What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

GN: Are the prices of Sunsing in HK dollars or US dollars? In the first case, they look rather nice. In the other one, they look quite high.

Okay...

First up was Mengsong Gu Yun, presumably from 2011. Dry leaf aroma was strong. Soup aroma was strong. Soup reasonably thick and smooth. Somewhat fruity in taste. A little bit of qi. No huigan, but some yun that sits in the throat nicely. Related to that no huigan is the fact that there is very little bitterness, and this doesn't feel quite right. Summer leaves? Processing? In comparison with Nadacha Baotang, better flavor, aroma, much weaker in terms of qi, huigans, activity in the mouth, and not nearly as good an aging prospect. A drink now sort of tea.

Next up was Da Qiaoumu Bulang from 2011 (no factory/maker info). Pretty basic fail on a pass/fail basis. Leaves are overroasted/poorly processed, and the resulting soup is hollow and non-bitter. Like eating a salad with iceberg lettuce, but with only a bit of thinly shaved carrots and perhaps a few leaves of basil or some other leafy spice. There is aroma for the first couple of brews, and then it comes and goes. Decent thickness and smoothness. Has mild-moderate qi--the original leaves are not nearly a good as the YS '09 Bulang xiaobings that got Xiaguan'd. What frills of flavors there are does stay in the mouth a long time. The Tiandiren Bulang is the better tea, obviously. Looks like Chinese tea makers are still slow on the whole concept of natural strength in bitterness.

2007 Yexiangwang Tiepai again... I enjoy this teas' qi. There are aspects of it that I am not a fan of, but I like its density and staying power.

SOTD: Terre de Ciel Spring 2012 NanNuo Shan. The soup was rather typical of a very green young sheng - no oxidation here. The first few steepings were rather aromatic. I found the taste to be on the stronger side although I may have used slightly more leaf and slightly longer brewing times than normal. Although I haven't had the EoT 2012 Nannuo again recently, I think this is in the same league. This was a very durable tea and not overly light at all. I really noticed the qi as well which was energizing. The cost is reasonable at 24 euros or about $30 per 200g cake. The owner of the shop said that this tea is from dashu as (big tree) as opposed to gushu (ancient tree). On the website they state "This tea comes from the old Bama trees in Nannuo Shan: a region in altitude, still well-preserved" All-in-all I would say this is a good young sheng.

First tea today was a Tao Cha Ju Lao Man'E from 2008 and which has been humid stored in southern china since. Not durable, along the lines of the CGHT Ban'e behavior. That said, it was excellent. Chocolate and pungent woods in such a way that it evokes a rich man's '97 Henli Chang (so it's something that GN? probably should look into acquiring). The heated leaves smelled wonderfully woody, and similarly, the pour aroma. The cup aroma was good, and the taste was complex. Weak huigans. Mild-moderate qi. Flavor stays in mouth for long while. Lasts about 8 material brews. Was bitter like Man'E is famous for being, but quite tolerable, and it anchored the flavor profile nicely. Thick enough, smooth enough.

Second tea was a Zhongcha "fake" from '05. Not sure how it can be fake as it's from the time period when the brand was not enforced. Anyways, simply described as being like a cheap Xiaguan, broadly speaking (but not smoky).

Second tea was a Zhongcha "fake" from '05. Not sure how it can be fake as it's from the time period when the brand was not enforced. Anyways, simply described as being like a cheap Xiaguan, broadly speaking (but not smoky).

I suppose fake is the wrong word, "Tiepai" is probably right (Tiepai meaning pasted brand, where they slap a wrapper on whatever) What is the best way to convey that?

Yeah, nobody typically bothers to care. Oh look! It's a Zhoncha wrapper! Life is like a jian of pu, you never know what you'll get! Before 2006, it pretty much means less than nothing, unless it's a Kumning Factory issue.

Yiwu Gu Yun, presumably 2011. Was hoping for GFZ, but it tastes more traditionally Yiwu. The flavor is most like the Da Qiu Shi Yiwu I've had from Zhen Si Long. At first, I was thinking Ding Jia Zhai because of the somewhat fruity nature, but not enough cooked grains. Didn't think Gaoshanzhai because the brew only has a light Yiwu fragrance. Obviously not Mahei or GFZ (as I understand the regions), and a bit heavy for Luol Shui Dong. Aaaanyways, I'm not a fan of young Yiwu, and I'm sorta picky about non-GFZ Yiwu anyways. Give me JingGu any day (the good stuff). The liquour is a little thin. Smooth, though. Moderate qi. Nothing really wrong with the flavor, but nothing exceptional. Durability is only okay. If this was off a cake I own, I would have had very little trouble leaving the cake aside for 7 years.

Banna Gu Yun, presumably 2011, and it contains Lao Man'e and Mengsong. As a drink now phenomenon, it's more to my taste than the Yiwu. Lightly Xiaguan'd with Banna leaves. So think... as if the '06 Jin Se Yun Xiang was a 7542, this Banna Gu Yun is like a young 8582. Bigger leaves, more broad and leafy flavor. Obviously not something really worth aging, but very pleasant. Light qi, acceptable thickness, and smooth like the rest. Decent aroma, some bursts of camphor. Not particularly bitter, given Lao Man'e rep.

well some 8582 805 got tired of scorched fingers so i switched to these. harder to drink out of but it saves the fingers
proxy.php

Last edited:
nff, I don't mind the trade off on double walled cups - lately I have been using a double-walled gongbei that is quite nice. I don't like how the cups hit your lips, but the lack of scorching has a lot of upside.

