What's new

Something I picked up on eBay

Very nice score, great price too. All teeth are there, straight, apparently no cracks.

But it's not from 1906 as the seller said.

Q: Why do say this Is 1906? Is there a serial number? Thanks
A: i double checked the razor's serial number--h 723317--i think that it was patented between 1903 --1904. thank you for your interest and inquiry.

Which makes it a 1918 Single Ring. Congrats! :thumbsup:

WOW!! For $22.95, that's an eye-popping steal. Congrats on your score. Should clean up and shave just like new. Very well done.

Very nice score, great price too. All teeth are there, straight, apparently no cracks.

But it's not from 1906 as the seller said.

Which makes it a 1918 Single Ring. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Thank you, and interesting. I forgot to double check the serial number myself, which I should've done. Still, for being 96 years of age, I thought it in remarkable shape! I was hoping you could double check for me the teeth in the images as given. I look forward to cleaning it up and trying it out at some point in the hopefully near future! :thumbup1:

Oh, if any of you have any experience at cleaning up the additional items in the set, I would greatly love to hear your advice. :001_smile

Are these classified as being mild or aggressive razors? I'm new to open comb razors really, so the more information on this I can glean, the better off I'll be. Are these considered classics? How rare is a set like this to find?

Thank you, gentlemen! I was completely stunned when I won. I honestly heard this little voice in my head, put the number in, and won! I almost fell off the bed in shock!

I really am hoping someone can advise me on how best to clean up the set. Razor, tubes, etc. I want this to shine and be as lovely as possible. I'm guessing that the razor is all brass, plated in nickel, correct?

Does anyone know if this set had a name like some do, or is it simply a Single Ring travel set? Does Mr. Razor have this in his collection so I might learn more about it?

It is in rough condition but still a great price. I do believe it is a set from about 1918 called the standard combination set and certainly not 1906. The diamond arrow logo was not introduced until 1908 and then changed again in 1915 matching the one in your set. In 1906 the travel kits would have had a logo band and paper/cardboard blade banks not tin. There were no letters in the serial numbers on the early razors, yours dates to 1918, the seller was very mistaken on the serial numbers but I wold not return in. A great starter kit for a new collector at a great price and the hundred year mark is not far off.

Last edited:
I wasn't planning on returning it, believe me! I think it is a gorgeous piece. I'm excited to learn how to work to restore it as best I can. It will also be something that I'll look forward to using in next year's Open Comb October!

Are these classified as being mild or aggressive razors? I'm new to open comb razors really, so the more information on this I can glean, the better off I'll be. Are these considered classics? How rare is a set like this to find?

Many people (myself included) think the Old Type is the most aggressive Gillette razor. It's a great razor and one of my favorites.

Not sure if I'd call it rare. Perhaps not so common, like the Brownie sets, but they're out there.

I really am hoping someone can advise me on how best to clean up the set. Razor, tubes, etc. I want this to shine and be as lovely as possible. I'm guessing that the razor is all brass, plated in nickel, correct?

Does anyone know if this set had a name like some do, or is it simply a Single Ring travel set? Does Mr. Razor have this in his collection so I might learn more about it?

It's Silver, not Nickel. You can use the baking soda/aluminum foil method, and some silver polish to make it shine.

Here's Achim's example, from 1920 but same Standard Combination set:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1920 Standard Combination Set.jpg

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thank you, Edgar. Is it as aggressive as the R41?

I appreciate the information. I talked to Chris about possibly replating it at some point. His recommendation is to plate it in nickel if I do for cost and maintenance issues. I might have the entire set replated at some point to keep it all together and looking nice.

I look forward to receiving it and trying it out!

Not a fan of shimming, but I'll definitely load up with a sharp blade like a Black or a Feather! :thumbup1:

Pen, I wasn't a fan until recently, but I am now. I've even shimmed a 2013 R41! Even one shim can make a significant difference for the better...

Jes sayin

Top Bottom