What's new

Sandrin - Tungsten Carbide @71 HRC?

Not that I need another knife :001_rolle but as I was looking for a Titanium watch I thought about a superlight summer carry with a twist.

Anybody heard from them or has experiences with their products?

Blade is 1.3mm thin, has a hardness of 71 HRC yet should not shatter like a crystal, completely rustproof and possibly only resharpable with Kryptonite ;)

Not that I need another knife :001_rolle but as I was looking for a Titanium watch I thought about a superlight summer carry with a twist.

Anybody heard from them or has experiences with their products?

Blade is 1.3mm thin, has a hardness of 71 HRC yet should not shatter like a crystal, completely rustproof and possibly only resharpable with Kryptonite ;)

I can see why you want to hear from someone with experience with the knife. The site is a bit, um, zesty.

They say it is best sharpened with diamond grinding wheels, and is best sharpened by professionals. Then they say you can sharpen it at home on diamond. The whole site is like that, sort of weirdly upbeat and hard to pin down. Doesn't mean it's a bad knife, but one could wish for a different mix of exuberant marketing talk and engineering talk.

And if it chips, well, they offer a blade replacement service. Didn't see anything that said that would be warranty work. Nor anything that said you could hope to grind out chips yourself.

I can see why you want to hear from someone with experience with the knife. The site is a bit, um, zesty.

They say it is best sharpened with diamond grinding wheels, and is best sharpened by professionals. Then they say you can sharpen it at home on diamond. The whole site is like that, sort of weirdly upbeat and hard to pin down. Doesn't mean it's a bad knife, but one could wish for a different mix of exuberant marketing talk and engineering talk.

And if it chips, well, they offer a blade replacement service. Didn't see anything that said that would be warranty work. Nor anything that said you could hope to grind out chips yourself.
I had the chance to handle a few Rockstead knives which are in the high 60s. Still they have thicker stock are made from steel so there is a way sharpen them. My foray into ceramic (kitchen) knives was a big mistake that I don’t want to make again.

I won’t rush it and will dig a bit more around.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Agree, the ceramic peelers are da bomb. The blades don’t rust from acidic or other corrosive foods, or moisture, which can be difficult to remove well from a peeler. Plastic handles, ceramic blades work for me.

Let us know how in works out. But you have to carry it every day for a long while. Cant measure edge retention if it is in a rotation of 435 knives. Then I need a sharpening report.
I'll try to have it as my preferred summer knife but tbh I'm not sure I would be able to sharpen it with the limited stones (no diamonds in any form) that I have available right now.

I could also use it to break up cardboard boxes instead of my usual Moras/Hultafors but looking at the rope cutting video I doubt that it will suffer tremendously.

Legion

Staff member
I'll try to have it as my preferred summer knife but tbh I'm not sure I would be able to sharpen it with the limited stones (no diamonds in any form) that I have available right now.

I could also use it to break up cardboard boxes instead of my usual Moras/Hultafors but looking at the rope cutting video I doubt that it will suffer tremendously.
No way buddy. You just committed to pulling over and dressing every road kill you pass until it gets blunt. Then scrape the old paint off a weatherboard house, and cut a bag of marbles in half.

Nobody made you buy that knife...

So it arrived 5 minutes ago.

Initial impressions: excellent built quality, blade doesn’t feel flimsy, edge feels toothy

Obviously sharp out of the box but it doesn’t glide totally effortless through material. Actually it feels rather mundane going through cardboard, just like with any other steel knife that is of similar thickness. So the great unknown remains the edge retention.

798E3D10-FFF8-4775-8144-CAC3A9F6D9CA.jpeg

5B85EC66-2D57-4B1C-9FEF-89DE55D386FD.jpeg

1FA99545-E6CF-414D-9972-8A8D9937B998.jpeg

Top Bottom