What's new

Shovel head Questions

I frequently hear the following about about the Shovel head and other GEM/Ever Ready style razors?

1. The razors heads are huge.
2. The GEM style blades are really thick
3. The razors are intimidating and scary to use contraptions
4. The Shovel head is so loud?
5. The Shovel head holds so much water in the head, it takes an extra shake or two to get it all out
6. It is too aggressive and uncomfortable to use
7. It has a weird shaving angle
8. Why use it, the GEM blades are expensive and hard to find
9. The handle length is to short
10. It is really easy to get nicks and razor burn when using a Shovel head.

I will stop at ten. It is one of my daily drivers. I hold a bias. I cannot answer these questions because the only razors I use daily and own is a Shovel head, and a 1912 squat head. I have a regular 1912, I rarely shave with.

Those who use it and other razor types:
Other SE types, vintage/modern
DE’s
Cartridge
any others

How does it compare to other vintage SE GEM/Ever Ready’s, vintage or modern? Are the above statements positive or negative qualities? Will those qualities draw others to or away?

What are the pros and cons of using a Shovel head or other vintage SE GEM/Ever Ready’s? Would you recommend it to others? What else would you say about the Shovel head and other GEM style razors?

There are many threads about the Shovel head, all with varying opinions.

It does require a different angle than any other vintage GEM razor i have tried, but I never found it aggressive at all, and it provided a fairly simple, comfortable shave for me.

Yes, the handle is really short.

When I used one I found it absolutely brilliant. Wish I could pick up a cheap but good condition one again.
They are inexpensive. The least I paid for one was $4. The most $14. They are becoming a little more expensive, still reasonable. I have a daily and a back up used for travel.

It comes with several different heads, handles and cases. I switch out handles a lot. The 1912 GEM Jr Bakelite handles (fat and skinny) are perfect fits. I believe the threads are universal? What razor vintage or modern can you say that about?

Last edited:
It does require a different angle than any other vintage GEM razor i have tried, but I never found it aggressive at all, and it provided a fairly simple, comfortable shave for me.

Yes, the handle is really short.
You are correct about how it shaves. Once you find the correct angle, it seems natural. The blade gap is huge. The most I’ve seen in any razor period. The toast scrapping sound and maneuverability are special. It does provide a smooth, comfortable, efficient shave. When first learning how to shave, respect it, because if you don’t it will bite you.

I find it moderately aggressive. For me it can extend the blade life of the PTFE blade. I can start a new blade in my slightly milder, 1912 squat head and get 3-4 shaves. If I then switch that same blade and put it into the Shovel head, I can get 1-2 more good shaves. I am a daily shaver who shaves both face and head.

Last edited:
I like them and I have two.

However, I don't feel they give me as close a shave as my DE razors. I think these require more touching up on my trouble areas than my DE razors. But they have never nicked me or left me with irritation, which I really appreciate. Mind you, I don't have that many shaves on them, maybe 10 or a couple more, so I might have to work on my technique a bit.

These Gem style razors have held up extremely well over the decades, far better then most DE razors, so it's pretty easy to find a minty one for not much money.

Can anyone respond to one or more of the following questions?

1. What are the differences in blade gap between the Shovel head and the 1912 ER razors?

2. Is there a story about how the Shovel head got such a different head design?

3. The square and round head design. Were they intentional designs? Why the two designs? Is there a difference in the shave?

4. Do you prefer the short or long handle? Which handle design do you prefer?

5. Are there little known Shovel head facts more experienced users can share with us newbies?

Top Bottom