What's new

So who knows anything about trap & skeet?

Another good stop over for information is trapshooters.com. If you mention and 870 to them, however, they will fry you. I also don't know many folks who could pump 300 rounds out for the day with one of them and not regret the trauma to their shoulder they caused by doing it.

Whatever shotgun you only spend $800 on will become a "loaner" for you within 6 months. You will undoubtedly want something better when you start hitting 20/25 consistantly. As a comparison, use an image of an old beltloop-arched belt sitting next to a strop that Tony made. Might as well get something at least in the $1,200 range like a used Browning Citori. There are some good autoloaders, but if you use it for trap, make sure you also use a shell catcher. The guy standing to your right will get a little tweaked when you start ejecting shells against his $25,000 Perazzi.

Unless you are going to use the gun for something else besides trap, sporting clays or skeet, I would not buy an auto or pump. If you are going to shoot all three sports equally, you might be better off with a 28/30 inch barrel over/under. If you stick with trap and SC's, then 32 inch barrels might be a better choice. One of my singles guns is a 34 inch. I use a 32 for everything else. Since I sold my Berretta Gold E, I have been using my wife's O/U SKB 85TSS with 30 inch barrels for my doubles. It is really a nice gun for the money. You can get the combo with single barrel and doubles barrels for about $3,000 if you shop around. If you mention an SKB over at trapshooters, the flap is on. Those conversations become more heated than the political threads over here do.

Maybe for SASS or other organizations you have to use new shells for competition, but most ATA (American Trapshooting Association) events allow reloads. For a few years, my wife and I were going through close to 20,000 rounds for the year, three years straight. I reload. Not only do I reload, but I do it with a hydraulic press rig. It's a difference of nearly $2 a box/25. 20,000/25 = 800 boxes of ammo. $1,600 savings. Forget about it... jump in; you're hooked now.

I've been shopping around the web looking at shotguns and learning about the origins of the sport, as well as checking out some of the forums mentioned. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! $3K for a shotgun on a meager civil servant's salary!:biggrin:

I don't suppose I could use my Winchester 1200 riot gun with the pistol grip & the 8-shot tube???:biggrin:

This was when my wife and I were first bitten by the trapshooting bug. I think this day was the last day I ever shot in B class. Avid trap shooters will recognize the other 100 target entrant. It was a kick in the pant to shoot on the same squad with him for the day.

I hope nothing I said dampened your desire to get more involved in the sport. Some people (me) get a little carried away when they like something a lot. I'm sure you will do just fine with a shotgun at a third of the price. Several years ago I sold a single shot trap gun for $600 and it broke targets just as good as anything else I owned. If you make it a weekly event, however, the shotgun won't cost as much as everything else. Moderation is a good thing. I'm trying to learn some of that stuff, but it's hard. I'm getting better because I've sold 3 of my trap guns and only have a Remmington 90T and a Weatherby O/U 26 inch skeet gun left.

I hope nothing I said dampened your desire to get more involved in the sport. Some people (me) get a little carried away when they like something a lot. I'm sure you will do just fine with a shotgun at a third of the price. Several years ago I sold a single shot trap gun for $600 and it broke targets just as good as anything else I owned. If you make it a weekly event, however, the shotgun won't cost as much as everything else. Moderation is a good thing. I'm trying to learn some of that stuff, but it's hard. I'm getting better because I've sold 3 of my trap guns and only have a Remmington 90T and a Weatherby O/U 26 inch skeet gun left.

Worry not Mr. Ellis...I'll just ease into it.....who knows, maybe I'll run across a nice Belgian Browning O/U at an estate sale...:rolleyes:

While this hasn't been pointed out yet, don't skimp on the hearing protection. You'll thank me in 20 years.

Without a doubt. They are more important than having ammo. If you can make it to a sizeable ATA shoot, there will be someone there who can make custom plugs for your ears only for about $30. Pliable gooey gunk in a color of your choice is squirted in your ears and you sit there for 20 minutes while they cure. I use one of the sets I have when I am working with noisy workshop tools as well.

Maybe someone else here can offer a different source for them as I am sure the next ATA shoot in your area may not be for a while.

Without a doubt. They are more important than having ammo. If you can make it to a sizeable ATA shoot, there will be someone there who can make custom plugs for your ears only for about $30. Pliable gooey gunk in a color of your choice is squirted in your ears and you sit there for 20 minutes while they cure. I use one of the sets I have when I am working with noisy workshop tools as well.

