What's new

rust (spot) treatment advice

Trying to get some tips/advice. I have a light rust spot on my straight razor and was seeing what would be the best way going about treating it or just what to do about it. Would it be best to send it to someone or is there a way to do it yourself if the rust isn't too bad? I'm guessing it was there because i haven't used it in a while and have been using my double edge razor. When I get done using my straight I rinse it with water, wipe it dry, strop it, and then use some light oil on the blade and store it in my leather case. Also, I store it away from the bathroom while in the case, in a plastic storage container with my toiletries. Am I doing anything wrong with the care? Here are a couple pics to show the rust spot. I added a couple attached pics to show the rust spot.

Attachments

• $Picture 008.jpg
    $Picture 008.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 109
  • $Picture 009.jpg
    $Picture 009.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 109
I used Sandflex Sanding Block from Amazon, if you ever rubbed a pencil eraser on a penny, it will leave the same same effect (shiny spot). You can get a silicone sleeve from TheSuperiorShave.com which helps.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Make sure the gap between the scales are dry before storing the razor too.

I use silica desiccate to keep my tools rust free in storage in addition to the oil wiped on them. I have humidity troubles and will always have them as I live in the south which is humid so using desiccate will be a normal thing for me and something you may want to do if you keep your stuff in plastic boxes

RE: the OP.

If you have a rototool of some kind, then a small buffing wheel & jewelers rouge may knock it right out. It's pretty slow stuff, so you would need some patience. If you do that, keep it away from the edge unless you can hone the "oops" back out of it.

Leather cases are not the best for storing steel objects... they are known to cause rust.. the tanning chemicals, aling with leathers tendency to hold moisture - combine to cause rust.
Storing it in a sealed plastic box will exacerbate the situation...

I can't see the rust in your photo all that clearly... sanding is possible but I would go with fine grit w/d and go slowly, especially if the rust goes near the bevel. The paper will load fast but that's better than going hog-wild with 220 and scratching the blade up.
Or - you can dunk it in CLR - and then rehone the blade. Which is what I would probably do.

I wish I had a levitating shaving brush. :lol:

Is the dark patch on the left of the blade the rust or just a reflection?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
its a loop of string...there was a thread a while back regarding how to store brushes IIRC.

That;s the rust on the left. It was difficult trying to angle the blade with the reflection of the light to made it clearer. Someone actually suggested using a blade to scrape it off if it was just surface rust or red rust. Which the rust did look like it was just on the surface. I used a blade for my double edge and it scrape the rust off. All i think i need to do now is try and polish it.

Haha, that's floss. It's hanging on the hook/support that's holding the mirror. I didn't feel like buying a stand for it.

Top Bottom