What's new

Souplex Owners Club

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
No real close modern comparisons that I can think of atm. The Souplex seems most similar to my ABC old types which are thin caps, and sort of similar/close feel to the NEW LC/SC all of which are excellent as well. The Souplex may be more aggressive than you'd like. You could pick up a decent useable NEW quickly and cheaply $20-30 on auction and give it a try for a general idea. Others may have different views.
Thx, @Obetron Rex . I do have a Knockout Razor and it has more blade feel than the other razors I have... Not that I got a bad shave... but the feel was a bit unexpected.

I think my Rocnel Elite 2022 is my most efficient razor and I love the shaves I get from it....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just won an eBay auction yesterday so it looks like I'm going to be joining this small group, perhaps by the end of the month, depending on the Royal Mail and USPS.

I do hope the Souplex doesn't prove to be more than I can handle. I'll start off with a medium sharp blade like a Wizamet to give myself some wiggle room. I look forward to reporting back my observations.

I just won an eBay auction yesterday so it looks like I'm going to be joining this small group, perhaps by the end of the month, depending on the Royal Mail and USPS.

I do hope the Souplex doesn't prove to be more than I can handle. I'll start off with a medium sharp blade like a Wizamet to give myself some wiggle room. I look forward to reporting back my observations.
You’ll be fine…it’s a fantastic little razor. Very unassuming and minimalist but capable of a top grade shave. If your skin/beard combination doesn’t object then ATG is where it excels. Wizamet , Astra Green , Perma Sharp , Nacet and Personna Lab have all delivered a DFS for me with the Souplex.
Look forward to your reports and welcome to the world of Souplex🤜💥🤛

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You’ll be fine…it’s a fantastic little razor. Very unassuming and minimalist but capable of a top grade shave. If your skin/beard combination doesn’t object then ATG is where it excels. Wizamet , Astra Green , Perma Sharp , Nacet and Personna Lab have all delivered a DFS for me with the Souplex.
Look forward to your reports and welcome to the world of Souplex🤜💥🤛
I do a 4 pass shave... 2 XTG passes and that final ATG pass... I have all the blades you mentioned... I haven't used a Russian Astra SP Green since my first shave, over 2 years ago now... because that shave was so horrible. <eg> But I love the other ones you mentioned. I should revisit the Astra Greens again.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A Souplex / Shulton shave - the Hydrogel post shave is worth a try if you can find it. The Souplex is a great shaver but it commands respect - take it for granted and it will bite!

20240422_185311~2.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A Souplex / Shulton shave - the Hydrogel post shave is worth a try if you can find it. The Souplex is a great shaver but it commands respect - take it for granted and it will bite!

View attachment 1833991
I wish mine would get out of the UK... It's still waiting for transport out of the country.... It's been in LANGLEY HWDC for days.... though tracking says it's been processed through that facility. It was shipped the next day, so the seller did his job....

As you can probably tell... patience is not one of my virtues.

@Phoenixkh It's probably just due to the tracking not being updated promptly. I just had a 7 O'clock go through Langley that showed the same delay and just showed up today with tracking not updated. USPS tracking is not very good for international shipments in my experiences. Now I have a #16 set going through there that will probably show the same delay and just show up one of these days before they update the tracking....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh It's probably just due to the tracking not being updated promptly. I just had a 7 O'clock go through Langley that showed the same delay and just showed up today with tracking not updated. USPS tracking is not very good for international shipments in my experiences. Now I have a #16 set going through there that will probably show the same delay and just show up one of these days before they update the tracking....
I got an update today... It cleared customs at ISC New York and made it to a Queens Regional Facility, so all is well.

Yep, it's either a 1945-50 Double Six Minor or possibly a mid 40s Double Six (can't see markings on baseplate)

Here's a quick rundown on what I've learnt so far. I'm sure a lot of it could be wrong, there isn't much info on Souplex. They're more a supplier than consumer facing brand like Wardonia.

Double Six, 1st gen.
Date: Early to mid 1930s
Markings: Made in England ... Regd.No. 791669
Colours: UF ivory, PF walnut (black/ivory two tone?)
Shave: Mild to medium, light asymmetrical effect.

The 1st gen has a very nice mild, slightly steep shave. This 'slightly steep' characteristic sets the theme for all other generations. Blade alignment can be fiddly if the cap thread has lost its plastic collar.

1stgen.jpg

Double Six, 2nd gen.
Date: ~1936 to late 30s/early 40s.
Markings: Made in England ... Pat.No. 433166
Colours: UF ivory, PF walnut, black/ivory two tone.
Shave: Mild to medium, very light asymmetrical effect.

