What's new

Selecting a watch band tool help requested

Hi all, asking for recommendations on watch band tools. Ideally would like to adjust the links on my Omega bands without bugging the jeweler every couple of months. Want something that fits correctly so things don't get buggered up.

Hi all, asking for recommendations on watch band tools. Ideally would like to adjust the links on my Omega bands without bugging the jeweler every couple of months. Want something that fits correctly so things don't get buggered up.
You need to remove/add individual links or want to micro adjust for summer/winter wear?

I do most of the stuff with a tiny flathead that also fits the screws used in glasses. Other than that even the cheapest watch combo tool (fork/pin) will work for the micro adjustments of the clasp.

0A06ED3D-DBF5-4C72-ADC7-155C88513C5E.jpeg

Last edited:
You need to remove/add individual links or want to micro adjust for summer/winter wear?

I do most of the stuff with a tiny flathead that also fits the screws used in glasses. Other than that even the cheapest watch combo tool (fork/pin) will work for the micro adjustments of the clasp.

View attachment 1759802

Good to know.

Do you think an eye glasses screw driver would work?

I would not attempt to add or remove links from an Omega watch bracelet.

Most steel bracelets have pins that are press fit into the links and can be removed with a bracelet pin tool or a hammer, punch, and block (used to hold the bracelet).

Omega bracelets are more complex, and are secured by pins and sleeves...not really a job for this watch fan (me).

My Speedmaster is the only watch I take to a (authorized Omega) dealer to have the bracelet sized. I consider it part of the cost if owning the watch, along with $600-800 cleaning/servicing every five years or so.

If you are just moving the spring bar on the clasp, a paper clip will work.

Concur w GP JOE. You are stepping over dollars to pick up pennies re a doing an Omega bracelet at home.

For general strap swaps on watches with drilled cases and for micro adjustments on a spring loaded pin, the gold standard is Bergeon. As it is less than 25USD to have/use was is considered the best of something, I would buy such a tool for its intended use(s) and drive on.

To repeat, it you need links added/removed, take it to the jeweler. If they break/scratch/lose something you have recourse that far outweighs the cost/hassle factor. IMHO/YMMV

Concur w GP JOE. You are stepping over dollars to pick up pennies re a doing an Omega bracelet at home.

For general strap swaps on watches with drilled cases and for micro adjustments on a spring loaded pin, the gold standard is Bergeon. As it is less than 25USD to have/use was is considered the best of something, I would buy such a tool for its intended use(s) and drive on.

To repeat, it you need links added/removed, take it to the jeweler. If they break/scratch/lose something you have recourse that far outweighs the cost/hassle factor. IMHO/YMMV

That's the tool I have...I was just too lazy to post a link...so thank you. 🙂

And to be perfectly clear: I've used a punch and small hammer to remove pins and links, just not on my Omega.

Reactions: ctr

Last year I ordered a new strap for my DeVille and they sent it with the Omega spring bar tool. After having use it, that is what I would recommend for an Omega watch.

Thanks for the responses. Was trying to save time, mine and theirs. Jeweler swaps the links at no charge. Guess I will continue to have them make the changes.

Definitely second Bergeon if you're looking for watch tools. The cheap pin tools will bend and frustrate, better to buy a good one that's made well.

How old is your Omega? Most highend watches have now screws to hold the links. The pins/pin sleeve construction is for budget bracelets (Orient/low mid Seiko etc.) Pin removers do work well but they are more fiddly than just changing a screw.

How old is your Omega? Most highend watches have now screws to hold the links. The pins/pin sleeve construction is for budget bracelets (Orient/low mid Seiko etc.) Pin removers do work well but they are more fiddly than just changing a screw.

The adjustment links use screws and pins.

Quick Update

The jeweler removed 2 half links and added a whole link. Didn't catch it at the time.

Found the exact flathead size for changing Omega links. The tool arrived this evening. Took my time and adjusted links on a couple of my Omega watches. Used a spare pin to push out pins which worked well. Great care was taken to ensure the head was correctly positioned in the slot and fully seated. Back threaded until positioned and slowly tightened. Took my time. Hardest part was positioning the tiny screws.

No scratches, buggered screw heads or accidents. Well pleased.

While changing links is ok I would pass on changing bands. Will keep that as a jeweler task.

I’ve acquired *basic* watch tools over the years (small screwdriver set), watch tool for pushing out pins (forget its name). Much of the above advice is solid. Good luck.

Top Bottom