What's new

Single Malt Recommendation

I want to give a gift of a single malt scotch to a friend. He has tasted Laphroaig 10 year old scotch which he says tastes like medicine :huh: and Glenfiddich 12 which he says is OK but not "single malty enough". He normally drinks bourbon but his wife says he would like to "branch out" to single malts as an after dinner drink.

I want to spend less than $80. Any recommendations?

Highland Park 12. It has more peat than the Glenfiddich 12, but less than Laphroig 10 (while also avoiding the iodine taste). there's a littel bit of sweet finish imparted by aging in sherry casks. Plus, it comes in under budget!

Highland Park 12. It has more peat than the Glenfiddich 12, but less than Laphroig 10 (while also avoiding the iodine taste). there's a littel bit of sweet finish imparted by aging in sherry casks. Plus, it comes in under budget!

+1, it's time for him to try Highland Park or Aberlour A'bunadh

+1, it's time for him to try Highland Park or Aberlour A'bunadh

I can't argue with this it's great advice.

Highland Park should be in every malt lovers store.

A'bunadh - is actually a vatted malt I think and needs a touch of water in it to really open up but's just such a great whisky to settle down after a good meal or with a bit of jazz going

I agree with all the guys saying "HP 12". The stuff is delicious in every way and won't approach the medicine/iodine taste that he got with Laph.

Balvenie is complex enough to be interesting and kind enough to be easy drinking, so that might also be a good one for him.

I agree with all the guys saying "HP 12". The stuff is delicious in every way and won't approach the medicine/iodine taste that he got with Laph.

Balvenie is complex enough to be interesting and kind enough to be easy drinking, so that might also be a good one for him.

Great call, on the Balvenie, their 'doublewood', much like the HP12, is lauded as a scotch everyone loves. If i were to pick, it would be the Balvenie, hands down.

Thanks for the recommendations. I bought the Highland Park 12 last night and he will get it next week.

Thanks Jim! I will pretend that I have never seen this thread when I open the parcel.....

Come on over, David. I also bought a bottle for myself and just opened it up and I am sipping it now. Very nice.

Top Bottom