What's new

Shaves, The Gentlemen's Barber Shop! (Spring Lake NJ) Anyone tried them?

IF YOU LIVE IN NJ YOU MUST GO TO SHANE! GREAT HAIRCUTS! GREAT SHAVES!
OK, I'm sold. My next haircut is coming up in about 2~3 weeks, might as well go check him out. Google says its about an hour's ride from Browns Mills, but then again, everywhere else I go (except work) is an hour away, too.

And the price looks reasonable, too. I spent $57 (with tip) on my last haircut at American Male in Mt. Laurel, so I can definitely swing his cost.

PS: he now carries castle forbes products.
I'll probably pick up some while I'm there. My collection is full of upscale products, but I think its time I graduate to the top shelf.

Last edited:
J

jrebeiro

This thread has helped me out!

I'm looking for an old-fashioned barber shop to take my groomsmen the morning of my wedding. I was planning on going to The Den in Long Branch but it appears to be closed.

I called Shane at Old World Shaving Parlor this afternoon and talked to him about my plans. My only worry is that he only has 2 chairs and each cut and shave will take 30 minutes. With 8 guys that's easily 4 hours!

Since I'm also doing this for the photographs it will provide, I'm leaning heavily towards it since everyone is saying how authentic and old-fashioned the place is.

I'm probably going to check it out one evening this week.

As far as alternatives, is Male Ego more modern.. if not, which location is better Manalapan or Red Bank? How about Shaves in Spring Lake? I'm looking more for ambiance than the best shave in the area. Don't get me wrong, I want my guys to have a good shave.. but I also want to have a good time doing it and want amazing pictures to remember later on!

I'm looking for an old-fashioned barber shop to take my groomsmen the morning of my wedding. I was planning on going to The Den in Long Branch but it appears to be closed.

Don't wait until the morning of your wedding. Even the best haircut needs 2 or 3 days to look "broken in." By scheduling your haircuts several days in advance, it will alleviate the time crunch. Then, you only need worry about getting the shaves done right before the photos.

This thread has helped me out!

I called Shane at Old World Shaving Parlor this afternoon and talked to him about my plans. My only worry is that he only has 2 chairs and each cut and shave will take 30 minutes. With 8 guys that's easily 4 hours!

Since I'm also doing this for the photographs it will provide, I'm leaning heavily towards it since everyone is saying how authentic and old-fashioned the place is.

I'm probably going to check it out one evening this week.

As far as alternatives, is Male Ego more modern.. if not, which location is better Manalapan or Red Bank? How about Shaves in Spring Lake? I'm looking more for ambiance than the best shave in the area. Don't get me wrong, I want my guys to have a good shave.. but I also want to have a good time doing it and want amazing pictures to remember later on!

I live in Middletown (the town over from Red Bank) and unfortunately never went to this shop. I have seen it plenty of times but never went it.

However, if you have hours to kill, Red Bank is a nice area to do it in. You can walk around Broad while some are still finishing up and hit some restaurants and/or get drinks. All in all, I think you would enjoy the Red Bank area as opposed to Manalapan.

Side note, what is the cost of shave/haircut?

UPDATE​

So last Friday I was at the gym and decided I needed to get a trim. I was headed to Manhattan for the weekend and knew I'd be going North so I tried calling Shane at the Old World Shaving Parlor in Red Bank... he didn't answer. I tried calling again 10 minutes later thinking that maybe he was just busy given that it was a Friday but still no answer. I knew he had gotten in a motorcycle accident sometime around thanksgiving but seemed to be fine last time I saw him, still haven't spoken to him (I hope all is okay).

Realizing that he wasn't going to be able to make me look all purty and such I decided to stop by Shaves. To be honest, I kind of felt like I was cheating on Shane going to Shaves.

After all the negative vibes I got from the place without any first hand experience, it was time to give them a real chance.

