What's new

Rooney Special

You all suck. Or, you're all great. We'll find out when I try the brush I just ordered.

I'll post a review once I get it.

You're all a bunch of enablers...

lol
everything will be great its a rooney.

check out my rooney 1/3 in super
nothing like the feel of a large warm and soft brush in the morning. :wink:

+1, except this will be better. Tips will unfortunately still be a bit scritchy like the C&E was, however, when I prefer them soft. But will be an excellent all-around brush for a wetshaver of any experience level, at an entry-level price!

Regards.

J

or at least that is what my gut is telling me. I guess we will wait and find out.

+1, except this will be better. Tips will unfortunately still be a bit scritchy like the C&E was, however, when I prefer them soft. But will be an excellent all-around brush for a wetshaver of any experience level, at an entry-level price!

Regards.

J

Possibly scritchier than the BBB, right? Pure vs. Best.

-Andy

Possibly scritchier than the BBB, right? Pure vs. Best.

-Andy

Andy you may know more about this than I do but from what I've read hair varies from company to company. For example a Kent silvertip may be softer than a Edwin Jagger silvertip.

So it MAY be possible that a Rooney pure may be comparable to a Edwin Jagger Best badger as far as scritchiest.

I am probably off on this but from my couple months of researching this is what I picked up.

Just got it today. Haven't used it yet, since I didn't have time to get good pre-bloom photos. I'll try and put together a short review tomorrow.

Can you feel the suspense?

Just got it today. Haven't used it yet, since I didn't have time to get good pre-bloom photos. I'll try and put together a short review tomorrow.

Can you feel the suspense?

Im feeling it, this brush being a rooney may have a break in period. Let us know :biggrin:

Okay, this is first impressions only. I want to use it a while longer before making a full review (my first review!).

Here is a picture of the Special next to a 1/1 and 2nd gen BBE:
proxy.php

Here is the overhead shot (same line-up order):
proxy.php

It came in a simple clear, plastic box. I've already thrown it away - nothing remarkable there. However, packaging is just going to take cabinet space and I could personally care less.

The hair feels similar to other best badgers I've had in the past. I feel the need to note here that I've only used this a few days. We'll see how it comes along as it breaks in.

The knot doesn't seem as dense as my other Rooneys. That's not to say it is floppy or sparse by any means. Its firm, with backbone. And it is reasonabley dense. But I could feel the difference in density between it and my 1/1 or 3/2. The reason I say this is that, personally, when I think Rooney, I think dense. This is not "Rooney dense." If you are expecting that, you will be disappointed.

On my Tabac puck, it worked reasonably well. Probably a little soft for a good soap brush. With some TOBS cream, it worked better. I would say that it is more of a cream brush. I'm not a face latherer, so I can't comment on that.

Putting badger to beard, it performed better than I was expecting. It lathered nicely with a little scrubbiness. There was a little scritch, but I'm expecting that to go away as it breaks in. We will see.

My personal first impression: This would make a great entry brush, travel brush, or inexpensive daily user. So far, I'm enjoying it and am looking forward to doing more "research" for a full review.

Just wanted to post an update.

The brush is breaking in nicely so far. It has lost it's scritch, and is still a little scrubby. I used my 3/1 for a couple days and then thought, "that Special just doesn't compare." I then picked up the Special again, and was pleasantly surprised. Not as soft and luxurious as the silvertip, but still a nice, competent brush. And I really appreciate the way the knot pulls back together when not against skin.

I'll try and post a final review next week.

Last edited:
Sorry for the bad picture quality. The new brush is not bloomed and tortoise shell colored, not quite as reddish as it might look in the pictures. Here compared to my Rooney 3/1 in "Pure" (bloomed).

Last edited:
Sorry for the bad picture quality. The new brush is not bloomed and tortoise shell colored, not quite as reddish as it might look in the pictures. Here compared to my Rooney 3/1 in "Pure" (bloomed).

NICE.

Too bad you didn't have to of the same hair grades so you can put an end to my wondering if they are EXACTLY the same (besides loft). Then again I wouldn't buy two brushes that are that close and I would have purchaces the super like you.

BTW i really hope these are NOT re-branded copies. Look at the word "Sterilized" on both brushes. One is spelled with an "s" and one with a "z". I am a little worried about this.

BTW i really hope these are NOT re-branded copies. Look at the word "Sterilized" on both brushes. One is spelled with an "s" and one with a "z". I am a little worried about this.

Both my old 3/1 in Ivory and the new Special in Coral are spelled with a "z". Maybe it depends on the model. My real horn doesn't say "sterilized" at all. All three brushes are Super.

Len

Last edited:
As for the spelling of "sterilized", that typo had been changed awhile back when Rooney redid all their stamps. However, you may still see a few earlier brushes from time to time with the "s". I still have a few of the earlier brushes in inventory myself in some slower moving SKU's . Note the smaller point size of the "Rooney" on the brush with the "s". This is an earlier brush that was stamped with one of the old stamps.

Top Bottom