What's new

Shield Razors (Titanium,316 SS & Aluminum)

Arrived days ago
Shield AC brass, nice razor

photo_2024-05-18_17-34-00.jpg

I finally tripped and fell into the Gem rabbit hole... I ordered a Shield SS Gem 5H to try out. The prices are great and so are the reviews. I ordered 100 blades from Connaught which is a lifetime supply it sounds like. Amazing how it is so much cheaper to buy there and ship them than here in the USA. It will be a couple weeks until I can try them. I first bought an old $20 Micromatic OC to try out the Gem format with that will be here soon, but will still have to wait on the blades. I would have went straight to the Shield if I had known how cheap they are. The MMOC sounds like a good razor too though.

I finally tripped and fell into the Gem rabbit hole... I ordered a Shield SS Gem 5H to try out. The prices are great and so are the reviews. I ordered 100 blades from Connaught which is a lifetime supply it sounds like. Amazing how it is so much cheaper to buy there and ship them than here in the USA. It will be a couple weeks until I can try them. I first bought an old $20 Micromatic OC to try out the Gem format with that will be here soon, but will still have to wait on the blades. I would have went straight to the Shield if I had known how cheap they are. The MMOC sounds like a good razor too though.
This was the path I took a couple months ago. No regrets. Also bought 100 blades from Connaught.

My Shield Gem razor arrived Saturday which was incredibly fast. It came with 20 blades in the container which was nice. I assume they're PTFE since thats what Shield sells and look exactly like the ones I bought from Connaught. Is there a way to tell between different Gem blades by looks? I haven't tried it yet but it looks like very good quality and clamps the blade great. The MMOC I bought shaves great for me so I'm looking forward to trying the Shield. I am going to buy a Shield aluminum Gem when they're back in stock.

Excellent razor, excellent blade gap and good exposure
The razor remains effective and smooth without problems, for its cost it is worth taking, I opted for the brass which has a slightly greater weight "personal tastes"
I have both the SS and Brass Predator GEM razor, and I prefer the brass version mainly for the heavier weight.

The first shave with the Shield was excellent but the handle is too heavy for my taste. I think it will be much better if I use a titanium handle with the SS head next time. The MMOC is easier to load and can hold its own but the Shield shaves great.

I don't know what the threading is on the Shield razor head but I tried to put a Timeless Crown Ti handle on it and it would not thread on at all. It just jammed up tight right away. I tried 4 different Timeless handles (3 crown handles and the bronze handle) and not one would thread on. I tried a DSC titanium destroyer and DSC titanium THT handle and they did screw on. The DSC handles have a little slop in them at the beginning normally where the Timeless are more precisely threaded maybe that is why? Are the Shield razors threaded for M5 or 10/32?

My Shield Gem razor arrived Saturday which was incredibly fast. It came with 20 blades in the container which was nice. I assume they're PTFE since thats what Shield sells and look exactly like the ones I bought from Connaught. Is there a way to tell between different Gem blades by looks? I haven't tried it yet but it looks like very good quality and clamps the blade great. The MMOC I bought shaves great for me so I'm looking forward to trying the Shield. I am going to buy a Shield aluminum Gem when they're back in stock.
You got lucky with 20 blades, I got mine a couple weeks ago and it only had 3 blades. It also had some skin conditioner stuff as a freebie so I can’t complain but the blades would have been nice. And I could be wrong but I believe if they say GEM on the blade then it’s at least meant for shaving and it might only be the coated ones that say it.

I only shaved with my Shield SS GEM twice so far since I have so many other new ones to test out. My first shave felt rough and I stopped very quickly (possibly bad blade). The second shave on a new blade was much smoother and I believe I found a better angle but it felt odd holding the razor handle at the angle it needed since I do the majority of my shaving going upwards instead of downwards. Under my chin area it’s very hard to tilt the razor the right way without the handle being so close to my face. The MMOC shaved great for me last month.

I’ll use the Shield some more in the future but figure I’ll get a Sabre L2 or Wolfman WR3 for my GEM fix.

I don't know what the threading is on the Shield razor head but I tried to put a Timeless Crown Ti handle on it and it would not thread on at all. It just jammed up tight right away. I tried 4 different Timeless handles (3 crown handles and the bronze handle) and not one would thread on. I tried a DSC titanium destroyer and DSC titanium THT handle and they did screw on. The DSC handles have a little slop in them at the beginning normally where the Timeless are more precisely threaded maybe that is why? Are the Shield razors threaded for M5 or 10/32?
That’s very strange. I have the Shield aluminum Stomper and it works fine with any handle I throw at it, including my Timeless Crowns

I had some resistance with a polished SS Stomper head/thread on a Razorock Vintage Thin. Messaged Mike, he said M5, I said ok, tried again & once past that resistance it was fine. It threaded on better than the OEM handle.

I was afraid I'd damage the threads on one or the other so I stopped. I'll try it again sometime but I'm not going to force it much since I have two DSC titanium handles that work.

It will work but you must be careful and screw the handle in at a slight angle. The screw is flat.

I tried them again, I'm sure on the correct angle and the Timeless handles are not going to work. They get so tight after a couple threads either the post or threads will be destroyed if I force it. I think the rectangular post is just too wide for the Timeless handles. The DS Cosmetics handles have less play initially on the Shield head than on all other razor heads. I like them so it's fine. It's just odd the Timeless won't fit.

Top Bottom