What's new

Semogue Caravela - LE to the Extreme

Love the handle, when looking at the Semogue range a few months ago on VintageScent this handle really caught my eye, but was discontinued.

Semogue 1550 - 9.95 Euros

proxy.php

I've got both the SOC two band and the Caravela. I've only put the Caravela to my face 3 or 4 times so far and obviously it's not yet fully broken in so that may skew my opinion somewhat, so bear that in mind. The knots on both brushes are very similarly sized and feel roughly the same size on the face, the SOC knot is much more densely packed though. I think the SOC brush has better backbone and the tips feel softer on the face, this may change as the boar bristles split in the Caravela. As for performance, the SOC is much better so far, it seems to generate lather quicker and maintain it better, whilst having great flow through. Handles - the SOC is taller and feels much better in the hand, it's much more ergonomic and lends itself to being held in a variety of different ways. I'm sure the Caravela will get better as the boar hairs break in, but I feel the SOC is a cut above it. The SOC two band is my favourite brush that I own/have tried (others include Chubby 1+2 in best; Duke 2 Best; Wee Scot; Semogue 2010 LE, 830 and custom boar; New Forest 2201, 2211...)

Hello, thanks! That is exactly what I needed to hear. I have a SOC 2 band and was curious as to how it would compare with the Caravela. Thanks for the feedback,

Received! Can't remember the number, but it was high (90's, maybe 94). Tracking never updated (but it's only purpose is the signature, as it's Registered mail).

I've owned Semogue brushes, in both badger and boar, and even in the grades that occupy this brush (Finest badger and Premium boar). But I have never, and I mean never smelled anything nearly as pungent as this brush when I opened the tube. Maybe it's the mid-90's temperature we're rockin' these days, but I thought there was actually a couple of carcasses in the box (one each badger and boar). I mean it, it was bad.

So far, I've soaked the brush in hot water, washed it out with dish soap, and loaded it up with MWF (which it made a MOUND of with very little effort). My first impressions are that it's a very different brush from the SOC two-band; more loft, but still rather dense. Think all-arounder more than face-latherer. Hope to shave with it tomorrow, but I'll need to plug my nose.

Received! Can't remember the number, but it was high (90's, maybe 94). Tracking never updated (but it's only purpose is the signature, as it's Registered mail).

I've owned Semogue brushes, in both badger and boar, and even in the grades that occupy this brush (Finest badger and Premium boar). But I have never, and I mean never smelled anything nearly as pungent as this brush when I opened the tube. Maybe it's the mid-90's temperature we're rockin' these days, but I thought there was actually a couple of carcasses in the box (one each badger and boar). I mean it, it was bad.

So far, I've soaked the brush in hot water, washed it out with dish soap, and loaded it up with MWF (which it made a MOUND of with very little effort). My first impressions are that it's a very different brush from the SOC two-band; more loft, but still rather dense. Think all-arounder more than face-latherer. Hope to shave with it tomorrow, but I'll need to plug my nose.

number 97 in here today, zero stink on mine in 56 degree san francisco, must be the heat josh. any way have not wet it yet but love the way the handle feels in hand, with nice heft to it. mine has tons of backbone dry so we will see.

Ian

Number 98 arrived here in Virginia today. Haven't had time to really do anything with it other than give it a quick once over. Definitely pleased with the quick shipping all the way from Portugal. I got a bottle of Floid too so am excited to try that out tomorrow.

Off to a good start. :lol:

Mine smelled a bit when it arrived, but after I used it a couple of times, including testing, the smell is completely gone. The brush is also softening up a bit.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Number 74 arrived today. I took some quick pre-bloom pictures, washed it with Dawn, and did some test lathering with some Mama Bears and MWF. The odor that it has is not bad and seemed more chemical then badger or boar funk.

$Caravela Brush.jpg

$Caravela 74.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine today as well, I forget what number I got, 73 I'm thinking..... Whew !! What a stink !! This is the stinkingest brush I've ever bought, I'm gonna give it a few washes with shampoo and conditioner before I use it again. But it killed the MWF !! I think I like it. The firmness is amazing, and I was also very surprised how soft it was. This is my first badger/boar mixture.

Very interesting brush. Still haven't shaved with it, but I have done about four test lathers in my palm. It plays well to my boar-enlightened lathering technique (which is to leave the brush wet, not dripping, but holding a lot of water, and then load up on the soap for maybe 10 seconds). MOUNDS of lather, every time. Things I'm watching for - boars generally give me a creamier lather with less fluff, whereas badgers tend to whip more air into the lather. I'm not talking monumental differences here, but certainly noticeable. This tends to lather, so far, well - somewhere in the middle. It seems a little less whipped than most other badgers I've used, and a little less creamy than the boars. Feels slick, cushiony, and protective.

The way the knot feels to my hand, again, takes points from both fields. Badger hair is more springy/bouncy, whereas boar hair is more, I don't know, "bendy". It seems to take a little longer to fall back into place, if it does at all. Well both of these are happening with the Caravela. I'm feeling like there are two distinct kinds of hairs occupying one space, and it's very intriguing. Can't wait to feel it on my face, and then again, what it'll be like in a couple weeks. Needless to say, I'm optimistic about the brush's prospects in general - I think it's a successful execution of the concept. I just wonder if it's for me, or if it exhibits benefits over its counterparts (being neither fully badger, and thusly less expensive, but yet more expensive than boar, and not being fully boar either).

I'm confused/excited/optimistic/rambling.

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Very interesting brush.......

.........I'm confused/excited/optimistic/rambling.

Interesting thoughts. I've never really cared much for my boar brushes, but my initial impressions of this hybrid brush strikes me as one I could really enjoy.

Oh, and you seem to be having an identity crisis..... At least you no longer think your Intrigued. :001_huh:

Good ramblings though josh, I finally gave mine it first bath and test lather and then the funk did indeed appear. though not so bad it is definitely the most funk i have ever experienced. I will cling to marcels statement it goes away quickly. I am really looking forward to trying it. post bath it has bloomed just right, and i feel like when i was lathering that the backbone was not too far short of my 620 with a plush set of tips. If this breaks in to the point where i think it is heading this could be one of the great ones. fingers crossed.

Ian

Good to hear they are arriving in the states. I'll hopefully get a notice in my mailbox this week so I can pick it up from the PO this Saturday.

Top Bottom