What's new

Self Checkout Fails and Then?…

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The Meijer stores have an app. that you can download on your phone.

It's bad enough that we have all been convinced to carry tracking devices with live microphones all the time. Voluntarily giving various large corporations access to those devices to gather and sell our personal information, IMHO, is a bridge too far. YMMV.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The Meijer stores have an app. that you can download on your phone. You can then use your own phone as a scanner. It's called "Shop & Scan" and I use it almost every time I shop there. I can scan and bag my stuff as I shop, including produce (the scales in the produce dept. display the bar code that you can scan or print out a bar code label). The app. displays a running total and lets me know if there's an electronic coupon available to "clip" for items as they're scanned. When I'm done shopping, I go to the self checkout, scan the Qcode on the register and it downloads the items in my cart to that register, applies the coupons, I pay for my items, and I'm done. It does frequently wait to download the cart until the self checkout clerk has done a random audit of a few items from your cart, but it's still way faster and easier when I'm buying a lot of items and it allows me to price check as I shop.

Just a few weeks back a large supermarket has pulled their scan and go system down.
It was a basic handheld scanner they were using but the same principle. Their reason was the amount of people ripping the system off with not scanning. Workers called it scam and go.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The Meijer stores have an app. that you can download on your phone. You can then use your own phone as a scanner. It's called "Shop & Scan" and I use it almost every time I shop there. I can scan and bag my stuff as I shop, including produce (the scales in the produce dept. display the bar code that you can scan or print out a bar code label). The app. displays a running total and lets me know if there's an electronic coupon available to "clip" for items as they're scanned. When I'm done shopping, I go to the self checkout, scan the Qcode on the register and it downloads the items in my cart to that register, applies the coupons, I pay for my items, and I'm done. It does frequently wait to download the cart until the self checkout clerk has done a random audit of a few items from your cart, but it's still way faster and easier when I'm buying a lot of items and it allows me to price check as I shop.
This is something I could actually get onboard with as it doesn’t hit you with surprises at the end. If there are any pricing issues you will know right away during the selection process rather than a half hour later after you’ve added another 30 or 40 items.

I often wait in line to have a person handle the check out if I am not in a hurry. Those people need the work and if they have lots of people using them then, perhaps, the store will hire more people who need work. Not everyone has the time to wait, but if there are lines for people to do the check out and the expensive self-checkout machines sit idle or are used to assist theft, the stores might get the message

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
This is something I could actually get onboard with as it doesn’t hit you with surprises at the end. If there are any pricing issues you will know right away during the selection process rather than a half hour later after you’ve added another 30 or 40 items.
That is another thing I like about it. If something isn't scanning for the correct price I take a picture of the shelve label and show it to them at checkout.

It's bad enough that we have all been convinced to carry tracking devices with live microphones all the time. Voluntarily giving various large corporations access to those devices to gather and sell our personal information, IMHO, is a bridge too far. YMMV.

I haven't noticed them selling it, but they do track what I buy and send me e-coupons for things they know I buy. Being a retailer, probably doesn't give them a lot incentive to sell my info to their competition. :lol:
I see a lot more of that just from looking at something in google and then watching all the ads that show up in my social media within minutes. :blink:

Top Bottom