What's new

Shoe color for ministry position interview

I'm going to be traveling to an interview for a youth ministry position in January where I'll be teaching a youth Bible class and lead singing in the worship service as part of the interview. I plan to wear my navy suit with a white dress shirt and simple, small pattern blue tie. I currently own a pair of black plain toe bluchers (not gonna lie, my low quarters from my USAF service uniform) and some cheap brown slip shoes I bought before I started to improve my wardrobe. I am shopping for some budget brown cap toes to replace my cheap slip ons, but for this interview, would you suggest the black shoes? Or make a purchase of brown dress shoes before I go?

Thanks for your help!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'd go with black, but what do I know? My sister says I'm post fashion. Plus Zappa says Brown Shoes Don't Make it

As someone who wants to become a Catholic Priest, I would strongly strongly recommend black.
I recommend this for two reasons, first and foremost its the most traditional and goes well with everything but the even more important reason in my mind is because it shows a sense of humility (don't stop reading here, let me explain some more) the purpose of this interview is to show these people obviously you are devout and want to teach the Bible to the youth. If you are applying for this position you obviously believe that there is something above you, by wearing fashy clothing you take attention away from what you are teaching and would rather have people focus on your sense of fashion. You are a mere vessel of the message of God who shouldn't want all the attention, rather you want the youth to focus on the message manifested in the scriptures.
I might be over analyzing but that's why I am a Theology Major!
Furthermore I don't know if you are Catholic or not but as a Catholic I would like to point out the role of the clerics / Cassock a Priest wears, they are black this black represents their dying to self (along with prostration in front of the faithful during their reception of candidates to the Priesthood) and subsequent rising to a new life completely devoted to Christ.

Thanks everyone! It seems like black is the consensus.

Virginian, I worship in the church of Christ. I'm also a theology major, I'm working toward a BS in Bible/Ministry. I plan to move onto a graduate degree in counseling, either Professional Counseling or Marriage and Family Counseling.

I'm not sure what BSAGuy is trying to say here... I kid.

Thanks again.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Black should be fine. I suspect you might be overthinking the importance of your shoe color - they will probably have more important criterion in mind. Best of luck with the interview.

Go with your black. I spent a number of years as an Air Force officer, and still keep a pair of black bluchers that are appropriate for military uniform wear in my wardrobe at all times. They are a timeless classic. Make sure they are shined and not scuffed.

Black should be fine. I suspect you might be overthinking the importance of your shoe color

You're probably right, but this is very important to me. I'm sure they probably won't even notice, but I do know that black is more conservative, so that's probably what I'll go with.

Make sure they are shined and not scuffed.

No sir, they stay in a decently shined state with shoe trees in them. I will most likely strip and reshine them for this interview though. I would imagine I don't want a parade gloss shine to wear them in a navy suit though.

+1 to the black. Air Force shiny should be appropriate. If they were Army shiny you'd stick out a little. :lol:

Well played sir. I still have my leather low quarters and actually shine them, not corframs. I take pride in my shiney shoes. Although, admittedly they are shinier than my Air Force peers' shoes, when we actually wear them that is.

You're probably right, but this is very important to me. I'm sure they probably won't even notice, but I do know that black is more conservative, so that's probably what I'll go with.

No sir, they stay in a decently shined state with shoe trees in them. I will most likely strip and reshine them for this interview though. I would imagine I don't want a parade gloss shine to wear them in a navy suit though.

Well played sir. I still have my leather low quarters and actually shine them, not corframs. I take pride in my shiney shoes. Although, admittedly they are shinier than my Air Force peers' shoes, when we actually wear them that is.

Perfect ! I can't imagine anything more appropriate.

Ron I

Am I the only one that thinks that black doesn't go with a navy suit? I'd go with the Browns unless truly ratty. Truth is that unless something really sticks out (one direction or either) they'll only remember a sense of well/appropriately dressed or not. Would think the bar for that for a youth minister would be lower - i.e. No flip flops.

but what do I know, I'm just an old 56a whose had Sgts. Major dress me for the last several years ;)

A color a gentleman chooses for his shoes is fine ... as long as he chooses black. :w00t:

I am about as far from a fashion expert as you can get, but I own three pairs of dress shoes, and all three are black. I just never have liked the brown shoe look. That's completely a personal opinion and choice, not any kind of guideline. Additionally, because black shoes go with everything (at least everything that I would ever consider owning), it cuts down on having to think about it.

I'm not sure what the case is nowadays, but traditionally, it was a "well dressed" faux pas to wear brown shoes with a navy suit.

Top Bottom