What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Two new vintage beauties!

First we have a beautiful Pomco Slant (front). I couldn't say what year or even time period this came from as there are no serial numbers or date codes. If I had to guess, I'd say 50s? I'm not at all sure, though. I'd say the condition is an A-frame. $uploadfromtaptalk1393256637060.jpg

Next we have my holy Grail. The 1934 model TTO open comb Aristocrat. I've been waiting a long time to add one to the collection and I finally found one at the right price. I'd give it a B+ as far as condition goes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna give it a test run!

I don't want to rain on your parade, because that is a really cool set that you found...but, I don't think the Tuckaway sets were ever sold with "Old Type" heads.

If you want to be truly complete, you need a "New Improved" head for that thing.

Interesting, and that's quite alright, feel free to rain on my parade. What I'm discovering is that the more that I find things in the wild the more that I end up with mis-matched razors; usually one head with an incorrect handle. If I understand what you're suggesting, I have an earlier model head with a later model handle; is this correct?

The man that I purchased this from suggested that this razor "had never been used." I tend to doubt this because there are faint signs of soap scum in the threaded portion of the handle; but, to be honest, I'm not sure if it's soap scum or if the plating is a bit worn. Regardless, I guess I'm not all that surprised at your suggestion. I'm still pretty pleased at the find and it turns out, if you are indeed correct, that I simply have something to keep my eyes open for and some more self-educating to do. So, thanks for the heads up.

Another indicator that this was likely used is that the blades in the box have a B1 date code on them suggesting that this was likely being used at some time in the '50s. The blades are Gillette Super Blues, I believe, I'll have to look again.

Finally, there is some information stamped around the lower part of the handle that suggests a 1920's (?) patent number, which doesn't align with the 1918 serial number on the head. Again, I'll have to double check.

Again, if you are correct, then it looks like I'll need to keep a look out for a handle to match the Old Type head as well.

All in all, thank you. I'll be interested to see if anyone else chimes in.

Very happy with the new additions to the collection this weekend.

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393386620.243497.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393386620.243497.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 180
Very Nice Pics Y'all!!

CS315...You are Killin' me.......I LOVE those 3 razors!!!

Enjoy All!!

Thanks for sharing.

Picked up this 1938 Gillette Senator on the Bay for a pretty penny but waaay less than any price I've ever seen on one before.

$uploadfromtaptalk1393433201842.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1393433211994.jpg

That's a darn nice Senator you picked up sir!

Thank you, all the ones I saw were absurdly priced at $200 plus in similar or worse condition and I paid $85. I figured it's a good deal, I don't have to send it away for replating, I can clean it up myself and it's such a unique razor I couldn't help myself.

Thanks. This is Gillette Old Type.

Cool. I'm not disputing you, simply trying to learn. Shouldn't the Old Type have a serial number stamped in it? Did I just miss it because of the angle in the photo? *heading back to mr-razor and the dating chart*

Thanks,

Nice pick up on the Senator. I'm new to all of this and until a couple of months ago never knew there was such a thing as an OC razor. I'm accepting the idea of an OC, even have a couple of my own, but something still seems weird about an OC TTO to me. Not sure if its a hermaphroditic thing or something else.

Last edited:
Nice pick up on the Senator. I'm new to all of this and until a couple of months ago never knew there was such a thing as an OC razor. I'm accepting the idea of an OC, even have a couple of my own, but something still seems weird about an OC TTO to me.

Same here, I've heard good and bad but I love butterfly door razors and was looking for a slim or fat boy but the prices are just ridiculous so I just went with the OC because it's a closer shave as well plus they only made the Senators for a year so it's kind of unique and that was a selling point enough to me. I'll probably end up buying an adjustable sooner or later and have my EJ 89LBL, the Senator and that and call it quits on RAD at that point.

Top Bottom