What's new

SE wedge razor users say hello

Wow! Billy love your collection and write-ups of the shaves and characteristics of edge razor and the wedge blades.

There are some beautiful razors here. I am going to have so many wet shaving razor/brush/soap rabbit holes my shave den will look like a prarie dog colony.

BHV anyone?

Bazar de l'Hôtel de Ville, that is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazar_de_l'Hôtel_de_Ville
http://www.bhv.fr

proxy.php

proxy.php

Comfort Lather Catcher..
proxy.php
:001_rolle
proxy.php

Another shot..
proxy.php
:001_rolle
proxy.php

Three Shaving Pass Routine..:biggrin1:
proxy.php

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
Comfort Lather Catcher
NOS Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade x 5
Semogue Boar Brush
Tallow Test Soap Sample
444 Post Shave Gel
LOGONA Mann Aftershave Splash (From Germany)

I had an outing with my Comfort Lather Cather the other day & Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade...The Comfort Lather Catcher is quite an Aggressive SE & the shaving angle was a wee bit harder to get a grip with but this razor is the epitome of flat against the face...My blade was very sharp today & this combo offered me an almost all over BBS result with a DFS in places..
proxy.php
:w00t:

The secret to stropping is all about the correct pressure...Too much pressure will blunt the blade & not enough will not give a sharp edge...That's just a learning curve through trial and error... I have been spoiled with the C. V. Heljestrand on my previous shave..The C. V. Heljestrand is in a class of its own...It is the Rolls Royce of Lather Catchers...
proxy.php
:blink:

I would go as far as suggesting that the C. V. Heljestrand was and is the Absolute Pinnacle of this Shaving System...This thing is Aircraft Engineering standard and whilst the Comfort is a Lovely Shaver it isn't a precision made Shaving Instrument like the The C. V. Heljestrand ....That said the Comfort is a lovely shaver & during its day must have been one of the most comfortable shavers around as its name suggests...I enjoyed my shave this morning...Good Karma.:biggrin1:

The C. V. Heljestrand is holding the Crown..
proxy.php
:001_cool:

Billy

Ever Ready 1914 handle?

I had a Comfort - seriously aggressive, if not surgical with a GEM blade. Lovely looker.

I think I'd agree about the Heljestrand, although there is one which I'd say pips the one we all think of and that's a Simplex. Rarer than unicorn horns, it's a superb slab of Deco. Pure gorgeous!

Picture nicked from my pal Robin:

proxy.php

... others (from TOST):

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Plenty more where they came from ... :thumbup:

Loved seeing the pics of the Simplex - I found your friend's thread on them on another forum. I hadn't heard of them before. Makes me think I should have a conversation with an old work friend who lives in Sweden... :thumbup1:

How is the shave with the Le Coq (or any of the others for that matter?)

Ever Ready 1914 handle?

I had a Comfort - seriously aggressive, if not surgical with a GEM blade. Lovely looker.

I think I'd agree about the Heljestrand, although there is one which I'd say pips the one we all think of and that's a Simplex. Rarer than unicorn horns, it's a superb slab of Deco. Pure gorgeous!

Picture nicked from my pal Robin:

proxy.php

... others (from TOST):

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ever Ready 1914 handle it is Paul...My good to Go Handle for most of my Gem Lather Catchers ..:thumbup1:

Billy

Fantastic pictures. I'm on the road right now. I'll try to photograph the individual razors in my stash, along with my experiences with them. Thanks for your input. I hope that this thread stays alive and on the first page.

French L"Essor..
proxy.php

proxy.php

Another shot..
proxy.php

proxy.php

Four Shaving Pass Routine..
proxy.php

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
French L"Essor
NOS Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade x 6
Semogue Boar Brush
Biotique Palmyra Shaving Cream
444 Aftershave Gel
LOGONA Mann Aftershave Splash

I had my second outing with the French L"Essor & Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade this morning...I have managed to figure the French L"Essor ...The French L"Essor is a Milld Razor...A lot of folks are familiar with the Gem Micromatic Family..I would put the French L"Essor in the Gem Bullet Tip Category in terms of aggression..I am just using this as a Analogy of course because the French L"Essor sure aint no Gem Bullet Tip but in terms of the Wedge blade SEs that I have been using recently that's where it would sit...
proxy.php

In other words it is by far the Mildest of the bunch...You can almost throw the French L"Essor about with Reckless Abandon...I done a Four pass shaving routine this morning & just about achieved a BBS Result...The French L"Essor would make a great daily ATG shaver & I reckon that's what the designers had in mind...Bearing in mind that during the Epoch of the French L"Essor a lot of owners would have a Butler to Hone & Sharpen their blades for them..The French L"Essor would have made a great razor to go ATG on the first pass on a Daily basis...It does take a bit of work to knock down a few days whiskers with it though...That just about Sums Up the French L"Essor...A very mild and forgiving shaver it is...
proxy.php

Billy..
proxy.php

Just some thoughts on blade sharpness...I have heard it said that some folks test the shave readiness of a stropped blade by cutting a single hair with it...Whilst this may show that the blade is sharp it doesn't necessarily mean that it will shave smoothly...The blade has to be both Sharp & Smooth...:w00t:

I can always tell how sharp my blade is with the first touch on my top lip area...If the blade is cutting comfortable on the Moustache area I find that's a good test..I now know, however, just by looking at the edge of the blade after stropping it just how sharp & how smooth it will perform...Once you experience a correctly sharpened blade you will never forget the sight of a correctly stropped edge...Its just an experiential knowing...:thumbup1:
proxy.php

Billy

The French Tip Top razor.

View attachment 625618

Waits has no date for this razor.

$DSCF7990.jpg

The blade loads from the side,and the clip has a real firm grip.

$DSCF7992.jpg

The brass knob you saw in the second picture adjusts the blade up and down, from a mild shave to a really aggressive one.

$DSCF7995.jpg $DSCF7997.jpg

Notice how there is no blade stop on the comb. As far as I can tell.this was common on the early hoe type razors.

This razor use to be plated, since there is some silver or nickel under the adjustment knob and behind the comb. Since the blade is adjusted by a single screw and spring mechanism, you have to straighten the blade before use. The razor handles really well and gives a nice, but aggressive shave,with the blade lowered. Henckel's and Heljestrand blades fit no problem.

Attachments

• $DSCF7999.JPG
    $DSCF7999.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 142
gonna subscribe to this one - so many beautiful razors. Thank you for the pictures and for the new search terms that I can pump into ebay....:w00t:

Lovely thread. Got some of those.
proxy.php

Selbstrasirer Rose - Comfort - non-proprietary Mulcuto - Heljestrand - Wilkinson 7-day set
Kampfe Star HR14-A (french tin) - Kampfe Star HR14-B (french tin) - proprietary Mulcuto (Rotbart box) - Mardor - Wilkinson Empire
Rolls Imperail 2 - Rolls Viscount - Darwin DeLuxe - Fox Safety Razor - Le Touring
Panter - unknown - Louis - Louis - Aiglon
Rapide - Le Coq - L'Essor - Leresche "Le Français" - Tip Top

Next up in my collection is the L'Essor

$DSCF8009.jpg

It has a thin handle, and the screw knob at the bottom of the handle which opens up the clip that holds the blade in place.$DSCF8013.jpg$DSCF8012.jpg$DSCF8002.jpg

Side clips and blade stop holds this Henckel's blade perfectly.

$DSCF8004.jpg

Easy to handle, and a nice close shave. I haven't found a manufacturer date, not that it matters.

Top Bottom