What's new

Shavette vs Regular Straight

Beginners can successfully begin on either, often the decision to use one or the other come down to cost.

It could come down to cost. For me it came down to maintenance. I'm too lazy to do the upkeep on a straight, so I use a shavette when I'm not using a DE.

I chose a shavette because I want to see if I have the coordination required before committing myself to the expense of a quality straight razor and all the gear required to maintaining a straight. I'm one shave in with it, and there is definitely room for improvement, but if it doesn't work I'm only out $30.

and I'd toss up the shavette you might consider seriously to get the sense of straights would be the Artist Club. I think you get a real sense of DE shavettes with a number of open comb designs - they offer the feeling of clean blade to skin that you would want to guide carefully seeking to minimise nicks. With the Artist Club either a folder or kami, you'll gain the kinesiology of holding and guiding the straight. These have a couple of blade designs which can help avoid some the worst of a straight bite.

On the last hand, if you go vintage, there are many straights out there which are FAR less expensive than AC new and it is the fastest way to learn how to ride these type of horses. And by all means, follow Jim P's recommendation and read that forum thread.

Same as Jim, I started with a very basic set up, boar brush, inexpensive soap and a disposable straight with 100 Derby halve blades, just to see if it was for me.

Now... well... lets just say that I'm looking for a JNat to complement my honing set :w00t:

What I learned from the disposable was very much transferable to the full metal straight, and thought it shaves well, I haven't used it again.

if you want my opinion, i'd say easiest is a long-single edged shavette like Feather or Kai, in particular the Proguard blade.
Next, would be a 5/8" round edge, full hollow straight.
Then, would be a shavette with a double edge blade.
I know, does not sound logical, but just my experience.

View attachment 710722

In my limited experience a rounded straight razor was easier for me to learn on than the shavette I am currently using now. The issue with the straight is I believe I dulled it took quickly so it needs a honing which I cannot afford at the moment. For a straight to be ideal for me I need several of them so I can have one or two being honed and a couple that I can use. Which at this juncture in my life will not happen. So the shavette is how I go now, since I have a bunch of blades for it.

It may well be that the shavette I got is a cheaper one but I still have difficulties with it and I still cannot go against the grain on and around my chin, I get cut up pretty bad if I do.

Again this is my very limited experience so take what I type with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom