What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

Wow, that is a beautiful purple bud. Reminds me that I need to have another session of my red bud. After I finish up my morning green, that is next on the tea menu.

About to drink some 70's ZhiYe loose leaf from Nada's shop (which is currently down).

Woody and rich. Lots of dust early on. Cooling in the early to middle infusions. Pleasant huigan develops as the infusions go on. Not overly complex and not much cha qi. Still a tasty cup!

Last edited:
proxy.php

10 year old Yunnan Jing Mai Mountain wild puerh. One of my favourite raw puerh teas; very mild and earthy.

Using my new glass pitcher and one of four white celadon cups from www.jas-etea.com

Regards.

Jakob

After being out of action for a while (vacation + getting over a cold), I decided to jump back in with the subject offering. I actually brewed the parts that fell out of the wrapper when unpacking the bing in a gaiwan. I know, it is not necessarily the best part (mostly bits and crushed leaves) but the result was good none the less. The first four steaps were basically flash rinse that yield deep colored soups. It took about three steaps to shake off the Taiwanese wet-storage (which has not tampered with the yumminess of the cake). This tea has good durability and leaves a good feel in the mouth and tongue. I look forward to trying this one again with proper leaves in a clay teapot :biggrin:!

Ok, where is everybody (Watching Paraguay battling it out with Japan in the World Cup)? Looks like this is going to be back-to-back post on SOTD. Anyway, I am enjoying the 2005 Purple Brick :biggrin:! Despite its 5 years of age (approximately), it still has some nice fruitiness to it. Note to self - need to compare it to its 2008 and 2010 incarnation (another puerh to be purchased - so much puerh so little time...).

Last edited:
1996 Menghai 8582 - Dry leaves smell very much like shu. Moderately woody. Sweetness develops and the funky shu-ness fades after a few infusions.

sounds like wet stored, I've a similar version coming your way =)

I figured that's what it was. It's a lot stronger in that tea than the thick-papered YYX. I also had tons of interruptions and meetings which damaged the session. That said, the last 8 or so infusions were really very nice.

Ok, where is everybody (Watching Paraguay battling it out with Japan in the World Cup)?

I'm stuck in Lyon (France), but have some miscellaneous Simao maocha from a 2007 trip to Beijing for my SotD. It's ridiculously hot here, and I'm dressed like an Englishman (i.e., too many clothes), so this cooling shengpu is very welcome :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It is my understanding that even the English birthday suit involves too many clothes.

I'm stuck in Lyon (France), but have some miscellaneous Simao maocha from a 2007 trip to Beijing for my SotD. It's ridiculously hot here, and I'm dressed like an Englishman (i.e., too many clothes), so this cooling shengpu is very welcome :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

It is my understanding that even the English birthday suit involves too many clothes.

So... to avoid "It's getting hot in here...let's take off all our clothes" (yes that tune Nelly sang :ihih:), Hobbes proposes the ultra cooling miscellaneous 2007 Simao Maocha. Any other recommendations out there for cooling maocha or puerh :biggrin:?

1996 Menghai 8582 - Dry leaves smell very much like shu. Moderately woody. Sweetness develops and the funky shu-ness fades after a few infusions.

I'm guessing that this came from Nada? My sessions with this have been mixed. Some have been good, while others have left me feeling "meh." By the sample was done it was 2-3 and my wallet was saved this additional expense.

I'm guessing that this came from Nada? My sessions with this have been mixed. Some have been good, while others have left me feeling "meh." By the sample was done it was 2-3 and my wallet was saved this additional expense.

You are correct. This is from Nada. I bought enough for 5-6 sessions so I could play with the parameters a bit.

Maitre, didn't you send me some of this a while ago? I think it was you. Anyways, I remember liking the tea. It was a very stout and robust tea. Not much wet storage but also not very complex. It's a good tea but again, once you add on the shipping costs it's not really worth it in my opinion.

Maitre, didn't you send me some of this a while ago? I think it was you. Anyways, I remember liking the tea. It was a very stout and robust tea. Not much wet storage but also not very complex. It's a good tea but again, once you add on the shipping costs it's not really worth it in my opinion.

Maybe, it might have been me...

For an aged sheng from a western-oriented vendor, I think it's a pretty good deal.

For an aged sheng from anywhere else (including Asia), it's still an alright deal.

Top Bottom