What's new

Semogue 610 vs. Semogue 620

After using my Semogue 830 and SOC boar brushes for the past few days I'm starting to think that I might like a 620 as well specifically for facelathering. The SOC for me just has too long of a handle to face lather with IMO. The 830 is a good facelatherer.... but I am curious about the shorter loft and stiffer hair (more backbone) that a 620 would offer.

Ben

After using my Semogue 830 and SOC boar brushes for the past few days I'm starting to think that I might like a 620 as well specifically for facelathering. The SOC for me just has too long of a handle to face lather with IMO. The 830 is a good facelatherer.... but I am curious about the shorter loft and stiffer hair (more backbone) that a 620 would offer.

Ben

Do it! The 620 is a bloody great face-latherer.

Do it! The 620 is a bloody great face-latherer.

It's cheap too..... which isn't helping. I'm actually scheming to get a Merkur 37c slant along with this brush to get to the free shipping mark on some of the vendor's sites.... just trying to justify all of this in my mind.... it may not take too long.

Ben

It's cheap too..... which isn't helping. I'm actually scheming to get a Merkur 37c slant along with this brush to get to the free shipping mark on some of the vendor's sites.... just trying to justify all of this in my mind.... it may not take too long.

Ben

What a great combo. I seriously wouldn't hesitate. You'll be quite pleased with both of those items I suspect...

Ben

Ben. I just ordered a 620 and an 830 from Italian Barber. They have a lower minimum order for free shipping. Just $60 instead of $80. FYI. I'll be curious to hear your feedback on the 620 and the slant.

Josh

Ben. I just ordered a 620 and an 830 from Italian Barber. They have a lower minimum order for free shipping. Just $60 instead of $80. FYI. I'll be curious to hear your feedback on the 620 and the slant.

Josh

Josh.... funny you mention IB. I just placed an order with them yesterday and about an hour after I placed the order the urge to get the 620 hit me. IB has very good prices on their Semogues so I checked into canceling my order and re-ordering with the 620.... but they have a fee canceling an order.... but then the urge to get the 37c slant hit me.... and IB does not have those in stock..... so I'm thinking about WCS right now because they sell the Merkur razor case as well at a good price and I'd like to have the case.... then, this morning I just got my X mas bonus and it's higher than I was anticipating..... oh, it's gonna happen now!!

Ben

There is Bullgoose too. He ships fast and should have everything. Not sure about the case though.

Well.... I placed my order w/ WCS. A 37c slant with matching case, 620 brush, and two tubes of Musgo Real cream (spiced citrus and oak moss). I haven't tried any of the new MR creams yet so I'm long overdue to try those. Just over $96 shipped.... I don't think I could've found much of a better deal anywhere else. FYI.... the 37c can be shipped for free on its own right now from WCS. I think maybe they offer that with many of their razors. So, if you're just looking for the 37c on its own with nothing else.... WCS is a good place to get it.

Ben

A wonderful review Soren. Many thanks for taking the time- I think that I am about to purchase my first Semogue. Liking the sound of the 620!

I'm starting to think it was just dumb luck that the 620 was the first boar brush I purchased. It is a great brush and it's good to see it getting so much love. Nice review!

I like my 620. It's my first boar and my first quality brush.

But damn I just want it to break in already!

How long have you been using it? I've had my SOC boar and 830 for 5 days now and a few of the tips are starting to split on the 830. They are definitely getting floppier too.... not too much though. I used the 830 tonight to face lather some EJ Aloe Vera soap (one of the great soap scents out there IMO.... but always a hard soap to lather for me) and I got a perfect lather and had a great shave. I got the 620 with the hope of getting the perfect face lathering brush for hard soaps. As my cream and soap collection gets more and more diverse I'm finding that my brushes are needing to be more and more specialized. Oh well, these Semogue boar brushes are inexpensive and sure are alot of fun to play around with.

Ben

I'm speechless. I placed my order with WCS last Friday afternoon and I just got it this morning. I'm in Ohio mind you. I don't know how they got it to me so fast over a weekend over such a great distance a week before Christmas. Needless to say..... excellent service..... as always from them. I can't thank you enough WCS!!

Now, I can't wait to start breaking in this 620 and using my new 37c slant for tonight's shave with a little Musgo Real Spiced Citrus shave cream.

Ben

I'm speechless. I placed my order with WCS last Friday afternoon and I just got it this morning. I'm in Ohio mind you. I don't know how they got it to me so fast over a weekend over such a great distance a week before Christmas. Needless to say..... excellent service..... as always from them. I can't thank you enough WCS!!

Now, I can't wait to start breaking in this 620 and using my new 37c slant for tonight's shave with a little Musgo Real Spiced Citrus shave cream.

Ben

Now that sounds like a great combo. Enjoy your shave!!