Maybe someone else here can offer a different source for them as I am sure the next ATA shoot in your area may not be for a while.

EAR will arrange for a group fitting, but I don't know how large the group needs to be. They also offer heat moldable ones and some other options

http://www.earinc.com/p1.php

If you go to the insta-mold page on the non-electric page, there will be a place where you can search by zip.

Personally I like the insta-act type ear plugs with the valving for outdoor use, especially shotgunning. They are too weak for indoors or high power rifle with a covered stage, at which I switch to muffs (sometimes both!). I'll have to go to the next GSSF match or local SASS match and see if they have anyone molding custom plugs there.
They sell these things for under $10 at the blue box store and in music stores for like $15 (they work terrible for music, both listening and playing).

You can get started inexpensively, just like wetshaving... then, well, ... you know what happens!:em2100:

Now... Where them pigeons at!! :gunsmilie::gun_bandana::a33:

Personally I like the insta-act type ear plugs with the valving for outdoor use, especially shotgunning. They are too weak for indoors or high power rifle with a covered stage, at which I switch to muffs (sometimes both!). I'll have to go to the next GSSF match or local SASS match and see if they have anyone molding custom plugs there.
They sell these things for under $10 at the blue box store and in music stores for like $15 (they work terrible for music, both listening and playing).

You can get started inexpensively, just like wetshaving... then, well, ... you know what happens!:em2100:

Now... Where them pigeons at!! :gunsmilie::gun_bandana::a33:

I've always leaned toward muffs with inexpensive foam plugs underneath.

S

sullivanpm

I've always leaned toward muffs with inexpensive foam plugs underneath.
That is what I do with HPR's and pistols, but with shot guns I usually wear one or the other. My 12 ga.s are not nearly as loud as my 5.56s, 308's or my hand guns.

This was when my wife and I were first bitten by the trapshooting bug. I think this day was the last day I ever shot in B class. Avid trap shooters will recognize the other 100 target entrant. It was a kick in the pant to shoot on the same squad with him for the day.

U B shooting in some fast company. Dan B. is one fine shooter; have seen him shoot in Sacramento and he doesn't miss frequently. Looks like you ain't no slouch eder.

EAR will arrange for a group fitting, but I don't know how large the group needs to be. They also offer heat moldable ones and some other options

http://www.earinc.com/p1.php

If you go to the insta-mold page on the non-electric page, there will be a place where you can search by zip.

I have a set of the insta molds from them. I had them done at the International Sportsmens show. You can fill out the form here to see how you can get them done for you.

Must have been a blast just shooting with him. Nice shooting to you as well.

Custom made ear plugs can be made at most hearing aid stores. Check the yellow pages.
My pair were $75.
Most hearing aid stores will make a mold of your ear, send that to a company who will use it to make a mold that is used make the silicone ear plug. These are more durable than the pour/squirt in type of material used at the big shoots, and therefore costs more. But I've heard the squirt in material available at the big shoots will last 5+ years too. As we age, our ears change shape slightly so eventully we'll need new ones anyway. So get what is available in your area.
We only get one set of ears, so take care of the ones you have. I wear electronic ear plugs when hunting and for shotgun target shooting. Pistol competition shooting has electronic plugs under Peltor muffs--take muffs off during scoring and I can hear well but still get protection for shooters in the next bay.

I'm still doubtful about the cost savings of reloading. I shoot around 100 12 ga and 100 20 ga rounds every weekend, weather permitting, and by using our shooting club bulk discount I can still buy cheaper than reloading. Of course I'm factoring the cost of the initial purchase of the reloading equipment which will be several hundred dollars. There's almost always someone at a local club that reloads and is looking to sell reloaded shells back to members. Also, if you shoot competitively you can't use reloads, you can just use them for practice. Reloading is a whole hobby unto itself and can quickly take on a life $$$ of it's own.

Not sure about how shotgun reloading works out. But regular reloading is very economical, especially once you've used the brass once or twice, or better yet pick up free brass at the range (with permission, of course). Seems like shotgun shell reloading would work out similarly. High initial cost, but slowly pays for its self.

When you start reloading special rounds the savings totally go away. High velocity low drag rounds can get insane.

Top Bottom