What's new

Ridiculously Dumb Classes

The best book on Management, of course, is Abram Maslov's 'Maslov on Management'
Just kidding, it is highly obscure, but if you want to learn some from the notes of one of the then leading psychologists it is a true gem.

W.

Yes, most introductory classes seem rudimentary while you're going through them. However, if first year students went right along to the more advanced stuff... well put it this way, it's hard to build a house without a good foundation. Besides, you'll take from the class what you put into it. I was shocked to discover that my text books that I paid so much for had way more information in them than what my professors were suggesting to us, or later talking about at lecture. Just because it's not discussed in the actual classroom, doesn't mean it's not worth learning.

$3000!?! Holy moley!
My University classes are ~$278.00 each, as a part time student, full time with all the benefits that go along with it is like $3000-$7000/year. At McGill University in Montreal, but is significantly more expensive if you're from outside Quebec, and even more if you're from outside Canada.

Although my next class is "into to computer operating systems"... which I think I'll feel the same way about; having been a windows nerd for a decade and a half and a Linux nerd for 3 years.

3) most of the time, groups produce better results than individuals, despite how smart you think you are.

I have a hard time with this one. It presupposes that the average IQ isn't 97.

I'd rather be lead by brilliance than by a group of average folks with a genius lumped in.

The average of them is less than the maximum of one individual.

This doesn't mean that one shouldn't be open to suggestions or ideas, but any time a group of people get together, the result is an average of opinions.

I'd rather be lead by brilliance than by a group of average folks with a genius lumped in.

This doesn't mean that one shouldn't be open to suggestions or ideas, but any time a group of people get together, the result is an average of opinions.

You would think that, but time and time again it's been proven that the process of arriving at consensus more often than not creates a better product than the effort of a single (even brilliant) person. There are a number of explanations for this.

Excellent reading on the subject is Eric Beinhocker's book The Origin of Wealth.

I actually agree with you on this. :thumbup1:

Unless it's a well oiled machine, trying to get even a 'smart' group of people to reach a decision is like wrangling cats.

I think it depends on the subject, doesn't it? Brilliant people do some incredible things, obviously, but many of them are also tremendously unhappy and unsuccessful in areas that don't depend on their intellect. While they may excel in one area, they may be deficient in others.

Also, brilliant people don't always lead well or even illustrate their ideas in a manner that is well structured, organized or comprehensible to those who aren't so bright.

Clearly, what we need is a group of brilliant people. Like, say, philosopher kings. I'm only kidding. Sort of.

Top Bottom