What's new

Rinsing razor with cold water

Saw this new youtube thing about rinsing you razor with cold water and the benefits thereof. I tried it today, but as a noob I cannot really comment on it.
Technically I struggle to see the benefits............. maybe colder steel (blade) might be stiffer I suppose.

Have you tried this?

(sorry while typing I realize I have not searched the forum for if this has been discussed before. apologies)

Cold water all the way for me, everything, I even use ice water (water with ice) in my soaking mug, bowl and water mister to spray as much as I can, cold water from the tap.

The cold water, in general, imho, I like better as it just gives me a better shave, I got use to it. In the beginning I had "sensitive skin" so I used it to help with irritation, I still do use cold water, everything, shave feels closer later after your shave once your skin goes back to room my temperature, this is my experience.

Rinsing with cold water is just to keep everything cold. As far as the razor benefits, that I have no idea about honestly.

Do whatever you feel is right, many threads about cold water vs hot water but I personally do and enjoy the cold water shave.

Hot weather here. I prefer the pleasant feeling of hot water on my face but it leaves my skin too soft. The results are better with cold water. I use a straight razor without getting it wet at any time and if I use DE, I run it through cold water as well.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
YouTube.
Everybody has an angle for clicks.
If someone put up a YouTube video of a guy shaving with peanut butter and a weedwhacker, a bunch of folks would comment how wonderful their shaves were with peanut butter and a weedwhacker.

YouTube.
Everybody has an angle for clicks.
If someone put up a YouTube video of a guy shaving with peanut butter and a weedwhacker, a bunch of folks would comment how wonderful their shaves were with peanut butter and a weedwhacker.
I see this so often. Then there are also those who never even tried it (be it a new razor, blade, stone, steel, soap, etc.) and they already have an opinion whether or not is better.

Do what works for you. I think the theory is, ostensibly, that cold water closes the pores on your face. I don't know whether that's true, or not. In any event, using cold water IMO is a good finish to the shave before applying my post shave products.

Cold water shaves works for many people here on B&B and there is nothing wrong with that. YMMV. Cold water does nothing to the blade etc etc just like hot water does nothing to the blade etc etc. It is not enough of a low temperature/high temperature to do anything to the blade.

However I would recommend using hot water to clean the razor and blade after your shave. Left over fats and such from the shave soap will come off much easier.

To echo what others have said, experiment and see what works best for you. I've settled on cool to cold water for my face but warm to hot water for rinsing my razor. I don't know how to explain it but when I rinsed my razor with cold water it was much less smooth while shaving. 🤷‍♂️

However the cool to cold water on my face results in a very slightly closer shave with no drawbacks.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have done cold water shaves in the heat of summer and it felt nice. I don't perceive any difference in the results, but some shavers have skin that prefers the cold water. You couldn't pay me enough to do cold water shaves in the winter. I have to steel my courage to do the cold water rinse after the shave - the winter cold water is around 49 degrees here. Lord, I hate winter.

Too hot water is not good for me. That can make the skin more sensitive. So, lukewarm water is more my style.

Shaving with cold water strikes me as like those medieval hair shirts monks used to wear for penance. It feels so good when you can finally take it off! But really, why suffer?

I prefer to use water warm enough to completely rinse soap off face and shaving gear. Cold water leaves a residue.

I bet that depending on where one lives, cold water to some might be warm water to others.

I prefer to use water warm enough to completely rinse soap off face and shaving gear. Cold water leaves a residue.

I bet that depending on where one lives, cold water to some might be warm water to others.
Indeed so @Frito Ray ……Also the molecular integrity of the water may change as well with one’s place on this planet.

Top Bottom