What's new

Simpson synthetic comparison

I am really enjoying my Simpson duke 3 synthetic brush and would like to find a knot or brush with similar backbone and softness.
Does anyone know of a brush or knot I can set that is similar to Simpson synthetics. I don’t know much about there synthetic knots.

There is no comparison between these two. The Wald is a total different animal than the STF, but both are my two tops synthetics.
That's fair. I've been using my Wald A1 fan exclusively, but have very limited experience with the STF. Good to know they both rank highly with you. Seems like you can't go wrong with either, mostly just depends on your budget

APShaveCo sells the Independent knot which is supposedly the same as the Simpson Sovereign. They also carry the Titanium, similar to the Simpson Platinum; this one has more backbone and is more expensive. AP prices are lower than Simpson, and you can buy the knot separately -- or match the knots to handles he has in stock, if so interested.

The Duke 3 in platinum isn't a lofty brush which accounts for its feel- a similar material with the same knot size but at a higher loft won't quite match the Duke. I don't know much about brushes with similarish fibers but imo the loft here will be key. I've used my Duke a ton and haven't found a synthetic that feels the same yet- my other simpson in platinum feels totally different. Very nice brush, the Duke.

what Synth bristles are you referring to? there is the "sovereign" like the ones in the Trafalgar series. and platinum often called "Synthetic Bristle" Apparently the Platinum bristle were soft in the beginning but later changed for a more scratchy version. (according to a person i spoke who had multiple of them) I have the Later Platinum version in a Chubby 2 but I Prefer the Trafalgar T3 that was less than half the cost (I mainly Facelather)

Top Bottom