use up or finish. Is that correct?
Yes. Start a soap or cream, stick with it until it's dead. It's a philosophy to learn how to get the best performance out of something, to really get to know a product, and to finally use one up and get it off the darn shelf.
Apply 3017 to anything you like.

Yes. Start a soap or cream, stick with it until it's dead. It's a philosophy to learn how to get the best performance out of something, to really get to know a product, and to finally use one up and get it off the darn shelf.
Apply 3017 to anything you like.
Do you gents feel like this could be a good thing here at the Speakeasy? Would folks like to stick with one "item" until it is ready for the RIP?

Rest in peace my first bottle of Coldcock - you sweet herbal Whiskey. I only got you because you were on sale a couple weeks ago but I'm glad I met you. Should our paths cross again In the sale bin I won't turn you away-but for now I've had my fill.
proxy.php

The title says it all. Please post pics of those wonderful bottles of joy that have given their all for your well being!!! It can be a bottle of beer, wine, or spirit. It doesn't matter. We shall bow our heads in reverence to those bottles who have given their final measure!!

Here's mine from tonight, a bottle of Buffalo Trace that gave its final 2 oz. for an Old Fashioned.
View attachment 680115

That's so sad, sorry for your loss :a54:

I managed to kill off an Auchentoshan American Oak and the last of the Highland Park Einar by bringing them to a local gathering.
I never liked the first and preferred many others to the latter.
More room on the shelf!

Top Bottom