What's new

Shameless Dime Store Aftershave fan

If using skin bracer and AV is wrong, I don't want to be right. And while I understand those who don't like the veg, I personally love it, especially after decanting. It really opens up into a nice floral scent.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If using skin bracer and AV is wrong, I don't want to be right. And while I understand those who don't like the veg, I personally love it, especially after decanting. It really opens up into a nice floral scent.

Hear hear!
It's unfortunate that those who are NOT chosen feel they need to be so vocal in their condemnation of others. :lol:

Since this thread includes the word "shameless", has anyone ever spend 30 or more seconds to read the reverse side of a bottle of Listerene or it's many knockoff equivalents? It includes Alcohol, Eucalyptol, and Menthol. Key ingredients for an aftershave, no?

I use the original caramel colored non-sweetened variety for oral hygiene. Can't stand the disgusting saccharin sweetness of the other seemingly ever increasing varieties. I enjoy the scents, however.

Any thoughts if a guy was ever in pinch without AS? Just saying.....:biggrin:

I have used this before:

$269236 -1368-GREEN-RUBBING-ALCOHOL-12oz-.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Since this thread includes the word "shameless", has anyone ever spend 30 or more seconds to read the reverse side of a bottle of Listerene or it's many knockoff equivalents? It includes Alcohol, Eucalyptol, and Menthol. Key ingredients for an aftershave, no?

I use the original caramel colored non-sweetened variety for oral hygiene. Can't stand the disgusting saccharin sweetness of the other seemingly ever increasing varieties. I enjoy the scents, however.

Any thoughts if a guy was ever in pinch without AS? Just saying.....:biggrin:

Oddly enough, Listerine started off as an Aftershave.
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/use-listerine-after-shaving/

And Aqua Velva was once used as a mouthwash.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Velva

Saw some Stetson at Dollar General yesterday then went to Family Dollar and they had OS classic (one bottle) for $3 and some Nivea after shave balm for $3, picked those up along with a bottle of Vi-Jon Spice. My wife is about ready to terminate my existence since I went to DE shaving.

You're in the desert and fragrances burn off quickly. Tell her to be glad you're addicted to five and dime AS. the alternatives could be much worse. I was just browsing around the frag section looking through "affordable" threads. $50.00 for an ounce and a half of something I couldn't pronounce and it was a "deal".

WiskyT, seems like the OS lasts all day, have used Mont Blanc and Realm, they don't seem to last as long, trying to find an OS glass bottle to decant the new OS and maybe mix the Family Dollar Spice with it. Hate paying high prices and like looking around for a nice bargain. Bought a bottle of Pinaud Lilac Veg. smelled very bad threw it away, didn't have the smell I remember when I would get a haircut when I was a kid, wish I could find what the barbers used back in the 50's, when they put the stuff on you and you walked down the street everybody knew you had just gotten a haircut.

I like the entire range. I especially like Pinaud on the inexpensive end. I have lots in the middle like Layrite No. 9. Most of my top end are colognes instead of AS...but I like YSL L'Homme AS. Bought it in Amarillo, Texas after my old AS expressed itself right out of the bottle whilst in the airplane luggage compartment.

I have a sensitive nose and cannot wear most colognes. I am glad that I found Captain's Choice lime though.. very stubble scent that lasts and I don't wind up smelling like perfumer's alcohol at the end of the day. I have several dime store scents that were gifted to me over the years and I rarely ever use them. I think the oldest bottle is 10 years old. Old Spice (blue liquid kind), Anchor Blue, (Nameless one from Avon), Darknoir, and Stetsons... I mostly bring out my inner pyro by lighting puddles of stetsons on fire lol. I have hated Stetson since I was a kid.

I am a shameless dime store aftershave fan.
I have no problem admitting that.
While I appreciate top shelf frags, my "daily drivers" are all of the drug store variety;
The Veg, Aqua Velva, Clubman, Old Spice etc.

I saw a bottle of "Stetson" last week and decided to give it a run.
I bought a bottle and brought it home for testing. While the scent isn't all that great, it isn't bad either - so it passed the sniiff test. I put some on and noticed right off the bat that this is not your average splash.
No alcohol sensation whatsoever. On drydown, it also felt very "oily". One of the top ingredients is a healthy dose of castor oil.

While the alcohol shortcoming was easily overcome by the addition of some Everclear, I wasn't able to overcome my aversion to the oil. It was bad enough that my next shower resulted in a greasy slick feeling as I showered.

Stetson may be for you, but it's definitely not for me. It clearly is an aftershave balm masquerading as a splash.
If you are looking for a balm, but want to pretend you're using a splash, and don't mind a timid, banal scent, this is the stuff for you.

As for me, I'll keep on the lookout for the next great cheap splash.

Anyone else use this stuff and have an opinion?

Don't knock Clubman nor Old Spice. They might be available in the "dime store" but they are terrific A/S. Check out the response
from the members of B&B. Most of them seem to like both, especially Clubman. Remember, a higher price does not make the A/S
better, just more expensive.

Last edited:
I've been getting a kick out of trying various after shaves since getting into this DE shaving thing. I almost threw out my bottle of Skin Bracer but kept it and glad I did. I've used it a few times and find it to be a fine after shave, even though I'm having a grand time discovering things like Lucky Tiger and Captain's Choice.

Ba da bump.

I've been experimenting with some cheap AS splashes since the beginning of the year. I only dab since I am afraid of being THAT guy in the office. Baby steps here, not used to smelling.

Clubman - a little too flowery but I think it's growing on me. Scent can last until early afternoon.
Clubman VIBR - too heavy on the clove scent for me. recent purchase so maybe I will get used to it
AV Ice Blue - Me likey a lot. Unfortunately I forgot where I put the bottle.
AV Ice Sport - Not so hot as the Blue. To me it smelled a bit too much like "cheap aftershave". Scent does not linger.
Florida Water - Increasingly enjoying. Scent does not linger. Liked it enough to mix in with my witch hazel.
Stetson - only tried once so far and like it a lot. Like the good stuff in Clubman with an extra touch of testosterone.

I been using Barbarsol AS in my rotation of dailys for 2 years now. Stedson is my wifes favorite and if you get the Standard AS version it a ton better and the Cologne is long lasting I sprayed some on me on Sunday and when I did my laundry on Friday you can still smell Stedson.

Last night, alone in the house, I splashed on the Clubman. Wholeheartedly and with gusto.
After I got my breath back I decided to go back to dabbing.

Top Bottom