What's new

RIP Gaston Glock

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sig makes a fine handgun as well.

In the current world, everyone debating fine points to death on the internet makes it easy to forget how spoiled for choice we all are now. I’m a big fan of Glocks, but there are certainly other good options out there.

I never got along well with the all steel double action hammer fired long trigger pull of the older Sig’s. The Sig 226’s bore axis just set way too high and forward for my liking. Its length of pull was too wide from trigger to backstrap for my smaller hand and shorter stubby fingers, which ergonomics turned its 15 pound double action trigger pull into a perceived 30 pound trigger pull for me. I could never dial in that first and most important DA shot before it was in SA mode.

I had the same experiences with the Sig 228 and the Beretta 92FS both of which I owned and eventually sold.

When I was introduced to the Glock in the police academy, it was an epiphany for me; and I immediately understood the logic of why police departments wanted to transition their young cadets to a duty pistol that was lighter, held more ammunition in its magazine, was utterly reliable like a revolver and the first life saving dependable shot was the exact same as the last life saving dependable shot.

While I’m not here to bash other firearms or extol the Glock, but the fact that Glock still doesn’t make a single double action hammer fired pistol, but virtually every other pistol manufacturer now makes a polymer striker fired pistol including Sig Arms? Speaks volumes? And most got in the game 40 years after Glocks inception?

It is what it is. And I absolutely am in love with my Springfield 1911. :)

Last edited:
gaston.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:c2: Read the book about him; recommended.

The Bic lighter of pistols, they were indeed a paradigm shift. Though he didn't invent striker-fired or plastic guns, he put them in every PD.

Hm, Remington's Nylon 66 was on the right track after all ... they could have had a Nylon/plastic pistol in the early 1960s. American gunmakers missed the mark for once.

AA

Top Bottom