Can I recommend the Bodum Pavina double wall tumbler? The shape is just ideal, whether for handling, sipping or smelling. I brew in one, drink from another. The heat retention for those long, late brews of sheng - after flash infusion if the leaf is all cold and expanded - is better than anything. (Cap the brewing glass with anything non-conductive.) I have yixing etc, but I prefer this way. The leaves swim free, the brew is visible, rapid pour, and no scalded fingers. (I know, I know, another rural Australian improv, verging on the barbarous.)

Had a nice '04 MH organic fangcha today, one of the little 100gm affairs. Floral nose, tight aniseedy flavour. Prefer the common non-organic fangcha of '05, but this was good.

Cheers all

Rob

'05 8653--really not to my taste. I like the FT #6, but non FT Xiaguan are below my standard for drinking, and this one is inferior to the Zhongcha tiepai. Dumped it quickly and later brewed me some XZH XiShangMeiShao '07 (now there's a '12 version). Top taste is pretty different than it used to be, not very fruity at all, and mostly cooked grains. Essentially a session kin to what you'd get from Bingdao. Subtle top taste, great aftertastes, long huigans, great *moving* qi, subtle floral elements in aroma.

Today I started by breaking open my first Bannacha order. It included a few free samples. I started with the 2012 Jingmai 100g xiao bing. (Cost is 15 euros or about $20.) It had a typical Jingmai taste although maybe a bit on the light side. Aroma was decent as was mouthfeel, etc. It did seem to fade a bit quickly. I would say that this was a decent but not outstanding example of Jingmai. I think the price is roughly in the ballpark of the Tea Urchin Jingmai (need to retry my sample.) I hurried on to the other Jingmai tea they offer - the 2012 Mangjing. This is supposed to be from old trees while the Jingmai is from "ancient" trees. This tea has a much stronger, bolder taste. The qi was noticeable but not overpowering although I can't really say what the effect of each tea was since I drank them back to back. This tea was a different type of Jingmai and in fact it reminded me somewhat of the 2008 Puersom Jingmai which is very bold. The 2009 Puersom Jingmai is a lighter, more floral tea. I think the 2008 will age well as will this Mangjing I think. I quite liked the Mangjing, which was 20 euros for 200g or about $26. So converting to to 400g cake, the Jingmai is about $80 while the Mangjing is about $52. I think the Mangjing may have faded a bit early but I did overstep a brew or two so I'll have to take more notice next time.

I then went on to a third tea (never a good idea) - the 2010 Mengku - a sample from Bannacha. The first few steepings struck me as light and sweet with some flavors which may be close to the "rose petal" description on the vendor's page. The interesting flavors faded after 2 or 3 steepings though. I will also have to try this one alone again.

Anyway, Bannacha seems to make some decent teas. I have several more samples to get through including the 2011 Na Jiao, the 2003 Mengku (plantation), the 2010 DaXueShan, the 2010 Tengzi Cha, and the 2011 Mahei.

"Banna Gu Yun" from TwoDog - what a lovely tea! Kind of awesome actually. I guess it is the same Banna Gu Yun that Hobbes wrote about - honey and medicinal sounds just like it. After the bad experience with Houde packaging, I went to check other pouches with samples to see if the uncommon aroma and taste are really in the tea and not just in the package - and they are not, yet there are many other great smelling samples waiting for me to get better.

It is funny, drinking these medicinal herbal extracts, syrups and all that, then coming back to tea and picking just the sample with very similar taste :)

"Banna Gu Yun" from TwoDog - what a lovely tea! Kind of awesome actually. I guess it is the same Banna Gu Yun that Hobbes wrote about - honey and medicinal sounds just like it.

Same one, I am really big fan of this one.

SOTD: 2008 Spring Nannuo Gushu - still needs more age, but I guess this tea will be something very special in a few more years. The astringency dips and rises, and it is very bold in comparison to some more "friendly" nannuos I have had that won't age as well. Strong qi.

Treated myself to the last of the XZH Puzhen '07 that I hacked out and tinned before I realized I could never buy another (Birthday was Sunday, but that was all football watching, so...). Top of the line top taste, in its way--vanilla, garden florals, legumes ranging from sweet green/red beans, tofu, and kudzu leaf/florals. Magnificent, reasonably strong, and complex aroma. Lasting aftertastes, and plenty of huigans. Qi was there, but it wasn't as strong or as nice as XiShangMeiShao. One of my best teas, and looks to be retaining and improving in qualities. Never has been tremendously durable (I tried the 5 hours rest thing to no new fruitiness), and the soup could be thicker. Very much a dessert tea, especially if it ever develops a sweet sensation to go with all of those sweet flavors.

TwoDog2, many Nannuo start out pretty quiet and eventually gets louder in flavor as they age, so I was wondering, could you describe what is meant about "friendly"? Interesting remark about the qi--never had a Nannuo with especially strong qi. The XZH loose maocha from '06 had some ill-thought out oolong processing, so it was always iffy whether one would get a good or bad session, but I never got much in the way of qi. The Yakou and Douyizhai Nannuo I've had also didn't have tremendous qi. I have tried very few Nannuo, though. Feeling better about Green Bay? Cutler provides!

Today it is 2003 Dayi Bada Gao Shan Bowl (finepuer) - what a nice tea? After a whole of day of talking, talking, talking, it is a pleasant change. Really smooth, a lot of sweetness and garden fruit, very nice hui gan. Maybe not that strong (there is a lot of tips which could explain that), but it has certainly aged into a very pleasant tea.

Top Bottom