What's new

Rooney, Savile Row, Tweezerman comparison

I guess my SBAD isn't over yet. After my Rooney 3/1 purchase the Savile Row xx18 was next on the list. Pulled the trigger last WK and placed an order with Charles at QED. Excellent customer service, fast shipping and wonderful products.

I took a comparison picture so it's easier to imagine the size of the little badger. I'm a big fan of smaller sized brushes. All I can say that it's an awesome brush.

The 3318 I received has a knot size: 18mm - hair height 50mm
The Rooney I have: knot size 22mm - hair height 51mm
The Tweezrman I have: knot size 19mm - hair height 52/53mm

Thanks Charles!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

All the brushes shown have been used and are bloomed.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for the comparison shot with measurements :)

Isn't that Tweezerman a lot of brush for the money it cost?
I think so.
The others are top shelf brushes..
Just the beginnings of the slippery slope :)

I guess my SBAD isn't over yet. After my Rooney 3/1 purchase the Savile Row xx18 was next on the list. Pulled the trigger last WK and placed an order with Charles at QED. Excellent customer service, fast shipping and wonderful products.

Hair-wise, how would you compare the SR with a rooney?

Hair-wise, how would you compare the SR with a rooney?

As you can see from the pics the Rooney is the most dense of the 3 brushes. It's also the most prickly, stiffer brush with the most back bone. The Savile Row beats the Rooney in softness. The hairs are extremely luxurious, soft and when face lathering I can barely feel any prickly. The prickly is there but very subdued. When paint brushing my face I don't feel any prickly. Soft as can be. The Rooney is and stays prickly. They both are really different. The tweezerman is just in the middle. Less prickly then the Rooney but not as soft and luxurious as the Savile Row.

As I have stated in other replies I say the tweezerman is a bargain for a $10.00 brush if you get a good one. It's not a fancy handle and maybe it won't last more than 1 year if used daily but who cares for $10.00. I'm sure if you use the tweezerman in your rotation it will last you a very long time. The Rooney and SR are a league of their own. Beautiful finish, hand made and build solid. That's a big part of the price you're paying.

They are all different enough to give me a different feel when lathering.

As you can see from the pics the Rooney is the most dense of the 3 brushes. It's also the most prickly, stiffer brush with the most back bone. The Savile Row beats the Rooney in softness. The hairs are extremely luxurious, soft and when face lathering I can barely feel any prickly. The prickly is there but very subdued. When paint brushing my face I don't feel any prickly. Soft as can be. The Rooney is and stays prickly. They both are really different. The tweezerman is just in the middle. Less prickly then the Rooney but not as soft and luxurious as the Savile Row. ..

I just wanted to comment that the Rooney (mine at least) has the softest tips of any badger I've felt, and I definitely felt the tips on the SR to be pricklier.

That said, the Rooney is firmer as max-s noted, so if you push the brush straight into your face I'm sure it will be pokey. When swirling I have no such trouble, and I am particularly sensitive to rough tips.

Regards.

J

Very nice pictures! Thank you!

I'm waiting on my Rooney Style 3 size small - should be here Monday. I thought I had chosen well, and now I'm just anticipating its arrival even more. I'll be interested to see what "prickly" is to you - I've been using boar hair only so far....

Austin

Very cool photos, nice job! :a14::a14::a14:

Very nice pictures! Thank you!

I'm waiting on my Rooney Style 3 size small - should be here Monday. I thought I had chosen well, and now I'm just anticipating its arrival even more. I'll be interested to see what "prickly" is to you - I've been using boar hair only so far....

Austin

I just got my Rooney style 3 size 1 (in super) yesterday and used it this morning - it's great! :w00t: I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

I just wanted to comment that the Rooney (mine at least) has the softest tips of any badger I've felt, and I definitely felt the tips on the SR to be pricklier.

j,

I was wondering where you got your Rooney from? I got mine from Jim at Vintagblades and I know that the Rooneys that Jim sells are adjusted to his specs and made with shorter hair height. Since mine is 51mm in height and very dense the hair tends to be very stiff and scratchy. When I do use conditioner to treat the Rooney the hairs get pretty soft but it loses a bit of the stiffness and tends to bloom more. But still not as soft as the SR 3318 I have. That baby is so soft! I do enjoy them both.

Max

Great comparison. One question though, what are the bristle types on the Rooney and Savile Row? I can't tell if the Rooney is either Genuine Silvertip or Super Silvertip. The SR definitely looks a bit whiter.

If your Rooney is super silvertip, your experience is a bit different from mine, which could be explained by the natural variation from badger to badger. It's like if you had one wig each made from Phyllis Diller's hair and a supermodel's hair, the differences would be obvious. :biggrin:

Great comparison. One question though, what are the bristle types on the Rooney and Savile Row? I can't tell if the Rooney is either Genuine Silvertip or Super Silvertip. The SR definitely looks a bit whiter.

If your Rooney is super silvertip, your experience is a bit different from mine, which could be explained by the natural variation from badger to badger. It's like if you had one wig each made from Phyllis Diller's hair and a supermodel's hair, the differences would be obvious. :biggrin:

Jim,

The Rooney I have is a Super Silvertip. It has to be badger variation, I guess.

Max

j,

I was wondering where you got your Rooney from? I got mine from Jim at Vintagblades and I know that the Rooneys that Jim sells are adjusted to his specs and made with shorter hair height. Since mine is 51mm in height and very dense the hair tends to be very stiff and scratchy. When I do use conditioner to treat the Rooney the hairs get pretty soft but it loses a bit of the stiffness and tends to bloom more. But still not as soft as the SR 3318 I have. That baby is so soft! I do enjoy them both.

Max

Hi Max,

Interesting, I have used Rooneys from multiple sources (including Vintageblades), and have never experienced the Super or Silvertip to have scratchy tips. You can get a good scrubbing going due to the firmness, but I've never noticed the tips themselves to be scratchy at all, and I'm very sensitive to it.

Now the Finest hair can be a bit scritchy for sure.

The SR3118 was much softer feeling in terms of backbone, that I will agree with. The Rooney Supers/Silvertips I have used had very soft tips, but still good backbone/density.

Regards.

J

Very cool photos, nice job! :a14::a14::a14:

I just got my Rooney style 3 size 1 (in super) yesterday and used it this morning - it's great! :w00t: I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Thanks Dude! What kind of soap are you using with it? I've got Col. Conk Amber at home and the GFT sampler on the way...

Austin

Thanks Dude! What kind of soap are you using with it? I've got Col. Conk Amber at home and the GFT sampler on the way...

Austin

I used TOBS Sandalwood SS this morning but I'm sure it'll see some tabac action soon and some SCS action as well. After only one use I feel pretty good about my purchase but I've already got my eyes on a certain shavemac that's been calling my name...

I have the same problem. I'm already looking at the XXL 30mm octagon handled one....and I haven't even got the Rooney yet!
I think I'll get some Tabac, but I want to work up a list of a few others to try and save on shipping when I get them.

Austin

I have the same problem. I'm already looking at the XXL 30mm octagon handled one....and I haven't even got the Rooney yet!
I think I'll get some Tabac, but I want to work up a list of a few others to try and save on shipping when I get them.

Austin

I'm already looking at a custom made shavemac! and I have a tabac on it's way! :tongue_sm :biggrin: :smile:

But like my wife told me yesterday... I'm happy you're spending your money in wet shaving and collecting shaving supplies and not in collecting guns... (which I do too but stopped buying a long time ago).. Wet shaving is way cheaper! hahaha

Top Bottom