What's new

SO this happened to my Omega boar brush...

So today I was shaving and I was going over with my brush rapidly fast till it slipped outta my hand in mach 1.0 tilted 180^ high in the air and landed
on the floor of the bathroom and the handle got splited in half.:facep:
I didn't post this in order to get fixing guids (although your tips would be appreciated), just wanted to make it to people that these Omega brushes handles are actually hollow from inside and they're not made out of solid plastic.

_Just take care of your omegas fellas! :wink1:

So today I was shaving and I was going over with my brush rapidly fast till it slipped outta my hand in mach 1.0 tilted 180^ high in the air and landed
on the floor of the bathroom and the handle got splited in half.:facep:
I didn't post this in order to get fixing guids (although your tips would be appreciated), just wanted to make it to people that these Omega brushes handles are actually hollow from inside and they're not made out of solid plastic.

_Just take care of your omegas fellas! :wink1:

You will pay comparable more but Omega offers more solid handles as well.

47E0FBC5-1F3C-4831-A399-5972FD71E11D.jpeg

F056BF1A-8933-4A99-9C4C-4FBB8E210BFF.jpeg

FB897D8D-25B2-4CA6-8B97-A4529BE8DF2C.jpeg

Dang! My sympathy.

On the other hand, you are now most of the way to 'harvesting' the knot. I love Omega boar knots and have separated several from their handles. Soon I will be making custom wooden handles to receive the knots.

It is objectively not possible to have too many Omega boars. And it won't break the bank.

Dang! My sympathy.

On the other hand, you are now most of the way to 'harvesting' the knot. I love Omega boar knots and have separated several from their handles. Soon I will be making custom wooden handles to receive the knots.

It is objectively not possible to have too many Omega boars. And it won't break the bank.
I'd love to learn more about how you can collect these specific knots and installing them on new handles! :001_wub:

Well if you had not dropped it could have lasted long time with care.
yeah but sometimes when your lathering and you're really enjoying the painting and the cover up, sometimes you forget how fast you're maneuvering over your face. Huh.. now that I think of it, it seems more alike speeding! :idea:

yeah but sometimes when your lathering and you're really enjoying the painting and the cover up, sometimes you forget how fast you're maneuvering over your face. Huh.. now that I think of it, it seems more alike speeding! :idea:

Well as old boss use to say two types of accidents.

Preventable, andNin Precentable.

Your was preventable.

I'd love to learn more about how you can collect these specific knots and installing them on new handles! :001_wub:

Here is a knot I harvested from an Omega 10051. Omega press fits the plastic knot base into the handle. It is easiest to remove by cutting off the bottom of the handle and then knocking the knot assembly out of the handle. Pulling or levering it out would probably inflict some damage.

The plastic base is 28mm (1 1/16") in diameter. The plastic part extends down below the bottom of the hair, so it could be shortened if necessary. I plan to use it at full length. It is possible that the plastic jacket could be removed, but that is not my plan. The knot itself is probably somewhere around 24mm.

A forester or a spade drill bit will make or deepen a mounting hole. I have a small drill press I use to get a nice straight hole.

I usually turn my handles on a wood lathe, but handles are sold online, could be hand carved in wood, or can be made from any number of materials. Or a vintage brush could be re-knotted with a fresh Omega boar knot. There are lots of possibilities.

IMG_4918.jpeg

This black walnut handle is too small for the 28mm knot, but I plan to make a similar one, sized up, for the Omega knot.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
CAD89ACD-781E-48BA-A10A-532AC70FB9BB.jpeg

I have the same brush. Mine comes apart in the middle where the black plastic meets the blue plastic parts of the handle. The glue has given way and I have not bothered to glue it back in properly. It clicks in okay and as long as I treat the handle gingerly all works fine.

Here is a knot I harvested from an Omega 10051. Omega press fits the plastic knot base into the handle. It is easiest to remove by cutting off the bottom of the handle and then knocking the knot assembly out of the handle. Pulling or levering it out would probably inflict some damage.

The plastic base is 28mm (1 1/16") in diameter. The plastic part extends down below the bottom of the hair, so it could be shortened if necessary. I plan to use it at full length. It is possible that the plastic jacket could be removed, but that is not my plan. The knot itself is probably somewhere around 24mm.

A forester or a spade drill bit will make or deepen a mounting hole. I have a small drill press I use to get a nice straight hole.

I usually turn my handles on a wood lathe, but handles are sold online, could be hand carved in wood, or can be made from any number of materials. Or a vintage brush could be re-knotted with a fresh Omega boar knot. There are lots of possibilities.

View attachment 1665711

This black walnut handle is too small for the 28mm knot, but I plan to make a similar one, sized up, for the Omega knot.
Thanks a lot for the info. I've just noticed that my brushe's plastic knot base is broken so getting the base is out of the picture.
I have all the pieces of my handle tho, which got me thinking, is there a way for me to glue the handle up together again or is it pointless?

View attachment 1665852
I have the same brush. Mine comes apart in the middle where the black plastic meets the blue plastic parts of the handle. The glue has given way and I have not bothered to glue it back in properly. It clicks in okay and as long as I treat the handle gingerly all works fine.
well the only tip that I can give you is just make sure you don't drop it on the floor tile :001_tongu

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
The knot on my Omega boar came out while drying it on a towel. Thought it would be the perfect opportunity to reinstall it into a vintage Ever-Ready handle I’ve had on my workbench for years. They are both cheap hollow plastic handles but the retro look of the Ever-Ready appeals to me. After opening up the hole to accommodate the larger knot, I finished the job. I don’t mind the look of the existing metal ring from the knot. Ready for Decemboar!
B91A6527-59FA-41B4-B217-9D675A277360.jpeg

I had bought my first Omega a few months ago. It's a 10005. It had a wooden handle that opened up a tad when I put too much water into the cup during break-in and the wood had swollen up a tad so the hole was larger. I could have used it the way it was, but I decided to see if I could put pressure on the knot and break it free. Turns out that there was really very little holding it all in.

I put it in a resin handle that I picked up and I have it in rotation now.

Top Bottom