What's new

SEptember Rapid Fire Passaround

I keep the razor head real flat against my face and make sure to use no pressure. I also avoid going against the grain, instead doing extra with or across the grain touch up as needed. Don't push yourself. Just take it slow and you'll get the hang of it!

My first SE shave was an interesting experience :)

Overall, the shave was easy to do, and BBS. My neck has never gotten smooth enough with a DE that I couldn't feel stubble when running my hand against the grain with medium firmness (although it feels perfectly BBS when going XTG). With the SE, my neck was BBS in all directions.

The rest of my SE shave felt just as BBS as usual from a DE, but it's currently 13.5 hours after my shave, and my chin is 3-4 less "hours-worth" of stubbly than usual. So I guess the SE shave was closer :)

My first SE shave was a bit irritating to the skin along my jaw and neck even though I was careful to use no pressure. But it was also my first time using Cella and I'm not sure I got the water ratio perfect. I'll let my skin recover tomorrow and shave with my usual soap (VDH luxury) and the SE again Friday to see if things improve.

The SE gave tons of auditory feedback, and I could tell exactly when I had the angle right. Much, much easier than a DE in this respect. For me, the correct angle wasn't where the cap was flat along the face. It was where the back was off the face by 3-5 mm's.

The SE was a bit of a challenge compared to a DE to get the whiskers growing just below the corners of my nostrils because the extra length of the SE head (edge to spine) made it harder to get into and follow the small radius curve there when going XTG from nose toward ear.

With my DE's I usually just loosen the head so the blade is rattly, rinse the soap out under hot tap water, shake to "dry", and then hang in the razor stand. With the SE, I rinsed the blade and patted it dry and stored it outside the razor since it looked like there wasn't much airspace between the razor and head (which might cause the blade to rust). Was this necessary (or are the blades stainless) ?

2nd shave results:
I let my skin heal up 2 days so that it wasn't irritated at all.

Then I shaved with the VDH Luxury soap, which is the big white puck not the small pink puck. The package says it has 10% glycerin, and I believe it - the lather feels noticeable slicker than the cella.

I also concentrated on using no pressure, and found that I must have been using a "DE amount of pressure" on my first shave. On the first shave, I could feel the cap of the razor, but on the 2nd shave I couldn't. I also noticed that my skin didn't dent in where the razor was.

The net result was that I got a "zero irritation" shave with the SE. Unfortunately, the shave was also only as close as I usually get with a DE.

I did notice that the SE made it easier to shave my neck without any irritation, as compared to a DE. I believe this was because the cap doesn't stick up above the blade as far (i.e. The cap is flat instead of curved), which allowed me to angle the blade exactly as I needed to.

The increased auditory feedback wasn't as big a deal on the 2nd shave. It was still helpful, but I could tell what the right angle was by how the blade felt. Ie: did the blade tug at the whiskers slightly or not.

The SE blade does seem to get duller faster than the DE blades. But I suspect that is because it's carbon steel rather than stainless. Even though I patted the blade dry, and stored it outside the razor in a drawer - it still got tiny dots on its surface where it oxidized. It's definitely not rust, but it would be in a couple of more days.

I'll try a 3rd shave tomorrow to see what I learn. With my DEs, I start to get small patches of irritation on shave 3, and larger patches of irritation with some weepers on shave 4. I'd prefer a razor that just gave me a less-close shave without weepers when I lose count of how many shaves I have on a blade. Maybe the SEs different geometry will do that. We'll see :)

Third shave today. I discovered SE blades get duller much much faster than DE blades - probably because they carbon instead of stainless. No irritation or weepers though - just not much reduction in stubble...

The decreased ease of shaving in indented areas of my face and neck with a SE as compared to a DE (that I noted during my 1st shave) had largely disappeared by my 3rd shave. I bet after 5 shaves, I wouldn't think there was a difference at all.

I'll be shipping the razor out tomorrow. Blaidth - please PM me your shipping address :)

Last edited:
Were you able to complete the shave or was the blade too dull? I thought the blade was dull out of the gate and finished with the DE. Hope you enjoyed the experience.

If I weren't a noob I'd consider trying this, but after only a week and a half DE shaving I can't even do that properly yet, so I don't want to vary my equipment at this point. But it sounds like a good time!

For me - the blade was too dull to get a good shave, on shave 3.

Shave 1, the blade seemed sharp and have me a BBS shave.
For shave 2, the blade was noticeably duller, but I was able to get a DFS by using an extra pass.
For shave 3, I stopped after 2 WTG passes because the blade wasn't taking much off - and shaved with a DE.

For shave 1, the blade was feather sharp.
For shave 2, the blade was Dorco sharp.
For shave 3, it was Dorco after 4-5 shaves dull.

After every shave - I rinsed the blade in hot water, patted it dry, and stores it outside the razor in a low humidity drawer.

I did find the experience very interesting though. The SEs definitely shave different than the DEs. I find the angle of the handle much more intuitive, and like how the large amount of auditory feedback makes it easy to find the right angle.

It reminds me of using my straight in terms of angles and technique.
Ive heard people say very aggressive DEs are close to a straight - but I didn't think so. I bet if those people tried an SE, they would t think so either ;)

Thanks for the opportunity to try out the razor - it was a lot of fun :)
If you decide to sell it, let me know. It gave me less irritation on my neck than my DEs.

Hi,

I am going to be gone more than here for the foreseeable future. So, I am going to bow out at this point....

Stan

Hi,

I am going to be gone more than here for the foreseeable future. So, I am going to bow out at this point....

Stan

No worries Stan.

JohnG10, did you get the address and package off to Blaidth?

Last call if anyone else wants in. There are still several blades remaining!

Oh yes- I got it- sorry I lost the thread for a bit ^_^

First shave I nicked myself up.
Second shave same...

Third and fourth I did a little better but I think I may have broken the rules as I used a different blade..
Sorry that we are out of SEptember but I hope I can continue to try a few more shaves out of it.

I got a few different SE Blades that I would like to try.
I didn't see anyone on the list after me.. If I need to give it up I will but I would like to get down the technique if I could.

I love the Cella soap however i always break it. On my second and third pass it just fades away on me, even had trouble with the sample I had.
Haven't tried the other sample soap yet but will soon.
Been using my MDc sample and then today my GFT violet cream. Those gave me a decent shave. Especially with the Treet blade I used.

Oh yes- I got it- sorry I lost the thread for a bit ^_^

First shave I nicked myself up.
Second shave same...

Third and fourth I did a little better but I think I may have broken the rules as I used a different blade..
Sorry that we are out of SEptember but I hope I can continue to try a few more shaves out of it.

I got a few different SE Blades that I would like to try.
I didn't see anyone on the list after me.. If I need to give it up I will but I would like to get down the technique if I could.

I love the Cella soap however i always break it. On my second and third pass it just fades away on me, even had trouble with the sample I had.
Haven't tried the other sample soap yet but will soon.
Been using my MDc sample and then today my GFT violet cream. Those gave me a decent shave. Especially with the Treet blade I used.

No worries. Seeing as no one else has signed up yet, feel free to keep the razor a while longer. If you have your own blades continue to work on your technique. Let's give it another week and see if anyone else signs up.

Make sure you try the other soap, I think you'll like it. I've found that if you get it a little wetter it improves the slickness noticeably. I'm using it quite a bit lately, and am very happy with the performance.

Top Bottom