What's new

Shampoo Bar Suggestions

I really like the DH Harris Arlington shampoo bar, thanks to this thread. Also used the QCS orange shampoo bar.

The Queens left my hair a little greasy. I think I may have to use the vinegar rinse. The Arlington left my hair feeling great with no special rinse.

I've been using the Chagrin Valley for a few weeks now. I also picked up 3 of Mike's when they recently went on sale. So far I think the Chagrin Valley lathers really easily. It has a lather that is a bit closer to standard shampoo than what I got from Mike's or MW. I would say in the shower it's a very pleasant experience.

So far I think it's leaving my hair a tad dryer than Mike's or MW did. Maybe it strips a bit more of the oils out of the hair? I've been using the citrus mint soapnuts bar. I also have a rosemary mint bar that I'll try, it might be a little more conditioning.

Right now my preference is likely Mike's, MW, and then Chagrin Valley. But I like all three of them better than any shampoo I've used...

I am a huge fan of Lush products. They are all natural; most (if not all of them) are edible. I use their shampoo bars and skin care products, they have interesting shaving creams too. They are in a lot of malls, so there is a good chance you won't have to order, and the staff at my local store at least are knowledgable and helpful.

I've tried Lush, Wild Prairie, and Rocky Mountain shampoo bars and have been using them for about a year. I used to have problems with my scalp being dry and flaking to the point of being raw. I now have no problems and my hairdresser comments on how my hair has changed for the better. I will never go back to commercial shampoo.

I've tried Lush, Wild Prairie, and Rocky Mountain shampoo bars and have been using them for about a year. I used to have problems with my scalp being dry and flaking to the point of being raw. I now have no problems and my hairdresser comments on how my hair has changed for the better. I will never go back to commercial shampoo.

I had the same benefits when I started using shampoo bars. I had a few circles of dry scalp that had been there for years. I just ignored them for the most part, but occasionally when I wasn't thinking about it I would scratch at it.

Once I started using shampoo bars all of my dry spots went away, my scalp is much healthier now! And my hair is thinning pretty good, so a healthy scalp is a must!

After a couple years of trying may different brands, settled on Woody's Hair and Body Bar. Very balanced and one bar lasts at least a month. My skin and hair love it.

I am a huge fan of Lush products. They are all natural; most (if not all of them) are edible. I use their shampoo bars and skin care products, they have interesting shaving creams too. They are in a lot of malls, so there is a good chance you won't have to order, and the staff at my local store at least are knowledgable and helpful.

Lush uses Sodium Laurel Sulfate in their shampoo bars

I love shampoo bars, but I have a hard time finding one that smells good. The ones with Neem Oil work well but smell bad to me. I'm a sucker for good scented products. Anyone find ones that smell really nice?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I tried Chagrin Valley shampoo bars a year or two ago (don't remember the exact time frame) and wasn't overly impressed. Well, I decided to give them another go and ordered some samples. Nowadays I go back and forth between a good matte wax/clay or an oil based pomade for shine. I am blown away by these shampoo bars' effectiveness at taking out pomades. The vast majority of the time, they take the grease completely out of my hair with a single lathering.

My only concern is that with time these may leave my hair dry. Might have to try one of their conditioners. :)

Used Chagrin Valley for about a year but wanted to find something that made my scalp feel better. Found QCS and was instantly happy! QCS Tea Tree Lavender has something in it that stopped my scalp from itching. Really works well.

I love shampoo bars, but I have a hard time finding one that smells good. The ones with Neem Oil work well but smell bad to me. I'm a sucker for good scented products. Anyone find ones that smell really nice?

I haven't tried them all but I think the ones from Mystic Waters have a nice scent.

I really like the DH Harris Arlington shampoo bar, thanks to this thread. The Arlington left my hair feeling great with no special rinse.

I found those and ordered some, including the Arlington, so far my favorite DRH scent. Although getting away from SLS was not my primary reason for switching, Michelle with MW pointed out, correctly, that the DRH has SLS as the primary ingredient. I haven't tried any of those yet and I hope they don't disappoint me.

I've been using Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Bar Soap, Lavender scent. The idea behind a shampoo bar is to clean your hair and scalp without all of the harmful ingredients that are found in mass produced liquid shampoos. For example, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a detergent/foaming agent that cleans so well it strips most of the scalp's natural oils which can dry the scalp and lead to itching.
JR Liggetts is about as good as it gets , also Pine Tar bars make a great shampoo and definitely Dr. Bronner's. I'm finding out most of the natural soaps make a better shampoo than any plastic bottle. Rocky Mountain Soapworks is another good natural soap that works good as a shampoo. SLS's have been linked to hair loss from what I've read too, not sure if it's true but my hair and scalp feel better and look better with the bar soaps. they tend to balance it to a natural state.

I've used Queen Charlotte Soaps, Mystic Waters, and Mike's Natural, all with excellent results. Find a fragrance you like among those three and give it a try. I've been using shampoo bars for over two years now and am not at all tempted to go back to regular, harsh-chemical-filled liquid shampoos.

Top Bottom