What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

...I know some folks don't get on with these razors but I think they are fine shavers given how simplistic they are...

They shave great, but can be treacherous. My nastiest cut ever was with a Sedef with a DE half-blade...actually it was two cuts.

I brought the razor up to my right cheek with my left hand to do an ATG from my ear towards my mouth. I came in at too high an angle and the razor bit my cheek...I flinched, cursed, and instantly (without pause to think) went right back for another try. That one was worse. I actually removed a shallow piece of skin from my cheek and now have two noticeable scars near my sideburns area.

So, I've decided that since the Sedef will not tolerate my carelessness, I'm out. 😄

Whilst I wait, can you tell me how you store your razor between shaves? Do you use a stand of some type for drying purposes? I can’t seem to find anything that doesn’t look like junk. When out of rotation, it would go back in its box, but, while in rotation, no clue what to do with it.
For all my barber razors (including my DX), I remove the blade cover, I rinse off the blade, wipe it dry and store it in the Feather AC version of these blade dryers (which I rubber band to the AC blade dispenser/blade sleeve so I know which type of blade it is, since I have several different kinds of AC blades in my den). I rinse off the blade cover of the razor as well as the rest of the razor and wipe it down to get rid of the water droplets. I then leave the razor disassembled to dry further and remove any moisture. The next day, I will reassemble the razor. I have a pair of these wooden test tube racks that I store razors that are in my current rotation or are drying.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you couldn't inset the A77.

I used a half blade A77 in the turkish shavette. Once you insert it (the hardest part is to open that end area that is not made for the De blade) then you need to adjust the exposure by pushing the sides of the blade till the desired blade exposure.

I have been thinking to insert some metal to fill the space so that the A77 can fit normally.

However rest sure that the blade once inserted it will not move. I might try to make a video how to fix the blade if you want to.

Cheers

I thought I had read a post where someone inserted a thin wire into the spine of the Sedef (like a sort of spacer) to back up an AC blade.

Try to regulate the blade exposure with another sedef razor or pushing from the sides at the wall. Don't use the fingers.

I've watched "Barber T" on youtoob, and he is a wizard with the Sedef, and the reason I bought mine...he makes it look safe and easy.

In one video he seats the blade by pushing the edge against plastic handle of another razor, or a wooden object, even his thumbnail.

I use a bamboo shish kabob skewer or chopstick.

You may be better getting a type 77 razors. They only cost a couple of £ and may save someone losing a digit.

In saying that though they are very light and cheaply made. Definitely not for everyone.

I'm with you regarding using blades with the intended razor.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
For all my barber razors (including my DX), I remove the blade cover, I rinse off the blade, wipe it dry and store it in the Feather AC version of these blade dryers (which I rubber band to the AC blade dispenser/blade sleeve so I know which type of blade it is, since I have several different kinds of AC blades in my den). I rinse off the blade cover of the razor as well as the rest of the razor and wipe it down to get rid of the water droplets. I then leave the razor disassembled to dry further and remove any moisture. The next day, I will reassemble the razor. I have a pair of these wooden test tube racks that I store razors that are in my current rotation or are drying.
Nice! Thank you.

Nice! Thank you.
You are welcome! I have the GEM style and DE style of those blade dryers as well and really like them. I am up to 17 of them right now: 9 AC, 4 GEM, and 4 DE. The person who makes them is pretty busy, so expect a month or so to get them delivered if you are in the USA.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For razors that are not in my current rotation, I bought a four pack of these clear trays with dividers.

For my barber razors, I can stand the cases on end (so the razors are resting on the divider walls) or flat.
I only have a few and I keep them in a dresser drawer in one of those Thiers-Issard leather sheaths. My DX shows up tomorrow, after its extended stay in US Customs.

They shave great, but can be treacherous. My nastiest cut ever was with a Sedef with a DE half-blade...actually it was two cuts.

I think the Type 77 is to me what the Sedef is to you - the only really bad cut I ever gave myself was when it snagged and dug in on my cheek. That was also a left-handed ear-to-mouth XTG stroke! There's still a faint scar, but it wasn't that long ago and the mark is fading.

Most of the time, if I nick myself it's when I am moving the razor around carelessly inbetween strokes and stab myself by mistake!

I've watched "Barber T" on youtoob, and he is a wizard with the Sedef, and the reason I bought mine...he makes it look safe and easy.

