What's new

Showering after the shave....

I always shave before my shower because I'm obsessive compulsive about getting all of the shaving cream off my face, out of my ears, out of my hair, etc. and when I do this at the sink it doesn't feel like the rinse is complete enough.

Also, I need to get my hair wet to get it properly combed so after exiting the shower, I can't let my hair dry too much or its not cooperative enough in staying put where I comb it. If I shaved AFTER I showered, my hair combing would get partially displaced by all of the rinsing and splashing involved with my shave. BTW - My wife says I make a ridiculously wet mess in the bathroom when I shave.

I know the whole thing sounds silly.

Always have shaved before showering because I, too, can't stand the thought of not getting all the soap off. (I also find I get less irritation.) :thumbup1:

I always shave before my shower because I'm obsessive compulsive about getting all of the shaving cream off my face, out of my ears, out of my hair, etc. and when I do this at the sink it doesn't feel like the rinse is complete enough.

Also, I need to get my hair wet to get it properly combed so after exiting the shower, I can't let my hair dry too much or its not cooperative enough in staying put where I comb it. If I shaved AFTER I showered, my hair combing would get partially displaced by all of the rinsing and splashing involved with my shave. BTW - My wife says I make a ridiculously wet mess in the bathroom when I shave.

I know the whole thing sounds silly.

Actually, there's some very familiar parts in your post that I can identify with:biggrin1:

I normally shower first, but when I shower at the gym after a workout, I shave first to give myself a few more minutes to cool down. To me it's not a big deal either way.

Today I spotted a guy shaving in the gym.
(Gillette disposable but that's beside the point.)
He claimed he got superior shaves after using the sauna.
Never thought of that myself.
Gonna bring my kit some day this week and try it.

I'm pretty much a cold shaver, so I shave before the shower - but I'd be interested to know if people who use the heat to soften their beard would get as good results if they cold shaved and used a pre-lather to soften the beard instead of hot water. The high alkaline in the lather should effectively soften the whiskers, and the cold water involved in the cold shave should make the hair stand on end, giving a better cut.

Historically, shave then shower. I always wanted to get the shave goo off completely.

I think I am going to try shower first next time.

Before I started DE shaving I shaved then showered...mainly to get the canned goo off my face. Now after I started DE shaving I been doing the opposite because it was recommend and I like the smell and feel that Tabac and Prosaro leaves behind.

i've always soaked my brush and DE safety razor in hot water, shower, and then shave. being in the shower open my pores and i believe i get a closer shave.

I agree with AlanL that unless I've sliced myself badly, the shower seems to make the little cuts go away. After getting out of the shower, I use a small amount of tea tree oil and after shave, or witch hazel and after shave. The verdict is still out on whether tea tree oil or witch hazel does a better job of keeping my skin clear.

Always shave then shower---BBS daily---no nicks or cuts---and don't smell like a whore as all the shaving stuff is washed away------I just want to smell soap clean---I use Ivory soap which has very little scent at all.

Not into smells at all---when someone over-scented walks into the room--it turns my stomach---literally.

Always shave then shower---BBS daily---no nicks or cuts---and don't smell like a whore as all the shaving stuff is washed away------I just want to smell soap clean---I use Ivory soap which has very little scent at all.

Not into smells at all---when someone over-scented walks into the room--it turns my stomach---literally.

Know what you mean. I live in NYC and sometimes you get next to a tourist on the sidewalk or in an elevator and PUewie! Maybe that's the custom where they come from but sometimes it just reeks.:blink:

I have done both. On days when I head shave, I'll sometimes jump back in the shower to get the lather off my neck and shoulders (I'm messy).

There isn't a huge difference for me either way. I mainly shower then shave these days because I've found that makes my evening routine less like a Lord of the Rings movie.

Roxanne......

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Yep I'm a shave then shower guy as well.
Pebcak:
+ 1 because it's so soothing and 'closes up" 'nicks and/or weepers (if any).
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Last edited:
Top Bottom