What's new

Rubberset 400-3 Revisited, to add a spare Ferrel.

Still loving my Rubberset 400-3 with it's Maggards two band badger.

However I still on occasion love the scritch of a pure badger knot. I just revamped a 200-3 with a pure badger and it works fine to fill the void with scritch, but that handle on the 400-3 suits me so much better, more comfortable to hold.

So ordered a 24mm ferrel from Phoenix shaving. Sadly they only offer them in silver anodizing. Went ahead and ordered one. Top notch piece, matches the top contour of the original. The bottom is straight not beveled in like the original. I can live with that. But the anodizing I cannot.

Stripped the anodizing off with Ez-Off oven cleaner. Sprayed it then let it sit for twenty minuets, washed and dried it then repeated the process one more time.
Finished it off with 600 grit and worked my way up to 12,000 grit to polish it off (jewelry paper).

End result, a new matching ferrel for my rubberset 400-3.
Looks spot on to the handle.

E81E3E6F-8C76-41AD-8378-EA80479BAD91.jpeg

F618E765-55E4-4C21-9FA1-2A4B7DB3DDAE.jpeg

52E67995-245C-4EC2-A3EA-2880C47F7B5E.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fantastic work. I love the 400 handle. Classic design to be sure. Yours looks great. I never tried to unscrew mine. Did you need tools or did it loosen up by hand?

Fantastic work. I love the 400 handle. Classic design to be sure. Yours looks great. I never tried to unscrew mine. Did you need tools or did it loosen up by hand?
I got lucky with this one. Soaked it in hot water for a bit, put on some leather gloves and twisted it right off.

Top Bottom