What's new

Simpsons Ch2 super reknot by Simpsons

linty1

My wallet cries.
Acquired a Chubby 2 in Super that didn't travel that well and was shedding a lot on arrival (to be clear, I do -not- fault the initial seller), emailed Mark and Anna (from Simpsons)on a reknot and also just to freshen up the faded lettering and sticker, wanted to post just to show and to help future ppl who were looking to reknot and googling, cost to reknot was 50 pounds and shipping. They were gracious enough not to charge for the lettering and sticker, turn around was about a week, between Isle of Man (Uk) and Canada.

Here is a before and after photo:

22639733-5B71-4E1D-A822-1DCAA7FB18E2.jpeg

In a word, it is beautiful. And the price? For a knot thats as packed as a chubby2, in their super grade, including labour? Is very good imho. Would not hesitate to recommend sending it back to Simpsons for a reknot. Forgot to mention it came back complete with box and all that, as brand new.

That is just ridiculous, you couldn't even buy that knot as a vendor for double that price! I now see why Simpsons has the reputation they do. I can't justify the initial outlay for the one I want, but if I did I now know that my initial investment is partly going toward affordable repair service. Excellent!

Fantastic Service for sure !
There are very few companies with similar models that I choose to continue doing business with.

Maui Jim is one that comes to mind...

Reactions: Kix

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks great -- maybe gave a bit of a polish, too! Luckily none of mine need a knot yet, but when one does ...

linty1

My wallet cries.
F1ACF1AF-77FD-400D-A2A9-5D9521DFE727.jpeg

Picked up an M7 (in super), and decided to give it a reknot as it was a shedding/breaking at the tips. Had a good experience the first time so went with Simpsons again. Same price, $50 usd, but this time there was an incident, Anna wrote back after a few days and said that the handle broke while removing the knot, and would send me a brand new M7 (in super) at the same reknot price. Old brush on left, new on right.

Wow!!! Evan, so glad to see you have been happy with the exceptional service by Simpsons. Thrilled both unfortunate experiences turned out well. Enjoy both brushes!

The Super grade is awesome!!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Was looking for a knot to put in my 2023 Contributers brush.. Larry doesn't sell one in this size... emailed Mozingo for one of their last knots... received no response (although I think someone else had better luck than I), was settled on either a tgn or maggards 3 band when it came to me... perhaps Simpsons? Quick email to Anna, made sure to be clear it was -not- a Simpsons handle... "sure no problem" was the answer. Joy! The cost? The same 50 pounds + shipping, a great price. I also asked Anna if she would be so kind to include a tiny sample of any one of their shaving creams, and to bill ke as appropriate. Unboxing:

5CD10001-4F0A-439E-9035-0869AB913817.jpeg

3A6CA2DA-1CB3-47D2-9BB0-5939E34591BE.jpeg

0E738F52-AF81-479D-B986-77AD5D2F14E7.jpeg

I also requested their 3 band super knot, but stuffed/lofted as it were a Chubby, so extra dense. To my surprise, it was no extra cost, the same 50 pounds + shipping. Also, that sample I requested (and expected to be billed for?) A -full sized- Lime shave cream, free of charge.

Here is a shot of the contributer's brush handle only, and the knotted (3 band super chubby knot) side by side

51FF3CC4-2609-4F4B-AF39-D2017639901F.jpeg

I realize not everyone has had the same level of experience I have, for better or worse, but I'm just posting my own experiences with Simpsons. I would encourage ppl to do their own research and form their own opinions/risk tolerances.

linty1

My wallet cries.
When I took the ferry back and forth from Dublin to Liverpool 3 weeks ago I considered a day or two on Man but the motorbike races were on, and Simpsons would have been on holiday those weeks. Next time.
Oh thats neat, I didn't know their location was open to the public. Please do post photos or describe in detail if you do go/are allowed to in the future.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Oh thats neat, I didn't know their location was open to the public. Please do post photos or describe in detail if you do go/are allowed to in the future.
I visited Man some thirty plus years ago, before I knew or cared about badger brushes. It is a lovely place to spend 2 or 3 summer days. Or to spend a lifetime, I suppose.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I posted this photo in the shave if the day thread so I'll include a thumbnail here (I think if you click it, you'll get the full version:

77927A75-3276-4C8F-B5C7-D76927673C3D.jpeg

It's lofted a little too high for something that is supposed to be "lofted and packed as a chubby would be". So an email was sent to Anna, and she replied the next day (I'll paraphrase): "the girls tried their best to get it as close to the dimensions of a chubby as they could, we could re-do it for you at no cost, but theres a chance the handle could break etc". I gave a nights thought... and didn't go through with it. They promised to also cover the shipping, but I didn't really want to go through it, and its a brush with it's own personality. I thanked Anna for her generous offer (redo re-knot and reimbursed shipping) and declined. Its not super floppy, but a chubby it is also not. I think the extra hair they packed in carrying it from too floppy.

So there you have it, I added this bit as I did want to tell the whole story and the result. Its still a very nice brush, the super hair is wonderfully soft.

Top Bottom