Early models have the same cap as the 1st gen, later ones have a new mould with shorter/wider pegs for improved blade alignment. I'm not 100% sure if there's a difference between the two sides.
Slightly more aggressive than the 1st gen with a more rigid blade clamp and a touch more blade exposure. It's still a mild and easy to use razor.
Blade alignment can be fiddly, especially if the cap thread has lost its plastic collar.

The museum of design in plastics has a wonderful Pyrota branded two tone travel set. These 1930s Double Sixes are utterly brilliant, easy to use but distinct from other brands. What a fantastic decade for DEs.

2ndgen.jpg

Double Six, 3rd gen.
Date: Early to mid 40s.
Markings: Made in ... England ... mould no
Colours: PF black, PF brown.
Shave: Mild/medium to aggressive? Medium-large asymmetrical effect?

The WW2 razor and first Souplex with a Gillette tech style guard. Many come in small boxes marked 1944, I've seen a metal cap version with log/thin pins. UF seems to disappear from consumer plastics over this period.
Screenshot_20240412-183746~3.png

**Speculation**
Post WW2 model refresh. The National replaces Double Six Combless, Double six Minor replaces Double Six and maybe the Minor replaces the open comb, matching the three Souplex blade brands?

Double Six Minor, 1st gen.
Date: Mid 40s throughout the 50s.
Markings: Made in England ... mould no
Shave: Mild/medium to very aggressive, large asymmetrical effect.
Similar to the 3rd gen Double Six with wider lather slots. 1950s models get the new handle style.
Mega aggressive one side, mild/steep on the other. Not something you'd use everyday but super fun to use when your in the mood.

Early model (45-50) on the wiki (there's a pic of an early double six Minor cardboard box on another shaving forum, it's similar to the national and minor)

SixSixMinor1stgen.png

1950s Double Six Minor.

Minor, 1st gen.
Colours: UF ivory, PF walnut.
Shave: Medium aggressive, medium asymmetrical effect.

Early models have a cap with log/thin pins (from the 3rd gen Double Six?) but gets replaced a new cap with shorter/thicker pins not long after. 1950s razors get the new handle style.
Stealth aggressive thanks to a longitudinal blade curve and extra weight from the cap. Very efficient.

img_20240404_153100648-jpg.1823522

Very early Minor

Minor1stgen.png

1950s Minor.

Double Six Minor, 2nd gen.
Date: Late 50s/60s.
Shave: Medium aggressive?

As described by mjclarke here > Shaving With The Souplex Double Six - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shaving-with-the-souplex-double-six.383550/post-7708787

The baseplate has wider lather holes and the blade is clamped further back.

Minor, 2nd gen.
Colours: UF ivory, PF brown.
Shave: Medium aggressive, with medium asymmetrical effect.
Same baseplate as the 2nd gen Double Six Minor, I think these keep the same curved metal cap as the 1st gen Minor.

Minor, 3rd gen.
Date: 60s?
Colours: UF ivory.
Shave: Mild medium.
Maybe the last Souplex razor?
proxy.php

Handle styles.
PXL_20240419_122142662~2.jpg

Left: 1930s-40s sharp ridge. Right: 1950s-60s round ridge. Both styles come in various sizes depending on case/set.

Caps.
PXL_20240424_101931338~2.jpg

Threads can loose their plastic collar, this doesn't effect durability but can make blade alignment more fiddly.

Plastics.
UF and PF moulding flash can be scraped/removed with a craft knife. 1930s PF surfaces can be a bit smelly when rough, this can be buffed/polished out but I'd avoid baseplates with a worn/matt surface (although it doesn't effect performance)

Last edited:
Yep, it's either a 1945-50 Double Six Minor or possibly a mid 40s Double Six (can't see markings on baseplate)

Here's a quick rundown on what I've learnt so far. I'm sure a lot of it could be wrong, there isn't much info on Souplex. They're more a supplier than consumer facing brand like Wardonia.

Double Six, 1st gen.
Date: Early to mid 1930s
Markings: Made in England ... Regd.No. 791669
Colours: UF ivory, PF walnut (black/ivory two tone?)
Shave: Mild to medium, light asymmetrical effect.

The 1st gen has a very nice mild, slightly steep shave. This 'slightly steep' characteristic sets the theme for all other generations. Blade alignment can be fiddly if the cap thread has lost its plastic collar.