In one video he seats the blade by pushing the edge against plastic handle of another razor, or a wooden object, even his thumbnail.

I do the same thing - snap off the "tab" on one end, insert the blade, snap off the "tab" at the other end, then push the corners of the blade against something to insert it all the way and level it up. I figure that also helps to dull the corners of the blade a little so they are less likely to cause a scratch, although touch wood that hasn't been a problem for me so far.

I had another excellent Sedef shave this evening and I am now watching Barber T remove a 6 month beard with one. That looks soooo satisfying!

Watching some of his other videos, I think I would find it pretty difficult to shave someone else with a shavette...all the angles would be very different and you obviously wouldn't be able to feel the blade. I suspect it's more difficult than shaving yourself.

Growth: 2.5 day beard
Prep: Warm shower: Stirling Sheep bar soap
Pre: None
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm premium boar knot with Maggard Razors sky blue 25mm handle
Lather: Van Der Hagen Select Shave Soap
Load Bowl: Old Spice Mug
Lather Bowl: Old Spice Mug

Razor: Feather AC Super Razor (SR) Folding
Blade: Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG (D6)

Razor: Kai Captain Standard R-Type Folding Razor
Blade: Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG (D6)

Third pass:
Razor: Schick 500 Injector Razor
Blade: Chinese Schick (D7+)

3 pass mustache and chin area, 2 pass neck, 1 pass elsewhere

It has been a year since I did a comparison of the Feather SR with the Kai Captain Standard and that was with the SR kamisori (not the SR folding). My lather has improved since then for this type of shave (have gone for a wetter, sloppier lather). I shaved on the right with the Feather and on the left with the Kai. I had two nicks from the Feather. Zero from the Kai. The Kai provided a closer shave and loaded the blade more easily. The Kai has better jimps. The SR has a nice anti-stick finish.

Last edited:
I have been trying this week to get my straight razors shave ready using lapping film, balsa strop but I didn't get the comfort I was looking for. Today I went to the turkish shavette with an A77 blade. Here I got the comfortable shave but boy how sharp this blade is compared to my straight razor edges.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Razor= Type 77
Blade= Rhino #3
Brush= ANBBAS synthetic
Soap= Speick Active
Aftershave= Superdrug Forest Fresh

20240326_195417.jpg

Soap= Speick Active

I am not sure I ever saw that before. How is it? I like the veggie Speick stick and was going to get more when my current stick is finished, but this would be a good alternative.

On a different note, I was doing some tidying today and took a picture of my shavettes currently on deck in the rotation. You can see my DX has arrived, but I haven't used it yet as I have been enjoying my Sedef!

20240325_142939.jpg

Not pictured:
  • Type 77, which I don't really get on with.
  • "Strong Leopard" type razor with terrible blade clamping so I don't use it.
  • Several Sanguine Swingbacks. There's nothing wrong with them but I only have space for so many on top of the dresser!
  • Cheap push-type razor with wonky blade exposure.
...I am sure I am missing something but that's all I can think of.

I am not sure I ever saw that before. How is it? I like the veggie Speick stick and was going to get more when my current stick is finished, but this would be a good alternative.

On a different note, I was doing some tidying today and took a picture of my shavettes currently on deck in the rotation. You can see my DX has arrived, but I haven't used it yet as I have been enjoying my Sedef!

View attachment 1818754

Not pictured:
  • Type 77, which I don't really get on with.
  • "Strong Leopard" type razor with terrible blade clamping so I don't use it.
  • Several Sanguine Swingbacks. There's nothing wrong with them but I only have space for so many on top of the dresser!
  • Cheap push-type razor with wonky blade exposure.
...I am sure I am missing something but that's all I can think of.
Very nice collection. I ordered that Strong Leopard razor, but your feedback has already prepared me to consider that I lost money on it.

This Focus Slim has become tempting to get but it is too much for me at the moment.

Glad to read your coming feedback on Feather Dx and the comparison between original Dx and the clone.

No offence taken. I was being very tongue in cheek and sometimes the truth hurts! All OK thanks......but at a time I thought it wasn't and suddenly realised that IF I did have to go into hospital.....I wouldn't be able to take any of my paraphernalia with me. Health and Safety etc. I bought an electric to keep myself covered.

Top Bottom