**It should be noted that they have updated their website www.shavesgentlemensbarbershop.com **

I checked their website a few months back for some reason and realized that the Margaritaville Foot Treatment was no longer on the menu. If it was, I would have definitely made it a point not to go on there.

It turns out that Shaves is now under new ownership!

It seems that the previous owner of Shaves lost interest and the employees purchased the place from him. Now Shaves is employee owned which in my opinion is the best kind of business.

I didn't get a shave but my haircut was great and would def go there for a shave. They even have a locker type program where you can bring your own brush and soap and they will store it there for when you come in and get a shave.

I'm still not keen on AOS products, but this shop is not the same Shaves that it was. They have their act together and should be visited by anyone in the area.

Worth a look.

Enjoy

David

PS: If you do go in there, tell them you heard good stuff about them on Badger and Blade. The new owners haven't owned it even 6 months yet and I'm sure they'd be happy to hear about the success of their new management.

PPS: If your in Red Bank, still pay Shane a visit at the Old World Shaving Parlor, see my review.... he still runs a great shop too.

What?!? What happened?

I stopped by the Old World Shaving Parlor in Red Bank last week and there was a sign on the door that they were doing renovations and were closed. I looked inside and pictures were smashed to bits and ripped out of their frames, glass all over the floor...not sure what this means but the rest of the place looked ok. Maybe this has something to do with what it appears as Shane moving?

If he opened up this shop in Red Bank, why the move all of a sudden?

That's very bizzare. I hope someone goes to him up at the Clubhouse and finds out what the deal is (or at least his side of it).

The picture they have of him on the site doesn't really look like him but who knows.

As I was reading this thread, I was all set to go up to Red Bank tomorrow to get something done. Of course, that was up until I read about what happened. Might make the trip up to Clark, not sure if I want to drive an hour each way on my day off.

Wow. That's just amazing. He told me around Xmas that he'd broken up with his ex, she was older and had a bad seed kid, and he also told me about his motorcycle accident. I had no idea she owned the place. So odd.

Hey guys just saw this post and there is a guy in downtown Spring Lake who used to work at Shaves and opened a barbershop called "Fathers Moustache" and he gave me a buzz cut and shave this week..I loved it, multiple hot and cool towels and reclining chair etc. I'm not an expert on barber shaves but I enjoyed it and it was a great experience..anyways...here is his info:

Fathers Mustache salon for men

732-359-7672
304 Morris Ave
Spring Lake, NJ

I found Shane Bruno!

He IS back in Red Bank, at a place called Glen Goldbaum's Lambs & Wolves Den of Beauty. I went there for a cut last week. Same excellent cut and treatment (including the beer), and they even called me a few days after to see if I liked the cut. Here's the number: 732-741-3777

He is also at the shop's sister site on days he's not at L&W. http://www.gleng72.com/

W

weare138

FULL DISCLOSURE: the owner/barber Chris and I have a bunch of mutual friends most of whom he cuts, but last week was our first meeting.

Had a cut and a shave at Calabrese's in Keyport this past Friday and was very pleased. The shop had a great vibe, bunch of townies shooting the **** after work and it looks AMAZING. Looks like it's been there for 100 years and the music selection could have been pulled right out of my ipod (classic country/bluegrass/folk).

The cut was absolutely perfect. I gave him a horrible description and he totally nailed it. All scissors, short and choppy, Chris called it the "grown out crew cut".

This was my first shave and while it was extremely enjoyable, couple hot towels, hot lather, shave, cold towel, old man aftershave, it wasn't as close as I'd expected. I think I get a closer shave with my trusty Sensor Excel.

I definitely plan on being a regular. The cut and shave only cost 30.00, 17.00 individually. Seems pretty fair to me.

Although this is an old thread, I was wondering if anyone has been to Old World Shaving Parlor since it has been under new ownership. I remembered this thread from when it first started, but never got around to going until now (after I saw about the incident). The place seems to receive good reviews on yelp.

Top Bottom