What's new

SEDEF shavette + AC blades ?

I see this was also being discussed a little in the thread:
Unlike @Timor1322 I have never held or used this razor. Since an Artist Club blade is shorter than half a DE, it would not work out of the box. But it is only a little shorter, so I think one could possibly make a shim that would work. A paper clip or anything thin and stiff enough to be inserted into the slot behind the blade to function as a backstop might work. Could experiment with different blade exposures to see what is preferred. The simplicity of this razor's design might allow for some experimentation.

anything thin and stiff enough to be inserted into the slot behind the blade to function as a backstop might work. Could experiment with different blade exposures to see what is preferred. The simplicity of this razor's design might allow for some experimentation.
@StillShaving I agree with you something that you can use as a "backstop" may allow to use AC blade is a Turkish style shavette.
For this purpose I guess an old AC blade which is cutted from the long side may work.
Since the thickness of an old AC blade which will be used as a backstop will be the same with the new one on the top, it seems like solution.
But it must be experimented.
This experiment will cause larger blade insert on the shavette an as a result DE blades will be no longer usuable in this experimental shavette.

@StillShaving I agree with you something that you can use as a "backstop" may allow to use AC blade is a Turkish style shavette.
For this purpose I guess an old AC blade which is cutted from the long side may work.
Since the thickness of an old AC blade which will be used as a backstop will be the same with the new one on the top, it seems like solution.
But it must be experimented.
This experiment will cause larger blade insert on the shavette an as a result DE blades will be no longer usuable in this experimental shavette.
I agree that idea sounds a lot better than trying to flatten a paper clip. When I was shaving this morning with my DE shavette this topic came to mind and I was thinking that perhaps a DE blade could act as a shim. Since those are easy to cut down to size with a pair of scissors. But some experimentation would be needed to see what works since the DE blade is thinner. A slice off an AC blade would seem ideal.

An old thread but I figure it is still worth mentioning to readers that I have no problem running injector blades with a shim, and returning the same razor to halved DE blades. The thickness really isn’t much difference for the level of spring-back in the blade holder.
However you do need to make a shim from an old blade. Always wear eye protection if grinding or snipping a shim. Metal is bad enough, but a blades edge would be really bad! I use a vise and expose the part I want to grind off (some thicker blades have a temper that is not snip or file friendly and cracks). While I have no problem going back to DE in the same razor, I would still suggest to simply leave the shim in place and dedicate that razor to the blade type.. unless you want to dig in there with another blade to remove and then possibly lose the shim. They’re cheap enough.
The larger 2 1/2” Personna hair shaper blades with an aluminum spine also work great in a sedef. Simply de-spine the same way one would a gem single edge. but be aware that one corner of the blade will poke beyond the scales when closed. *This blade and razor combo I would highly suggest to someone on the fence between SR and shavette* The longer and stiffer blade really does handle extremely close to an actual SR. The bonus is they usually come in pairs or six packs, so you can have the two side by side for less than a SR. The unfamiliar may not realize that they do handle and shave noticably different. There is also no upkeep or strop methods for one to learn, also lowering entry cost. Which is a plus for most, if they simply want to know if a longer cutting surface is for them or not.

I use this type of Shavette with an A77 blade (half blade). A bit difficult to insert it but it stays firm. I haven't tried with a Ac blade but it should work. I will try with an Ac blade as both of my razors have an A77 format blade.
The A77 blade is similar to the dive of Dovo long blades and it is thinner than the Ac blade.

The shave is very nice by the way.

PXL_20240321_063742578.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Screenshot_20240401-203722.png

Top Bottom