What's new

Sign of the year

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
nowhiring.webp.jpg

For the last few years we have mentored high school students as they head off to college or the trades. It used to be we would encourage them to get good grades, etc. But in the last year we mention to them, "Just be reliable."

A local attorney had a newly minted law school graduate that he had hired. After she had worked for him two weeks she told him she had decided to quit. He asked why. She said, "You don't praise me enough."

This kind of sigh is socially accepted in the US?

My country is so embedded in politically correct. If a pizza place put a sigh like this it will be on TV news for days.

A 10 years ago, my intern in a really hot day rolled up his shirt sleeves above the elbow, after that the rolled up his leg pants. I called him Tom Hanks or Cast Away for one entire semester. 😂. Nowadays I don’t dare to make a minimal joke with any intern.😒

It is also worth mentioning that the hiring process is becoming stressful in the sense that is hard to turn people away because:

1.- They need the help desperately

2.- Now people use the word discrimination too liberally, you don't want to be slapped with a lawsuit because you are stupid-phobic…do you?

3.- The non-stupid people already have a job!😂

On top of it all, companies seem to rather have a high turnover rate than paying more to the already good workers they have, already doing all the job the company needs.

I remember back when I was working at swine farms, one of the farms had gone more than a couple months without a farm manager, and the regional manager was desperate because they couldn't find someone apt to take over. One of the other managers just stated in a monotone voice: “the farm has survived and done well without a manager, you don't need to hire anyone, you have what you need at the farm…promote and raise their wages thats all is needed” Then the regional manager went on a rant on how none of the people at the farm had the qualifications! The nerve!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This kind of sigh is socially accepted in the US?

My take on this (from Canada) is that the USA is very divided right now. Half the population would cheer this sign on and half the population would find it very offensive. And half the population wouldn't really care one way or the other.

BTW, half of Americans also think that their education system isn't very good at teaching math.

Top Bottom