What's new

Scotch

I need to know of a good brand of scotch. I have never been a scotch drinker but I have always wanted to try it. What is a good yet not overly expensive bottle?

Define "not overly expensive." Do you want to stay under $50? Under $80? Under $30 (challenging...but not COMPLTELY impossible).

What other things do you like to drink? Can you give a GUESS as to the flavor profile you tend to enjoy? Sweet/smokey, etc?

Well, I would recommend Glenlivet 12 as a great place to start. If you don't want to invest in a whole bottle, you can try minis (50 ml), if available locally or a restaurant/bar.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you are interested in single malt scotch, a good starting point (and one of the best single malt values out there) is Glenlivet. Heck, even if you aren't specifically interested in single malts, I'd say Glenlivet.

(Right! Lock the thread, he has the perfect answer.) :biggrin:

See I don't know the US prices but my 2 favourites are lagavulin 16yr and highland park 12 or 18... Ok thats 3 but nevermind.

I'll watch this but sorry I can't be more help.

Scotch is a real hard one. It is very easy to buy something expensive that disgusts you. My recommendation would be to go to a nice finer bar (on a slow night) and make friends with the bartender, taste, smell then you can decide on a bottle.

P.S.
Don't rule out blends.

I've never liked Glenlivet, and I've even had the very expensive ones, e.g. 21 year. I know it's banned around here, but .... YMMV.

For about $20, Speyburn is a very acceptable single malt ... 10 year, IIRC.

At the $50 price point, Glen Rothes (it may be over $50 now) is simply wonderful. You can also get Islay malts for < $50, but be prepared for the peat and iodine parade!

For a cheap but (to me) serviceable blend, Grant's is what I'm drinking now.

Slainte!

For single malt, I'd recommend Glenmorangie. It's pretty good and not too in-your-face, which I've found with Glenlivet and Lafroaig. But my mileage obviously varies from others on this thread :lol:

For a blend, I'd go for the Johnnie Walker series. Red is good and not too badly priced. In the 30s (USD) I think. Black is a little more like around 45, but a little better. I haven't tried anything higher than Black.

+1 to Mr. Burmashave for his suggestion to befriend a barkeep! Better to pay five or six bucks each for a couple different kinds and find one you really enjoy than to spend fifty on a bottle you end up hating. You might even convince a barkeep to set up a sampler for you to try smaller portions for less $$$.

+1 on Laphroaig, but it can be a bit aggressive for a newbie. But hey, you never know!

+1 to Mr. Burmashave for his suggestion to befriend a barkeep! Better to pay five or six bucks each for a couple different kinds and find one you really enjoy than to spend fifty on a bottle you end up hating. You might even convince a barkeep to set up a sampler for you to try smaller portions for less $$$.

Agreed ... this is how I learned to love Glen Rothes! I had been eyeing it on the shelves (the bottle is beautiful!) but at $45+, was afraid to take the plunge. A tipple was $7 at the bar, and it was a very good investment. I haven't had it for awhile, but IIRC it is a fairly sweet malt. And the colour is gorgeous.

The trick is to find a watering hole (or a few!) with a good selection.

Scotch is a real hard one. It is very easy to buy something expensive that disgusts you. My recommendation would be to go to a nice finer bar (on a slow night) and make friends with the bartender, taste, smell then you can decide on a bottle.

P.S.
Don't rule out blends.

What a good idea!

For a low cost, easy drinking blend, try Stewarts Cream of the Barley. It's what I'm sipping right now. Try it straight from the freezer with one large ice cube.

I don't like Glenlivit. Best you decide whether or not you are going to like whisky before spending large amounts of money. It's a little like D/E shaving....stick with it and you'll wonder how you managed before.

Enjoy.

For right around $50 bones, you can find the Glenmorangie Port Wood finished (12 year). If you like this, there are some very fine older (and more expensive) port woods out there. The Balvenie comes to mind...21 years, and yummy.
The Glenmorangie is suprisingly complex, and can be both an easy-drinking on the rocks sort of scotch, or a take it neat (or with 1/2 ounce of crisp, filtered water) and really get into the flavors, the nose, etc. I have served it along with rare pricey stuff to the guys who use phrases like "Ah, I am picking up some wet yearling sheep, mmmm...some ripe key lime, and yes, yes, a bit of, dare I say, pickled herring" in describing the incredibly nuanced and accurate state of their own abilities to find scents in a whisky.

If you do NOT like it, don't get discouraged, as there really is quite a broad range of flavors and styles. Getting yourself to a nice whisky bar and sampling is a GREAT idea.

Or, if you are ever in CT, drop me a PM, and I'll pour enough "tastes" that it likely won't be safe to drive home.

Balvenie Doublewood. Forget Glenlivet.

More sweet than smokey, because of the sherrywood casking, and like most Speysides, very, very, VERY smooth and drinkable---neat, rocks, Scotch 'n soda, all delicious.

It's about $50, but one of my favorite Scotches, and the one I always recommend to first timers.

Slightly smokier, and only $35, the Dalmore Cigar Malt is another smooth, highly drinkable single malt. Regular lines of Dalmore and the Dalmore 21 are also very good.

Vatted malts, I only drink Johnny Walker Black and Gold labels regularly. The Blue is smooth, but overpriced and IMHO the Gold is tastier. Black Label is my go-to bar shelf Scotch, and probably the best blended Scotch out there.

Those NON-beginners wishing to experience all the oily, peat smoked, iodine & seaweed, medicinal grandeur that is the Islay malts, I can't recommend Laphroiag Quarter Cask highly enough. Worth the extra $15.

NANP™

Grants Family Reserve won't scare You away:w00t:

Before long You'll be drinking Octomore for breakfast :tongue_sm:tongue_sm

All the BEST!
:smile:M

The Macallan!

For right around $50 bones, you can find the Glenmorangie Port Wood finished (12 year).

Balvenie Doublewood.

The Macallan, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (Port) and Lasanta (Sherry) and Balvenie Doublewood are all good if you have a sweet tooth. Aberlour and Glenfarclas have some nice offerings as well.

You just have to try different styles and when you tell us what you like/dislike, we can all help recommend others.

Top Bottom