What's new

Shaving with very old blades - no thank you...

A long time ago, I inherited some DE razor blades from my Grandpa, who was born in 1917. However, there were no razors included, and my mom suggests that her sister's family pilfered them. In any event, this is what I've got. The Marlin Rifle blades are much thicker than current blades sold today, and given that it's non-stainless steel, even though these were secured in arid California, it's a cheese-grater to the face. I can't recommend trying to shave with stainful vintage razor blades.
20231224_022350.jpg

Carbon steel blades are almost certain to be degraded by now, even stored dry. Not the most stable material around. The stainless ones should be fine.

Interesting that the Marlin blades are thicker than usual -- the original Gillette blades were very heavy by modern standards (0.020" instead of 0.004 or 0.005"). Some older blades are 0.006" thick and I believe would be enough stiffer to notice. I got a bunch of used European ones with a Bakelite Slant I got a few years ago, and some of them were thick too. Did not try shaving with them though, looked used.

The stainless blades will be fine, although the oil may have petrified making them hard to get out of the dispensers. Also certain to be at least 0.005" thick, modern blades are 0.004" as a rule.

Never had luck with carbon steel blades, whether vintage or new. IMHO they are cheap trash and best avoided.

A well-preserved stainless blade with the same types of PTFE and Platinum coatings that newer blades have should be just fine.

Top Bottom