How long have you been using it? I've had my SOC boar and 830 for 5 days now and a few of the tips are starting to split on the 830. They are definitely getting floppier too.... not too much though. I used the 830 tonight to face lather some EJ Aloe Vera soap (one of the great soap scents out there IMO.... but always a hard soap to lather for me) and I got a perfect lather and had a great shave. I got the 620 with the hope of getting the perfect face lathering brush for hard soaps. As my cream and soap collection gets more and more diverse I'm finding that my brushes are needing to be more and more specialized. Oh well, these Semogue boar brushes are inexpensive and sure are alot of fun to play around with.

Ben
Ben, I'd say I've used it a solid 15 times. The hairs are starting to split, but many of them are still grouped together.

I've read that the 620 can take well over a month to break in so I'm staying patient.

Hope you enjoy it!

I was asked if I would compare the 610 with the 620 given the quite similar look, and of course I would love to as it tickles my curiosity as well :001_smile

The Semogue 610 and 620 looks similar but they have different hair grade. The 610 has Best 90% tops and the 620 has Extra 75% tops.
Apart from that the data is almost identical so if the brushes behave differently I think it would be a fair presumption that it is down to the difference in hair grade.
However, always take into consideration that even within the same hair grade you can find differences.

And here we go:

I soaked the brushes while showering and then lathered up with Truefitt & Hills Sandalwood Shaving Cream.

First pass: It was very hard to tell the two brushes apart from the feel, they felt equal in backbone and prickliness. However it was noticeable that the 610 splayed more, especially when using painting motions the fan it made was larger than that of the 620, but closing my eyes and concentrating on the feel alone, I couldn't detect a difference.

Second pass: For this pass I closed my eyes twirled the handles good while thinking of Monica Bellucci and Salma Hayek - almost got caught up in it :wink: - but one thing is sure I didn't knew which brush was in which hand when I returned to reality.
Lathering up using both circular and painting motions and trying to decide which brush I had in each hand.
I couldn't tell them apart based on firmness, so I took a decision based on the prickliness, assuming the 620 was more prickly but I was wrong, the one with the softest tips was the 620.

Third pass: Once again I did the closed eye test and this time I tried to really focus on my experience from the first two passes, and this time I could just detect a little more firmness from one of the brushes (left hand) whereas the other felt a little more prickly, so my guess was that I held the 620 in my left hand - and I was right.
However, I must say that I really had to concentrate and try to detect very minute differences. Had it been a normal paced shave I'm not sure I could have spotted the differences.

Fourth pass: This was just pure enjoyment of having the ability to lather up with two lovely brushes :biggrin1:

Data:
Hair typeBoar, Best 90% topsBoar, Extra 75% tops
HandleAcrylic, red/clearAcrylic, black/clear
Weight [gram]62.460.0
Knot diameter [mm]21.021.8
Loft [mm]50.050.2
Total height [mm]95.896.8

proxy.php

I thought the handles were identical, but a close inspection showed that although it is not by much, they are in fact different.

Top diameter [mm]37.936.7
Bottom diameter [mm]33.030.9
Handle height [mm]45.746.6

I don't know how well the photos are showing this, but I have tried to capture the differences - for example the 610 has "wider corners" than the 620

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Result
Taking a look at the two brushes and I would say; "They are identical apart from the handle colour and dyed hair, so they should perform identical."
Taking a look at the data of the two brushes reveals a difference in hair grade but otherwise identical numbers, so I would say; "This could show a difference in performance."

Now, I have to be honest and say that I thought the 610 had a higher loft than the 620 before I commenced the test, I didn't think they were that equal.
After the test I would say that they do perform almost identical - in this test. The 610 has a little more splay and feels a little more prickly.
In reflection I should have used a hard soap for the test, as this might have shown some difference in loading and lathering, but there you go :001_smile

This test, as all my brush tests, have been done by bowl lathering as this is the only way I can be sure I am using the same lather for both brushes.
I have of course also used both brushes for face lathering and I must say that if I am comparing the two brushes in this area, the 620 is the winner.
The performance when face lathering is just better of the 620 than the 610. It is loading more willingly, it lathers up faster and it holds more lather.

I prefer bowl lathering, but I must say that the 620 has made me do some more face lathering lately as it is just perfect - I even think it does a better job at this than the Semogue 2011 LE Finest bristle 1 and Semogue Caravela.
Great review, very professional and detailed...well im of to buy one on BST.

I recently got a 610. I liked the look better (no fake badger stripe). I've never had a boar brush before, and was very surprised at how soft the tips were.

Ben, I'd say I've used it a solid 15 times. The hairs are starting to split, but many of them are still grouped together.

I've read that the 620 can take well over a month to break in so I'm staying patient.

Hope you enjoy it!

2 months in and my 620, though splitting nicely, is not yet broken in. Patience is my copilot here...

Top Bottom