What's new

Sabi T-2: Observations on the current version

I recently acquired a Sabi T-2 from Shaveabuck; this is the version from Shaveabuck’s “new” supplier, which is made in Taiwan. I’m not sure how much of the other discussion here on the forum regarding the Sabi addresses the original vs. the new version, but FWIW, I thought I’d provide a few of my observations for those who might be interested in the current production model of this razor.

$IMG_2965.jpg

Overall
What jumps out right away, of course, is the handle. I opted for the short version (the T-1 is ¾” longer), which is still fairly massive at 75 grams for its 3 3/16” length. The entire razor tips in at a hefty 101 grams. The knurling and plating on the handle are very well done and it looks every bit the part of a much higher priced piece. If you like the design (I do), this handle is worth every bit of the $24 price of admission. Truth be told, I bought the razor primarily for the handle which, BTW, makes a spectacular match for my bright nickel NEW. I’m quite sure it will see action with some of my other heads as well.

The head is something of another matter. It is, of course, pot metal, or zinc alloy, or whatever the proper term is for the cast material in wide use today. But then, what’s new: unless you are willing to pay for stainless, that’s pretty much the state of the art for current production razors. The plating is decent but far from perfect. On mine, there are a few small flaws on the cap, the ends are somewhat coarsely finished, and the underside is likewise a bit on the rough side. All in all, I’d put it in about the same class as the typical Merkur, which I realize isn’t saying much, but hey, remember, it’s 24 bucks. And there’s that handle.

$IMG_2968.jpg

The Shave
At first look, the head resembles the EJ DE89/Muhle 89/Merkur, but if one were to assume that it shaves similarly, one would be wrong. This is not a mild razor. Put a blade in it, and you can see right away a truly menacing looking gap. Put it on your face and that will be instantly confirmed: you’ll feel a lot of blade. Though it may look superficially similar, the Sabi is far more aggressive than either the DE89 or Merkur classic head. I wouldn’t call it crazy aggressive, probably a little shy of the Fatip, but you should definitely have your wits about you when you load this one up.

Though I am not a particular fan of extra aggressive razors, the Sabi does reward tolerating the little extra fear factor with an excellent, close shave. I haven’t drawn any serious blood, and the results have been very close and generally comfortable. I’m still trying out different blades, and since this is such a YMMV thing, I won’t comment on this other than to say that so far, the Sabi doesn’t seem to be particularly fussy in that regard.

One of the issues that has come up in several reviews of the Sabi (and, again, I’m not sure if those are for the original or the new supplier version) is the sharpness of the bar edges and, especially, the corners. That condition is definitely present on my T-2; the bottom of the safety bar has a noticeably thin, keen edge, and the corners are indeed sharp. But I haven’t really noticed this affecting my shave in any discernible way. So while I would confirm this observation of other reviewers, I have found it thus far to be pretty much a non-issue, shaving-wise.

$IMG_2973a.jpg

The Bottom Line
If you like your DEs on the aggressive side, I would definitely recommend checking out the Sabi. As solid bar designs go, it’s a particularly efficient shaver. And at its price point, it is definitely an incredible value, the minor finish issues notwithstanding. For me, as one who tends to favor smaller caliber arms, the Sabi is not likely to make the regular rotation. But still, I won’t be parting with mine any time soon. Because after all, even though it’s a bit on the aggressive side for my tastes, there is that handle …

Very nice review, well written and thoughtful. I also purchased a similar razor, the Cadet open comb from the same source. I bought mine for the handle as well. I wasn't as impressed with my head, but the handle has a home in my rotation.

I'd been looking at that exact razorfor awhile, and for the same reasons. I like the handle for other razors, but was also curous about that style head. I may have to pull the trigger.

I bought a very similar razor. The head was PIF'ed. The handle is my go-to handle when I need "like, totally awesome maximum grippage, dude!"

Sorry, it had to be said. :001_tongu

+1 to Spang's observations. My experience exactly with the longer handled T1.

I like aggressive razors and got good shaves with the SABI (Shave A Buck International), but did find the sharp corner of the safety bar to be annoying. I imagine that if Joe got that sharp corner under control, the SABI would be a very popular razor.

The handle is the real value in the SABI. In itself is quite something, bordering on a being a force of nature. With it's heavy, brass construction, it make the Merkur HD seem like a light weight, the Bulldog handle seem like a puppy.

I would disagree with the observation that the Cadets are similar to the SABIs. Although they are commisioned by the same vendor, they are manufactured by two different companies in two different countries. IMO, the finish is much better on the Cadets.

If you're disappointed in the SABIs, just be glad that you didn't pay $55-$70 for them.

http://nyshavingcompany.com/shop/index.php/catalog/product/gallery/id/247/image/442/

Top Bottom