What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Great information on the maintenance of the Athena. I'm willing to do it... for the moment. But at the end of the day I/me/chef455 am willing to take the loss on a "perfect" luster as long as it continues to shave remarkably. Which, thus far, it has.

It is one of the unique qualities of bronze/brass razors. What are you going to do? Polish or patina? I'm fortunate to have 2 bronze Timeless razors. I'll let one develop a patina, I'll keep the other shiny. For the time being I'll put in the "work" to keep the Athena pristine. But at the end of the day if I let the Lambda go "dull" I doubt it will impact the quality of the shave.

Patina (left alone) vs. polished Timeless bronze-
View attachment 1819727
I'm an OCD type. I don't know if I could leave it.

I'm retired. I should have time to clean/polish weekly, yeah? Worth the effort for something so beautiful.

It sure does shave nice, regardless. I'd like to try a different blade... I've seen guys commenting that the sound changes. I have several hundred Lab Blues, some GSBs, and more Astra SPs than I could ever use.

I will certainly update once I’ve used the Timeless. There are a couple ahead of it in rotation, so, it will be a little while.

The Athena, though… what can I say? It gives me a next-level shave and it literally sings with a Lab Blue blade. I get the most comfortable DFS shave of any razor I have yet used. I occasionally use alum just to check, and there is no feedback at all. It is nearly magical.

On the negative side, I’m not thrilled with the handle; I’ve nearly dropped it a time or two. Also, the maintenance requirement is a bit much. I disassemble and wash/dry after each shave, then reassemble. After three shaves, I started getting discoloration on the center of the baseplate. I will use Simichrome on it once its turn is done, but, having a razor start to patina so quickly will likely keep it out of my primary rotation. I wonder about using isopropyl alcohol to dissipate water? Just seems excessive to spend 30 minutes cleaning after every shave.

I do love the razor, though. I wish I was one of those chaps who like patina.
I use a can of air duster. Dry it by hand then one blast with the air duster and it gets any residual water out of any cracks and between teeth etc. A can lasts a long time, saves time and gets all the water off. I haven't noticed any patina yet. Good for all razors. It works for me anyway.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'm an OCD type. I don't know if I could leave it.

I'm retired. I should have time to clean/polish weekly, yeah? Worth the effort for something so beautiful.

It sure does shave nice, regardless. I'd like to try a different blade... I've seen guys commenting that the sound changes. I have several hundred Lab Blues, some GSBs, and more Astra SPs than I could ever use.
100%. Having two Timeless is a luxury, so I can allow for one to go patina and one to be polished. I assume you're speaking of the Athena's "singing voice". I look forward to learning more as well.

I use a can of air duster. Dry it by hand then one blast with the air duster and it gets any residual water out of any cracks and between teeth etc. A can lasts a long time, saves time and gets all the water off. I haven't noticed any patina yet. Good for all razors. It works for me anyway.
Similarly, i use a can of ethanol as used by ice road truckers to de-ice brake lines :w00t:

It was a good week. Started of with a purchase from BTS. Pearl Flexi, Henson Al13 +, Parker Solo Edge, and Schick L1, and blades Thank you B&B and B&B Member

Wife surprised me with a Timeless bowl and a tub of Proraso Green (no picture of these)

Today I came home to a Heritage Adjustable Gibbs 15 regular all chrome.

IMG_0174.jpeg
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0167.jpeg
IMG_0165.jpeg

It's a 1st gen English TTO Aristocrat, probably a 1938 model if Rhodium plated (or '36-37 if silver can't tell from the pic) Certainly a top of the range grooming set, awesome! (What's the purple stuff in the smaller tube, balm?)
I compared it with my No66 and it looks the same, so it must be rhodium. Silver safety razors usually develop a patina, right? I don't own a silver one. The purple stick in the photo is as hard as a rock, so it could be an alum block. However, I've never seen one that wasn't colorless. The shaving soap stick is by Colgate.

Thank you for the information; I was aware that only the oldest Aristocrats were made with an open comb, but I was so excited that I just posted the seller's photo here. I was drawn to the idea of having a one-piece razor with an open comb, and I'm glad I finally acquired one. I am now adding some detailed photos of my own for a closer look.

Attachments

• IMG_20240329_181014.jpg
    IMG_20240329_181014.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240329_181206.jpg
    IMG_20240329_181206.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240329_181116.jpg
    IMG_20240329_181116.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240329_181014.jpg
    IMG_20240329_181014.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240329_180949.jpg
    IMG_20240329_180949.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240329_180930.jpg
    IMG_20240329_180930.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Scored a 3rd quarter 1971 Super Adjustable at an antique mall.
20240330_222528~2.jpg

20240330_222622~2.jpg

Price was reasonable to begin with, but the guy who opened the glass case so I could see it happened to be the seller too. I was appreciative, but wasn't all that interested. He lowered the price, twice, to get me to commit. I really was not haggling. I already have a Soviet clone of the 109 Super Adjustable. A "восход", or Voskhod.
20240330_222805.jpg

The one on the left is the Soviet. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a genuine Gillette.

