What's new

Shaving soap for sensitive skin

Hello everyone,

I would like to get your take on some good soaps for sensitive skin. What are your suggestions? I've been using Proraso white pre-shave + shave, and lavera post-shave. I've heard that ironically Proraso red / green is actually better than white, so I'm definitely interested in trying those out.

I've also heard that fragrances can affect sensitive skin, so if there are any nice brands that have unscented I think that would be a plus.

Lastly if anyone has any experience with brands that have more natural ingredients I would certainly be interested. I recently bought some "shaving butter" from Shea Moisture, but that was a mistake as it's a ready made cream to apply directly to the face, and quite frankly didn't seem to work to well with DE shaving...

I also have really sensitive skin and House of Mammoth so far has been the most protective soap I've tried. They have an unscented option called Z. That said, I haven't had any issues with their scented offerings giving me frag burn, etc. The only possible issue for skin might be the lanolin in their formula, so if you react to that it would be a no go.

Hello everyone,

I would like to get your take on some good soaps for sensitive skin. What are your suggestions? I've been using Proraso white pre-shave + shave, and lavera post-shave. I've heard that ironically Proraso red / green is actually better than white, so I'm definitely interested in trying those out.

I've also heard that fragrances can affect sensitive skin, so if there are any nice brands that have unscented I think that would be a plus.

Lastly if anyone has any experience with brands that have more natural ingredients I would certainly be interested. I recently bought some "shaving butter" from Shea Moisture, but that was a mistake as it's a ready made cream to apply directly to the face, and quite frankly didn't seem to work to well with DE shaving...

Sir taiga, with 'sensitive' skin, requires some experimentation.
Also, preshave prep can have big impact on reducing irritation!
You might well find huge variations in your sensitivity to both fragranced and 'non-fragranced' products!!
Enjoy the journey!

Officina Artigiana Milano. Here’s the description of their croaps/soaps: “Ideal also for the most difficult beards and the most delicate skins.”.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Stearie Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinen-sis (Jojoba) Oil. Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool.

I have sensitive skin and this is the only soap which works really well for me. It lathers really well and it is very stable.

I have insanely sensitive skin and i get a very bad reaction to anything with Coumarin, Lanolin, Lavender and Almond oil in it which eliminates a huge amount of shaving soaps out of the market for me. I have found most unscented soaps are not truly unscented and have a stronger scent than most minimal/plain citrus soaps which i tolerate well. TFS Agrumes and DR Harris Arlington are my go to soaps. For example Fendrihan unscented has a very strong almost spicy scent to it which lights my faceup even though the ingredient list has no mention of fragrance or parfum and the scent lingers for a while. "Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Laurate, Aqua, Glycerin, Lauric Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate" So thats another thing to be very careful of, not all unscented soaps are as skin friendly as they might seem and thats the reason why i always try to find very light and minimal citrus soaps instead.

Haslinger Sensitive has no fragrance or color added and performs very well. Cella Extra Extra Bio (green tub) is a good soap with a fairly mild fragrance and a very short list of organic ingredients (avoid the Cella in the red tub, though, some people are sensitive to the fragrance in it).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have psoriatic arthritis and its effects spill over onto my face. It reacts to most scented soaps so I've had to move away from them, unfortunately. I like what scents can add to a shave, but my face does not. As a result, I've found and enjoy the following unscenteda soaps:

1. Canada Shaving Soap
2. Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
3. Grooming Department Unscented Pura
4. Baume.be Cream: not unscented but mild enough so it doesn't light me up
5. PAA Scentsless CK-6
6. Captain's Choice unscented... no longer in production
7. Mystic Water Sensitive Skin soap
8. Southern Witchcrafts unscented Incorporeal

I will say.... I measured all these soaps against Canada Shaving Soap.... it's wonderful and a very good place to start with unscented soaps.

Hello everyone,

Almost any unscented shaving soap will be good for sensitive skin.

I make my own unscented soap and I get literally no skin irritation, puffiness and even zero feedback from alum.

I had realized it was the combination of fragrance and the blade scraping the skin, that lead to worsening skin sensitivity.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My skin has reacted to several popular soaps and I now use ARKO and have never had a problem with irritation after years of use.

As I said in the other thread, try Stirling Unscented Beeswax shaving soap. It is a tallow based soap with beeswax instead of lanolin.

Stay away from heavily perfumed soaps. Read the other response.

I can highly recommend Martin de Candre Nature.
Haslinger Sensitive is probably also very good.
Anything Cella or almond oil really gave me bad reactions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom