What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Do like this:
Line a bowl with aluminium foil.
Pour a generous amount of ordinary baking soda into the bowl so that it covers the bottom.
Put the razor pieces in the bowl so that every piece is connected to the aluminium.
Pour a bit more baking soda upon it.
Pour boiling water upon it so that the whole razor is covered with water. That starts a reaction that's totally harmless and that's been used by house keepers and house wifes for more than a century. All the black oxidation reacts with the soda and goes back to is original state: pure silver.
When the water has cooled down to you can use your fingers to pick up the razor parts and you'll have a razor with as thick and shiny plating as it had the day it left the factory.

I posted a picture in this thread about a month ago with the last single ring I gave this treatment to. It was nearly as black as your razor.

Thanks polar! I'll try this when I get home with it in about a week. I'll get some pictures up after she cleaned up. Thank you for your help. I also noticed a hair line crack at the top of the handle. Seems like this is pretty common and not much to worry about.

Thanks polar! I'll try this when I get home with it in about a week. I'll get some pictures up after she cleaned up. Thank you for your help. I also noticed a hair line crack at the top of the handle. Seems like this is pretty common and not much to worry about.
You're welcome,
I'm really looking forward to seeing those pictures. The hairline crack is more or less a signum. I hope to score a nice double ring myself one day, with or without crack. But until then I'll be happy to shave with a single ring.

Found this Sheraton for $7 a few weeks ago. Overall very clean. Some slight pitting.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 205
Wonderful scores Pasttense & lwt210!

I received a package on Friday from an auction with 3 vintage razors in pretty rough shape. Price paid:75$, not much of a bargain I guess. After disinfecting them & using baking soda in hot water & toothpaste with a brush here's what I got:

A Super Speed 40s
$1406308765-ss-1.jpeg
$1406308769-ss-2.jpeg

after:
$1406559605-ss1.jpg
$1406559610-ss2.jpg
$1406559615-ss3.jpg

and a E1 Fat Boy:
$1406308985-fboy-2.jpeg
$1406308987-fboy-3.jpeg

after:
$1406559757-fb1.jpg
$1406559766-fb3.jpg
$1406559770-fb4.jpg

I guess there's more that could be done, but I think the super speed is beyond saving and the Gem needs a replate.
Luckily enough the Fat Boy is the only one remotely close to being shave-ready, but having seen Captain Murphy's discoveries inside their shaft, I don't even want to imagine what's hidden in there!!!

At some point I would definitely look to replate the Fat Boy and bring it back to all its glory.

Found this at a garage sale this morning for $15. Question is, what did I find? It's got a black chrome finish, open comb... I assume Gillette? Has 11 of the 12 original blades. I think the last one is the blade still in the razor.

Thanks!

View attachment 476739
View attachment 476739
View attachment 476739

WOW. Amazing find. Just to clean it do the aluminum/baking soda / hot water trick. That'll come back like new. BUT do it outside as the smell, is uh, sometimes not so good. Great find there.

$20140730_202119.jpg

Just acquired this "Gillette New Gold" from the bay. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it a LC or a SC? Also, the cap seems to be a different color from the rest of the razor. Is it likely a replate? Thanks!

EDIT: Picture fail. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
The angle of the pic is not the best, but it looks like a NEW LC. The difference in color is because they used two types of brass, yellow and red. Since the cap's plating is gone you can see the base metal, which is red brass ( higher content of copper). Nothing wrong with that and should serve you well for many years.

Congrats!

Hello all, today's mail brought a weekend score I made on eBay. It was item number 161371785591. I referenced the item number so you can see the "before" photographs. I forgot to take any. So anyway, I acquired an early Canadian Smooth Ball Narrow Handle Pocket Edition set. The case was pretty trashed, but it's a work in progress. The razor came out nice though, with a serial number of PC 52013. Maybe someone can enter it into the Canadian Wiki for me, since it is an early serial number. So here's the photos of my progress in cleaning it up so far-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406758477.442872.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406758493.808601.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406758516.641910.jpg
The last photo is a comparison shot of a standard Ball End Old Type, and the Smooth Ball Old Type that was in this set. Thanks for your interest.

Top Bottom