A bit of a rough tin but the razor is in lovely condition.
Really like English Gillette Techs….smooth and kind to my face. Work very well with a KAI blade.
This one has a great little hollow handle and there is a groove in the safety bar.
Tried it out this morning and delivered a DFS. Still feeling smooth this evening.
IMG_6889.jpeg

IMG_6891.jpeg

Really like English Gillette Techs….smooth and kind to my face. Work very well with a KAI blade.
This one has a great little hollow handle and there is a groove in the safety bar.
Tried it out this morning and delivered a DFS. Still feeling smooth this evening.View attachment 1821406

View attachment 1821407
I’ve heard mixed things about the grooved model but have yet to be able to find one “cheap” like the other version

I’ve heard mixed things about the grooved model but have yet to be able to find one “cheap” like the other version
Only used once this morning but it shaved well…very smooth and a different sound to the other similar vintage Techs , due to the hollow handle I suspect.
Was reasonably priced and I had been on the lookout for one for quite some time.
I’d heard they weren’t so good too but aside from the groove in the bar looks like any other FBT. Haven’t measured if the gap is different though.
Perhaps slightly less efficient than the diamond plate fat handle but still delivered the smooth shave I love from these razors. Low on irritation. I think it’s a great little razor paired up with the KAI blade and it looks minimal and lean.

Tried it out this morning and delivered a DFS. Still feeling smooth this evening.View attachment 1821406

View attachment 1821407
Ah nice score! I was looking for one of those, the Tech Service Set, around mid-war. Dunno if it was official issue or just sold by Gillette UK for private purchase.
proxy.php

I read a couple of posts saying it was a bit mild but was unsure in what context as it's a very early FBT variant so shouldn't be unless the gap is significantly narrower compared to the rest of the family.

I like the lean and mean looks of it.

mild but was unsure in what context as it's a very early FBT variant
PXL_20240205_192440505~2.jpg

They were produced alongside the more common FB tech throughout the ~10 year run and usually come in mid/lower sets 25, 44, 27, 31 etc. I think this was Sloughs version of the Tech, inc that handle (Brentford the common version)
It's mild and smooth, up there with the RFB. One of my all time faves (I call it the grooved flat bottom)

A bit of a rough tin
Seen better, seen holy dingoes rough ralph, that's only one more rust spot away from the bin, like, there is no paint left, and you want HOW many Sheckles? Dreaming!. Which suggests to me? they were used and loved buy their use?

Ah nice score! I was looking for one of those, the Tech Service Set, around mid-war. Dunno if it was official issue or just sold by Gillette UK for private purchase.
Errrrr, here is what I don't know

The tin is listed along with the fancy pants US service set and the equally fancy pants Canada service set [in gold too] Ww1 Ww2 < questions on were they [tins] both Ww's? as were the fancy pants service sets, ok, the tech variety denotes Ww2 no doubts.

there is no inside pix in my sauce document :( I lean toward the ''purchase'' side a little more than the "issued" [ always with the negative waves, Moriarty]

but, the condition always tends to suggest a fair amount of use and maybe a little abuse as though they were carried round a lot?

A pixture of my 'Abomination' :crying:

moo moo kangaroo doo doo abomination.jpg

Silver handle [so I nossed it with cello :D devious :winkiss: ] Wrong!
Keyholes in guard open comb? 99% sure that's WRONG!!
Blades have the scrolls at the top? Who nose?

but, the tin is the correct tin for the tin, bit shagged but.[i like the werd but in this post]

Flat not inclined on either guard or blade rests like the blue models shown above, and striking obvious different colour? same cutout to lift the guard/cap out, but no cutout in the hinge area.

I just like giving my 2$ worth, flappin me gums! [adjusted up from 2c due to inflation] :letterk1:

Picked up a lot that had one of my favoritesView attachment 1819338
after cleaning, I think we know where my next picture will be posted. Think I may be able to source some new material for the destroyed inner liner so we’ll seeView attachment 1819333the winner of the lot based on cleaning is this slim. A photo from me and the listingView attachment 1819339View attachment 1819337
after ultrasonic cleaning water. The worst I’ve ever seen.View attachment 1819336the amazing aside from a few little pieces of stubborn buildup in the nooks result. Actually can’t believe the razor was this good, it looks like someone staged the buildup for the result.View attachment 1819334View attachment 1819335
What ultrasonic cleaner unit do you use and are you happy with it?

It's amazing how much is manages to make those old razors shine. And how much gunk comes out of them!

Dunno if it was official issue

Government contract Gillette razors are unbranded and made from potmetal/zinc
img_20230820_135103833-jpg.1707504

Gillette also made this '3 pin FB New' razor in brass at Slough for the pubic (shows up in the cheap sets from 43-46, see above) Presumably the 3 pin design was a gov spec to allow the use of competitor/gov purchased blades (blades always had major supply issues during this period)

That’s 100% right combined with the handle you have. As per Mr Razor / Achim’s website:

View attachment 1821664

This is one of two models having different baseplate and cap fixtures.
:sneaky2: be quiet .... pipe down, now you are confusing me :confused1 :001_tongu The tin in question is the service set blue tin, the silver handle? keyholes? just dont seem logical for a service set?

I've seen that one .... in my cabinet

11 b 47 92 hut hut hut.jpg

as far as i want delve into a reason for the keyholes? open comb?? my brain sed, open comb pre 40, closed comb post 40? for a ball park figure? then some long dead dude screws with my head and stiks a freakin open comb in a 46????????????
probak nacet or 7o'clok ...... leftovers
Gaisman was mentioned in my reading about 6 hours ago, somewhere. and thats all i'm going to research for now, i'm over these long dead dudes screwing with my head 80 years later :letterk2:

Top Bottom