What's new

Shaving cream gets pushed up the brush when painting face?

I will note that I use Proraso soap from the tube. Picked up on sale for $8.

That works. Proraso cream is a good place to start.

When I use cream from a tube, I squeeze out a dab onto my fingertips and distribute it around my face, then scrub with a damp brush, adding water with the brush tips several more times as I scrub, to get the consistency I want.

Just one way, there are many other methods that work.

You don't want the lather "on" your brush, you want it "in" your brush.

Load longer or use more cream!!!!! Less water to start. Ditch the bowl and face lather.

Below are a few pics I took for previous 'brush' threads. These are loaded brushes, haven't lathered yet.

Each brush is fully loaded, base to tips, with Tabac goodness.

PXL_20231225_024133886.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20231220_233320086.PORTRAIT.jpg

A lot of people here prefer to face lather, that is, to build the lather directly on the face. The brush then acts as a reservoir for lather during the rest of the shave.

This has some advantages: it can be faster, you can feel exactly what you are doing when building the lather and also better helps prepare your whiskers for shaving.

A bowl may be used to initially load a soap paste into the brush, but then the lather is still built directly on the face.

Okay. I'm kind of new to this. The YTers make it look like bowl shaving is the way to go. I just got a sweet mug for Christmas so I guess I'm a bowl latherer until the novelty wears off.

Is using the bowl initially for loading a brush the standard for bowl shavers or is that just a face lather standard?

Most YTers I have seen build a big lather in the bowl and use it for painting. In my recent studies I do see one or two guys load in the bowl and then build a later on the face. I think GEO does a bit of both. He gets really thick and dry looking cream. I'm just so confused.

You don't want the lather "on" your brush, you want it "in" your brush.

Load longer or use more cream!!!!! Less water to start. Ditch the bowl and face lather.

Below are a few pics I took for previous 'brush' threads. These are loaded brushes, haven't lathered yet.

Each brush is fully loaded, base to tips, with Tabac goodness.

View attachment 1777978View attachment 1777979
Thanks for sharing man. The visuals are really helpful. I'll pay closer attention to the way my brush looks.

That works. Proraso cream is a good place to start.

When I use cream from a tube, I squeeze out a dab onto my fingertips and distribute it around my face, then scrub with a damp brush, adding water with the brush tips several more times as I scrub, to get the consistency I want.

Just one way, there are many other methods that work.

Thanks for the idea. I just got a new bowl for Christmas. I feel bad not using it.

This is a persistent myth, back-and-forth strokes work well, they don't ruin your Zen or take away your pleasure! What is so natural about going in circles, anyway? This is just a comfortable habit. Back-and-forth strokes actually do a nice job.
Hear! Hear! 🍺

Thanks for the idea. I just got a new bowl for Christmas. I feel bad not using it.

I understand. 🙂

As you stated in your other post, you can start in the bowl and finish on your face. Kind of a hybrid, and not a lot different than loading directly from the soap/cream and face lathering.

I particularly liked your reference to bowl lathering as a novelty, as that is how I now view it. When I first started shaving with a brush I thought it was kinda cool but now I find it completely unnecessary...and when I face lather I feel like I get a longer and more thorough scrub vs just painting on lather from a bowl.

Of course, either method is effective and (again) personal preference.

...Most YTers I have seen build a big lather in the bowl and use it for painting. In my recent studies I do see one or two guys load in the bowl and then build a later on the face. I think GEO does a bit of both. He gets really thick and dry looking cream. I'm just so confused.

Don't worry, it's just because you are new to this. Eventually, you will probably learn both bowl lathering and face lathering and you can go either way.

Remember, people on YouTube are presenting things, putting on a show or selling something. Big, overflowing bowls of lather are not necessary or even desirable even if they look cool. Not everybody wants to spend 30 minutes shaving. I personally like to be done in 10 minutes, so I don't want to turn it into a big ceremony. Face lathering works well and it's quick.

To elaborate a little more on my previous comments and to address Ytube shaving channels, as noted by others, I have seen my share of different content creators, and they tend to create lathers that look good for the camera but are not necessarily the most effective for shaving. A tipoff for that is the amount of time they take to create and lather their face. I suppose if time is not a factor that's fine, but not when you're trying to get to work, to bed, or to a social event. Also, I am always suspicious when they tell me that I should go for a yogurt-like lather.

IMO, the videos to watch for lathering tips are barbers. While they tend to bowl lather, what you want to pay attention to is their lather consistency. I think all the ones I've watched make a wetter, thinner lather for more slickness and it doesn't matter whether you bowl or face lather.

In addition to keeping the lather down closer to the tips of the brush, squeezing with the fingers on the knot also makes the bristles more rigid. My Omega 10048 has a high loft, and pinching the bristles really helps work the lather into the face. That's a fine brush BTW!

My two cents.

Really appreciate the feedback.

Today I followed @gpjoe and @NorthernSoul bowl lathering technique. Mostly loaded the brush in the bowl, but might have done a bit more of a hybrid swirling it a few more times. Then I built the lather on my face.

I felt like a got a solid lather. I also used the techniques to keep the cream off the side of the brush and it worked. I implemented a twisting and wipe technique. Then would paint it across. My fingertips stayed fairly clean.

At the end of the day, I had a superb shave.

To elaborate a little more on my previous comments and to address Ytube shaving channels, as noted by others, I have seen my share of different content creators, and they tend to create lathers that look good for the camera but are not necessarily the most effective for shaving. A tipoff for that is the amount of time they take to create and lather their face. I suppose if time is not a factor that's fine, but not when you're trying to get to work, to bed, or to a social event. Also, I am always suspicious when they tell me that I should go for a yogurt-like lather.

IMO, the videos to watch for lathering tips are barbers. While they tend to bowl lather, what you want to pay attention to is their lather consistency. I think all the ones I've watched make a wetter, thinner lather for more slickness and it doesn't matter whether you bowl or face lather.

In addition to keeping the lather down closer to the tips of the brush, squeezing with the fingers on the knot also makes the bristles more rigid. My Omega 10048 has a high loft, and pinching the bristles really helps work the lather into the face. That's a fine brush BTW!

My two cents.

I noticed that as well. Barbers have a lot more soupy lathers.

There seems to be a theme between the B&B members, which is actually a good reminder. That is to not forget YTers are trying to sell a product.

I noticed that as well. Barbers have a lot more soupy lathers.

There seems to be a theme between the B&B members, which is actually a good reminder. That is to not forget YTers are trying to sell a product.
Stop watching YouTube. Don't compare your lather to anyone elses. Soup like it runny, some like it past, some like it airy.

It it works for you, who cares what it looks like. That's why I generally don't post pics of lathered brushes.

From an old thread of mine:

DON'T GO FOR A LATHER LOOK - This is #10, but could easily be the #1 piece of advise along with using more product. If it shaves well, that's all that matters. It does not have to look like yogurt, mayo, whipped cream or cool whip. If it works for you, who cares what it looks like or what others say about it.

Stop watching YouTube. Don't compare your lather to anyone elses. Soup like it runny, some like it past, some like it airy.

It it works for you, who cares what it looks like. That's why I generally don't post pics of lathered brushes.
Thanks man. I am going to experiment then and find what work bests or is more enjoyable. I did soupy today and didn't really sense any difference in quality shave.

Top Bottom