What's new

Single Edge vs DE. What are the Differences?

Mostly personal preference and comfort. SE blades are more rigid and some feel they shave more like a straight. Some find the SE design easier to achieve proper angle than a DE.

SE has fewer blade choices (probably a good thing) than DE's.

At the end of the day, the best razor for you is the one that gives you the best shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The SE blades are thicker and often said to be less sharp than DE blades. I cannot really disagree with this but in the right SE razor, I get a BBS shave like a DE or straight razor shave.

As the SE blades are thicker, they last longer than a DE.

It's a different type of shave, feeling. It's a preference really. I didn't want to try those at first and I now have more SEs than DEs.

I am not saying that a DE is worthless, I still use 3 of them but reach for a SE more often.

The SE razors are "noisier" when shaving, a sound similar to buttering toast.

As a head shaver I fing I get better and smoother shaves on my head using my SE.

That said I enjoy both my collection of SE and DE razors. I am now waiting form my Chick blades to arrive so that I can try out the injector.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I use DE, SE and SE injector razors. All three types are capable of great shaves including BBS if that's what you want. The limited variety of SE and SE injector blades is not an issue. It's fun to use all three but with careful selecting, any one of them could be your "one and only" razor.

At the price of some SE razors you MUST find out for yourself.

I enjoy using my SE razors but I also enjoy using my DE and injectors.

They are all different but you "should" end up with the same shave results from any of them.

proxy.php

I think I will give a SE a try once I am out of the Sabbaticals I am currently in. I don't know if a SE would be worth dropping out of them to buy.

At the price of some SE razors you MUST find out for yourself.

I enjoy using my SE razors but I also enjoy using my DE and injectors.

They are all different but you "should" end up with the same shave results from any of them.

proxy.php

Those look very nice!

All SEs seem to be reasonably priced (streamline aside). You can get a great condition 1912 for the cost of a user unboxed Tech, so there's no reason to cheap out when trying SEs for the first time.

I think the major difference for me really is that SE razors are more intuitive to use, and seem smoother in use. The advantage of DEs though is that they're more maneuverable making it easier to shave under the nose - I actually keep a Tech for the sole purpose of touching up under the nose. However an Injector razor will beat DEs at this even.

I find that when shaving top lip atg a single edge causes no weepers, whereas a double edge can tear you up.

I put this down to the single edged blade being significantly thicker than a double edge. Anyone else find this?

SEs leave my face feeling so much better than DEs.
Apart from the R41 (which is in a league of its own), these days I only use SEs and straights.
And SEs are so much fun :)

Top Bottom