View attachment 1835707

Double Six, 2nd gen.
Date: ~1936 to late 30s/early 40s.
Markings: Made in England ... Pat.No. 433166
Shave: Mild to medium, very light asymmetrical effect.

Early models have the same cap as the 1st gen, later ones have a new mould with shorter/wider pegs for improved blade alignment. I'm not 100% sure if there's a difference between the two sides.
Slightly more aggressive than the 1st gen with a more rigid blade clamp and a touch more blade exposure. It's still a mild and easy to use razor.
Blade alignment can be fiddly, especially if the cap thread has lost its plastic collar.

The museum of design in plastics has a wonderful Pyrota branded two tone travel set. These 1930s Double Sixes are utterly brilliant, easy to use but distinct from other brands. What a fantastic decade for DEs.

View attachment 1835708

Double Six, 3rd gen.
Date: Early to mid 40s.
Markings: Made in ... England ... mould no
Colours: PF black, PF brown.
Shave: Mild/medium to aggressive? Medium-large asymmetrical effect?

The WW2 razor and first Souplex with a Gillette tech style guard. Many come in small boxes marked 1944, I've seen a metal cap version with log/thin pins. UF seems to disappear from consumer plastics over this period.
View attachment 1835412

**Speculation**
Post WW2 model refresh. The National replaces Double Six Combless, Double six Minor replaces Double Six and maybe the Minor replaces the open comb, matching the three Souplex blade brands?

Double Six Minor, 1st gen.
Shave: Mild/medium to very aggressive, large asymmetrical effect.
Similar to the 3rd gen Double Six with wider lather slots. 1950s models get the new handle style.
Mega aggressive one side, mild/steep on the other. Not something you'd use everyday but super fun to use when your in the mood.

Early model (45-50) on the wiki (there's a pic of an early double six Minor cardboard box on another shaving forum, it's similar to the national and minor)

View attachment 1835704
1950s Double Six Minor.

Minor, 1st gen.
Shave: Medium aggressive, medium asymmetrical effect.

Early models have a cap with log/thin pins (from the 3rd gen Double Six?) but gets replaced a new cap with shorter/thicker pins not long after. 1950s razors get the new handle style.
Stealth aggressive thanks to a longitudinal blade curve and extra weight from the cap. Very efficient.

img_20240404_153100648-jpg.1823522

Very early Minor

View attachment 1835705
1950s Minor.

Double Six Minor, 2nd gen.
Shave: Medium aggressive?

As described by mjclarke here > Shaving With The Souplex Double Six - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shaving-with-the-souplex-double-six.383550/post-7708787

The baseplate has wider lather holes and the blade is clamped further back.

Minor, 2nd gen.
Colours: UF ivory, PF brown.
Shave: Medium aggressive, with medium asymmetrical effect.
Same baseplate as the 2nd gen Double Six Minor, I think these keep the same curved metal cap as the 1st gen Minor.

Minor, 3rd gen.
Date: 60s?
Colours: UF ivory.
Shave: Mild medium.
Maybe the last Souplex razor?
proxy.php

Handle styles.
View attachment 1835409
Left: 1930s-40s sharp ridge. Right: 1950s-60s round ridge. Both styles come in various sizes depending on case/set.

Caps.
View attachment 1835410
Threads can loose their plastic collar, this doesn't effect durability but can make blade alignment more fiddly.

Plastics.
UF and PF moulding flash can be scraped/removed with a craft knife. 1930s PF surfaces can be a bit smelly when rough, this can be buffed/polished out but I'd avoid baseplates with a worn/matt surface (although it doesn't effect performance)
A huge thanks for the time you took to compile this encyclopedic reply @creamgravy! Greatly appreciated.

It should be with me in about 24-36 hours and we can then confirm the model.

Cheers mate!

Check out this USA made 1st gen Double Six. The 'Slant Stroke' looks like an official Souplex attempt at the US market, like Eclipse with the Neillite.

dscf9790-jpg.710133

I think the 2093851 licence (1937) covers the 4 corner baseplate extrusions and the mild asymmetry/slant for US sales?

PXL_20240421_091750876.MP~2.jpg

You can see the difference between the two guards here. Like most Double sixes one side shaves a little steeper, the other a little shallower. I wouldn't bet against a teeny tiny slant in there somewhere too..

Here's a 3rd gen too! Ultra cool Slant-Stroke bakelite DE razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ultra-cool-slant-stroke-bakelite-de-razor.137747/

Last edited:
Top Bottom