What's new

Shoe shine, Sir?

lasta

Blade Biter
At least it will still be available on the internet.

God bless e-commerce!

Shame The Telegraph for making free news disappear:
1672668342772.png

This is just another sign of the changing culture. There was a time when suits, shirts with French cuffs and cufflinks and a tie, and well-polished wingtip Oxford shoes were the signs of a successful businessman. Now business casual is about as formal as it gets.

When I went to college at the University of Virginia, it was the custom for students to wear coats and ties to class. Today, I still wear a coat and tie to weddings, but I no longer wear them to funerals. Very few people wear coats and ties to church these days here in Illinois, but people in the South of the USA still do. In warmer weather, there will be people wearing shorts in church.

It has been my observation that when people dress more formally, they act more politely and civil, but I do not know how much of that is cause and how much is effect.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This is just another sign of the changing culture. There was a time when suits, shirts with French cuffs and cufflinks and a tie, and well-polished wingtip Oxford shoes were the signs of a successful businessman. Now business casual is about as formal as it gets.

When I went to college at the University of Virginia, it was the custom for students to wear coats and ties to class. Today, I still wear a coat and tie to weddings, but I no longer wear them to funerals. Very few people wear coats and ties to church these days here in Illinois, but people in the South of the USA still do. In warmer weather, there will be people wearing shorts in church.

It has been my observation that when people dress more formally, they act more politely and civil, but I do not know how much of that is cause and how much is effect.
I agree on the apparent link between dressing well and acting with civility. I went to prep school in Virginia, and our school had no air conditioning. When the mercury hit about 85F the Headmaster declared spring dress in effect, put away your coats and ties and wear Bermudas. The teachers all agreed that behavior instantly ran amok. Of course, it might have been out of embarrassment over wearing Bermudas with Weejuns and socks. Bad look. Of course it was late in the year and those Weejuns were breaking down, some wound in duct tape.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I agree that standards are falling, although I struggle to see how they could fall much further here in the UK. I regularly polish my shoes and enjoy doing so, I find it very relaxing. That said, I do not think Kiwi is a particularly good shoe cleaner although it is inexpensive.

I think disposable fashion is partially to blame.

Why buy shoe polish, a cloth, etc. to shine your shoes when you can buy a new pair for $29.95 at Target, Marshall’s, etc.? Or buy a $2.99 shining sponge.

I have had the same shoeshine kit for 30+ years. My wife dreads when I shine my shoes as I take over the entire kitchen counter. 👍

I’m nearing the end of my career and have to admit I dress business casual at the office. I even took up to wearing running shoes when I saw our CEO doing it.

That said I often miss the days of getting a proper shoe shine at the airport while wearing a suit, starched shirt and nice tie. (I used to have a very nice tie collection). My Alan Edmunds shoes are 30+ years old and still take a shine well.

I’ve used the Kiwi kit plenty, but counted on the shoe shine stand more often.

Reactions: ctr

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My shoe shining kit dates back to 1975. The rituals of shining shoes, ironing OCBDs, khakis, and handkerchiefs (as well as napkins and linen dish towels), brushing suits and dress pants, taking new pants to my beloved tailor for that 1 3/4" cuff and no break, darning old argyles, turning collars on aging shirts, polishing copper pans and furniture, dead heading blossoms and caring for the yard in general, cleaning the cars and topping things up, sharpening the push mower, cleaning my golf clubs, sharpening the knives, filling the pen, even cleaning the bathroom and mopping the kitchen, and more. These are the ordinary things that give ordinary time special meaning. The meaning comes from appreciating the things around me, enjoying their upkeep, and quietly enjoying the rituals.

I was required to wear polished shoes and ironed uniforms about 30 years. That was enough. Now about all my leather boots get are a brushing with a spray cleaner and quick coat of leather treatment of some kind.

As far as funerals go, I used to insist on a suit and kept a couple of tailor fitted ones on hand....Tomorrow, I am burying my last grandmother. The family took a vote and said no to even a shirt with a tie. It's gonna be jeans and a collared shirt.

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately Kiwi can't be found anymore in brick and mortar stores here as well. Very hard to find any classic shoe polish in the metal tub. You are right. People are getting lazy, more and more of them don't wear real leather shoes etc. I personally refuse to wear sports shoes!

I
Yes, unfortunately Kiwi can't be found anymore in brick and mortar stores here as well. Very hard to find any classic shoe polish in the metal tub. You are right. People are getting lazy, more and more of them don't wear real leather shoes etc. I personally refuse to wear sports shoes!
Would you consider these beauties from ASICS Ivan????

1672681996530.jpeg

I can see where stores might discontinue shoe polish. Since retirement, I wear good leather shoes so seldom that my last shine was in 2014, in the Philadelphia airport. When I do put a pair on, I just take them out of the felt dust bags and give them a quick rub as I do so.

A tangent: our favorite shoe repair shop still stocks Lincoln polish, which I prefer to Kiwi. In my days of spit-shining military shoes, the black Kiwi would take on a silvery appearance, whereas the Lincoln stayed nice and black.

I'll admit, I only spit shined or truly polished my shoes when I was in the Naval Reserves. Outside of that, I don't actually like the look of a gloss dress shoe. Probably because of the nights I spent polishing my shoes, spitting dust and rubbing them with my mom's old pantyhose to get a mirror finish on them....I was good at it though and my boots were some of the best on the parade floor.

I treat all my current leather boots and shoes with leather care, waxes and stuff, but I don't "shine" then. As @SharpieB stated, it's disposable fashion and not needing to take care of them as they will break down in under 3y max for most stuff on the mass market shelves. I try to buy quality boots and shoes myself and my kids are wearing my old stuff now, 15-18y after I bought them. It does pay off to spend a bit more.up front and take care of them.

My dress attire is police issue, so I don't wear "dress shoes" or need to shine them. I am supplied with casual shoes, work boots, steel toe, etc.

My shoe shining kit dates back to 1975. The rituals of shining shoes, ironing OCBDs, khakis, and handkerchiefs (as well as napkins and linen dish towels), brushing suits and dress pants, taking new pants to my beloved tailor for that 1 3/4" cuff and no break, darning old argyles, turning collars on aging shirts, polishing copper pans and furniture, dead heading blossoms and caring for the yard in general, cleaning the cars and topping things up, sharpening the push mower, cleaning my golf clubs, sharpening the knives, filling the pen, even cleaning the bathroom and mopping the kitchen, and more. These are the ordinary things that give ordinary time special meaning. The meaning comes from appreciating the things around me, enjoying their upkeep, and quietly enjoying the rituals.
Pretty much my story as well , but starting around 1963.. Even had my hats custom made , not very expensive in those days ...

Not a great loss , KIWI's formula is much changed from when I was young . There are MUCH better polishes available ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-02 121446.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-02 121446.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2023-01-02 121322.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-02 121322.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 9830-02.jpg
    9830-02.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2023-01-02 115820.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-02 115820.jpg