What's new

Scotch: Suggest my next one :

I am mobile, excuse the brief thread.

I have tried the following scotches now:

Johnnie Walker Red and Black; enjoyed black more.

Speyburn 10, not a fan, great for money
The Speyside 12; yuck
Glenlivet 12, 15; the 15 was great! 12 not bad
Dewars, not a fan
Glenlivet Nadurra, this packed a punch, great, but the alcohol drowned the flavors?

Oban 10, need to have this one again, I was not under right mind frame, and it was my first
Macallan 12, wonderful

My latest, Most prized; Balvenie Double wood 12, loving this!

My next will be either Glenmorangie* or Highland park 12

Anyone like to add/comment?
Thank you!

Glenmorangie is my personal favorite. It is rather mild with a light sweetness.

Based on your list above, you might also give Glenfiddich a try.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My next will be either Glenmorangie* or Highland park 12

Sounds good. I'd go with the HP 12 personally, but get both soon enough.

If you liked the JW Black, try Talisker 10 as well ... JW owns Talisker, and they use a bit to make the Black blend ... Talisker will be like JW Black on steroids.

You said that you were mobile- if you were out shopping for scotch, then I am too late. I would recommend the HP12 as a well-rounded and very tasty whisky and I would also suggest Dalwhinnie for your list.

Given a choice between Glenmo and HP12, I'd choose HP12. I have had an older version of the Glenmo 10 year old as well as the new formulation simply called Glenmo Original. The newer formulation has a thinner, more watery mouthfeel even though in the US it is sold at 43%. Maybe in its own way the Glenmo Original is good but compared to the older 10 year old, it falls flat in my book.

If you like JW Black, you may also want to try Talisker 10 which is a good segway into more peaty and smoky things like Laphroaig and Ardbeg but its not quite as powerful as those.

Also, if you can find it, JW Double Black is less expensive and less smoky/peaty than the aforementioned single malts but still more smoky and peaty than regular JW Black.

There is nothing wrong and a lot right with JW Black in my book, I still find myself going back to that again and again even though I have more pricy things in the cabinet.

Edit: oops see you are in VA like me, probably won't find JW Double Black at the ABC, but you can find it in DC or Maryland if you ever up this way.

Got to agree with the highland park votes...if you really want a treat the HP 18year is amazing (but about 100 bones). Doublewood as darn hard to beat for the money, and Aberlour may be the best bargain at under $40.

I like both your options..HP 12 and Glenmorangie 10 are great whiskies
also can I recommend JW "Double Black" if you can find it where you are...(oops missed that this was already rec'd above..+1 on finding it!)

for other singles: Glenrothes, Bruchlaidach 10yo and Deanston unfiltered, and Clynelish and Glenfarclas 10 or 12 are all worth a go...based on what you seem to like

with the cask strentght stuff like N'Adurra you have to soften it with water, it is a great malt if you do that...

also any whisky takes a bit of water well, try first without, then add a small amt and adjust to your taste, it really brings out another layer in your taste, it does not dull the whisky if you add the right amount
just my humble opinion

If you liked the Macallan try to find Gordon & MacPhail's Macallan Speymalt. It's Macallan spirit aged by G&M. There's usually an 8 or 10 year available, can't remember which. Echo the Bruichladdich recommendation. Classic or the Organic.

Get the Highland Park. In my opinion, it's a level above any of the whisky you've mentioned in your post, and at it's price (Can get it as cheap as £27 in the UK, not sure about US), it's probably the best widely available whisky out there.

If you found the alcohol burn in your Nadurra overbearing, don't be afraid to add a fair whack of water. It varies from whisky to whisky, but water tends to open them up substantially.

Seeing as you liked the Macallan, I'd really suggest getting some Aberlour A'Bunadh if you can. It's cask strength (so definitely needs watering down), non chill-filtered, no added colourings, and is an absolute steal at £35 (again, not sure what it is in the US). IMO, it's the best value of any single malt going if you're a fan of sherry cask matured whisky.

Aberlour A'Bunadh is a great recommendation. Like almost getting two bottles for the price of one. It does vary with batches but that is one of it's charms.

Bowmore is a pleasant islay, very subtle peat smoke, not overpowering
Every scotch drinker must try laphroiag at least once.
Glenmorangie is wonderful!
Also try out Auchentoshan 12 yo, its a nice nutty taste.

Top Bottom